teens cannot be trusted | Teen Ink

teens cannot be trusted

By Lindsey.L SILVER, New York, California
Lindsey.L SILVER, New York, California

Teenagers cannot be trusted. That’s’ what comes into my mind all the time when I’m out in public. Being a teenager is hard, but some people make it harder for us. Ever notice when your walking around a store by yourself or with friends, and the sales people follow you? Ask you if you need anything or looking for something? Usually they’re just being nice, but they tend to follow you around the store, and well, if your being followed and watched it can tend to make you feel a bit mistrusted. Do people think just because were teens were some sort of uncontrollable unknown breed of human that should never be trusted? We’re always asked where we’re going and who we hang with, generally because are parents are concerned for us and make sure were not up to anything “bad”. But there’s so many questions we get asked, our homes are suddenly investigation rooms and were bad to the bone prisoners being interrogated for a villainous crime. I watched a show on doctor Phil once where a mother with no regard for privacy went through her children’s rooms at will. Went through their shoes, under they’re beds and tore their whole rooms apart on a regular basis looking for things that her kids shouldn’t have. Not only would I feel mistrusted by my family if this happened to me , but I would probably be compelled to hide things in my room that I shouldn’t. we should be bale to be trusted and be given a chance, otherwise this is just going to get worse for everyone

Great article !!! It is so important for parents to understand this

AshleySD BRONZE, Campbell, California
1 article 1 photo 90 comments
Yeah. If some teenagers act badly, everyone automatically assumes that all teenagers act like that. It's really unfair.

AshleySD BRONZE, Campbell, California
1 article 1 photo 90 comments
I know, right? You're not your parents. It's not like you're going to follow exactly in their footsteps. I hate hearing about when people like you are treated that way. It's just so unfair.

AshleySD BRONZE, Campbell, California
1 article 1 photo 90 comments
They wouldn't necessarily go out of business. And if you think that all teenagers would rob a store if they could, you are very wrong. Not all teenagers are bad.

Well, let's think about it. It takes time to follow people around a store, so why would shopkeepers follow teens and not the elderly? Could it be because the shopkeepers have experience regarding who is more likely to steal and who is not?

It would be nice to own a store and say "oh, I'll treat everyone equally, so I'll forget who is more likely to steal", but that person would go out of business. And Lexi, you know that many of your friends, if they knew of a store that didn't care about shoplifters, would flock to that store and pick it dry.

LunaLives GOLD said...
LunaLives GOLD, South Bend, Indiana

Because I can!-Me "Life is a choice and death is a decision"-Lil Wayne

You make a valid point. I wish I was trusted. I have been in foster care and they actualy put me in day care until about a month after I turned 14. It was soooo degrading. It made my selfesteem plumet. They shouldn't be able to do that.

I so agree!!

squeak BRONZE said...
squeak BRONZE, Redding, California

If you are true to love, love will be true to you. people are not evil just missjuided.

I agree with you on this, teens do bad things, but don’t grownups? that’s where some kids learn there behavior. though not all teens are bad, and parents need to realize were at the critical age of learning to be an adult, and the only way is to make mistakes and learn. I know when my mother got over suspicious of me, and tolled me she didn’t trust me. I went out and purposely did some thing horrid, because as long as she is gong to feel that way, it might as well be true. Parents need to trust there teens, and if they mess up don’t put them on complete lock down. We aren’t prisoners. If any thing id like to talk to my mom about how I messes up and instead of getting scolded be helped in making the right decision. I’m 17 and I’m happy about it, the feeling I get of slowly becoming an adult is thrilling, even though I wish most of that time was spent being trusted instead of in trouble ;)

??um?? said...
wow, this is so true and I myself am a teen so i would know. this is a great article =]

hollyhottell DIAMOND, Redding, California

poetry is a diary written out loud

this article is so true. evrytime i go somewhere i get asked where are you going what are you going to do whos going to be with you. cant we just have a little trust. ive also noticed something else that this article brought to my attension. im a foster kid. when people hear that they atomaticly label or look down on me. its not my fault my parents arnt capable of taking care of me. just because they do bad stuff does not mean im going to do it to. the more people dont trust me the more i feel like i should go out and do something bad. come on parents need to trust there kids.

BeckoningLovely GOLD, Wilmington, Delaware

"I think our favorite quotes say more about us than the people we are quoting," John Green

I have a funny story about that; I was at the ball park w/ my cousins and they are all like 16-18 and it was so funny this forty year old dude comes up and starts hanging around. We move away, he comes closer. It was really funny.

Robkingett PLATINUM, Tallahassee, Florida

When I was little they called me a liar, but now I'm grown up, they call me a writer.

I hate to tell you but it is teens that cause the problem. The bad ones that make us look like scum who steel something it is the stupid teens that make us look bad. Blame it on the idiot people who do drugs, who shop lift like it's some game, who rape women because it's fun. Blame them, because they cause all of this stereotypical behavior.

Lindsey.L SILVER, New York, California
I didnt mean to offened anyone, but this is an OPINION piece, and if you didn't agree with my article then thats your opnion, but don't tell me what I'm allowed to write and what I'm not. I do appreciate how poiletly you voiced your opinion , and I agree that they're are a lot of trust worthy teens, but I can see where your coming from, but next time please keep unconstructive critisism to your self

Shadow_girl said...
Comments like this need to be carefully worded without hurting peoples feelings- I don't agree with the author of this post; it's plain stupid to say that teenagers can't be trusted. Sure, some teens are out there, who can't be trusted with their own lives! And we need to help them, not PUT THEM DOWN. you can't go around saying teens can't be trusted. Its simply not fair. There are many teens who are trustworthy, responsible, loving, caring, kind, ect. Just because one teen makes a stupid mistake, doesn't mean the whole army of teens around the world can't be trusted.

Haha, the last comment really got me. I go to a $2 store and the older man literally FOLLOWS me around the store and watches me as I pick up certain things.

Please watch what you say, please do not post something like this again.

m1ssdezi BRONZE, Gulfport, Mississippi

Some say the world will end in fire;
Some say in ice.
From what I've tasted of desire
I hold with those who favor fire.
But if it had to perish twice,
I think I know enough of hate
To say that for destruction ice
Is also great
And would suffice.

i get it all the time like i am not doing anything bad so y are u treating me like this . its just not fare

straycat SILVER, Hatboro, Pennsylvania

I write entirely to find out what I'm thinking, what I'm looking at, what I see and what it means. What I want and what I fear.
Joan Didion

makes you wonder how we will look at teens 30 years from now. do you think it will be the same?

Phantom_Girl GOLD, Ft. Carson, Colorado

"If it comes out of the lion's mouth...it will be on the test."
-Mr. Bala

This is so incredibly accurate! It's amazing how many people think I'm having drugs and having sex just because I'm 15. My dad and step-mom accussed me of being on coke when I came home one day hyper. Even when I explained that this was due to an OD of Dr. Pepper, they didn't believe me.

catnipmoon said...
i get that same feeling it is the most annoying thing it is as if you can not even trust yourself when your in a store alone and the elder empoies eye you as if you are going to steal something when your just going to buy a shirt or tooth paste