Matthew Shepard | Teen Ink

Matthew Shepard

By maia11 SILVER, Urbandale, Iowa
maia11 SILVER, Urbandale, Iowa

A feeling of utter repulsion washed over me as I read about a remarkable young man who was raped, terrorized, brutally beaten, and murdered all because of his sexual orientation. Matthew Shepard was a newly independent college student with a bright life in front of him, before it was viciously stolen from him. On October 11th, 1998, Matthew Shepard was beaten, while two despicable assailants ignored his pleas for his life. After having beaten him into a coma, the two soulless maggots left him helpless tied to a fence post. After being found, he died on Oct. 12th 1998, but never woke up to say goodbye to his family.

As I read more about Matthew Shepard‘s story, I found myself feeling nauseous. There is an anti-gay Westboro Baptist Church of Topeka who took it upon themselves to not only slander homosexuals, at Matthew Shepard’s funeral, but also at the trial of his killers. These signs were not preaching that sins could be repented, they were filled with hatred. The signs read "God Hates F***," "Matt in Hell," "F*** Die [sic] God Laughs" and "USA= F** Nation." Those were just a few of the utterly hateful and repulsive propaganda that was polluting the funeral of Matthew Shepard. I was speechless, and mortified at this point upon reading this. I decided to research into this church. From the websites I visited, I thought they had to be hoaxes. I thought they were jokes, parodies, mockeries of the people who do not support gay marriage. I then came to find horrible images, as well as writings from people like this who made me want to vomit at the mere thought of saying I was the same species as these haters. For what reason do these unintelligent parasites, think that they have the divine ability to cast judgment upon people? What I then came to unfold made me so utterly livid I barely was able to sit.

I find it hard to fathom that the Westboro Church now has a way to speak to God and find his true intentions with these acts. I find it pitiful that they are making a ventriloquist act of God. Using his image to spout of their despicable sayings and lies. These people scrounge on the lowest of filth for their hateful propaganda. They use their Bibles as shields in their pathetic quest for divine power against us mere mortals. The Westboro Baptist Church (WBC) uses such appalling statements that make you wonder what twisted mind could formulate these unfathomable lines that bash and slander the helpless.

If desecrating Matthew Shepard’s funeral was not enough, then a monument MUST be erected. In some twisted way, he should be slandered for the rest of the monuments existence. The monument they hoped to erect was to say, “MATTHEW SHEPARD, Entered Hell October 12, 1998, in Defiance of God's Warning: 'Thou shalt not lie with mankind as with womankind; it is abomination.' Leviticus 18:22." If not for the lack of city permits, the law would allow this monument to stand “proud” in this boy’s town. Since when did smearing the name of the dead, become ok?

Going to heaven does not just depend on belief. Even the demons believe. Going to heaven depends on being born again. Born again means that you are dead to sin and Jesus is made Lord of your life. The Bible explicitly condemns homosexuality. So I encourage you turn away from your carnal nature. We all need help with it. We just need to make Jesus the Lord and King of our lives. :) God bless!

silence21 GOLD said...
silence21 GOLD, Terre Haute, Indiana

I hope to change someones life one word at a time. Hopefully, it's a positive change and it's for the better, but any change at all is a step to an amazing new future.

Who says it couldn't happen? As long as you're a good person and have love in your heart, you can go anywhere and no one person can you tell you you're not going to Heaven.

silence21 GOLD said...
silence21 GOLD, Terre Haute, Indiana

I'm happy that you wrote this because people need to know these things, they shouldn't keep these things quiet. I mean, didn't the Bible say God loves everyone?

Good Job :)

Going to heaven depends on your belief that Jesus was God's son if you are christian. I am sure you, Bahena, have not been the model Christian. Don't play God and say whether people are going to heaven or not.

GiSELA SILVER said...
GiSELA SILVER, Escondido, California

Life is about doing things people said you couldn't do.

That's not gonna happen honey.

GiSELA SILVER said...
GiSELA SILVER, Escondido, California

You're right the author was judging them as well.

GiSELA SILVER said...
GiSELA SILVER, Escondido, California

I have read Mathew's story several times. I don't support gay marriage but i don't discriminate. People should not be killed by their sexual orientation. I would never discriminate or kill someone for being gay . It is not fair and should not be done. I respect gay people even though i may not like their actions but that is just me.

This article was amazingly well written and I totally agree with you! You really stressed how human hatred is limitless and how man's actions can be repulsive no matter how far we have come. This is publish-in-the-magazine-worthy! Six out of five stars.

tori_nastasi11 BRONZE, San Antonio, Texas

Violence is not the answer...it's only the solution

WOW!!! Thank you SO much for writing this opinion on Gay Rights. I was in complete awe when I read what you found out about WBC. What they did is completly rude and way beyond wrong. I am so glad that you took the time to research both Matthew Shepard and WBC. I admire your courage to write this, and I hope that many others will have the ability to read what you have written.

Jellabean said...
I believe that a marriage is between a man and a woman. But that is my belief and I respect what others believe. I do though however think that if you are imposing on others then it is not a good thing. I think you should be careful though, you mentioned that they are judging others and I noticed that in your own way you were judging them. I think that other then that you did a great job.

Evangeline said...
That church is terrible! Is it a church or is a tool of violence desecrating Christianity under the pretext of being Christians.
Even though I'm against gay stuff, I think that we should still love gays not because we agree in what we are doing but because we should pity them instead of condemning them. What would Jesus do? He loved the sinners. He hates sin but he loves the sinners. Killing a gay would not change anyone opinions about gays. Instead, it portrays a negative image of the anti- gay rights movement.

DizzyRae PLATINUM, Fort Washington, Maryland

“For one human being to love another; that is perhaps the most difficult of our tasks; the ultimate, the last test and proof; the work for which all other work is but preparation.”
-Rainer Maria Rilke

terrible...I am gay and still believe I can go to heaven

Sunshineyday said...
This is a church of crazy people. Their behavior is heinous, they just love to hate.

you can fight the force by just being a loving peaceful person.