Racism: The Dark Side of America | Teen Ink

Racism: The Dark Side of America

By Ashlee-Monroe SILVER, Caledonia, Michigan
Ashlee-Monroe SILVER, Caledonia, Michigan

"You may not write well every day, but you can always edit a bad page. You can't edit a blank page" -Jody Picoult

Racism is a prejudice against somebody based on how they looked, I'm sure you've heard about it with the Black Lives Matter Movement, along with other terms like sexist, homophobic, and probably a billion others in the past couple of years. Well, I'm here to talk about why racism is so bad for America, plus other countries, and why people shouldn't be racist and just be accepting of everybody. The issue is that some people have been raised to think that being light-skinned is better than being dark-skinned or anything else, but that's just stupid, because we are all humans so the fact that somebody would judge somebody on how they look, in my personal opinion, is very wrong. In America alone, 55% of African people feel like they are still treated unfairly to lighter-skinned people. America itself isn't a racist country, but some people inside America are racist and they are making people who aren't light-skinned feel like they don't belong in America. I'm begging everybody who reads this article, please don't be racist, even if your family is, just try to accept everybody, I promise it will make a difference to that person if they have experienced racism towards them before. Thank you for reading this article.

I go to school in a mainly light-skinned public school. Most people I don't think are racist, but their parents might be. This article was inspired because I was watching about some makeup companies not including Black people in their makeup lineups.