Yes, I Am a Feminist! | Teen Ink

Yes, I Am a Feminist!

By Dani_Higareda PLATINUM, Hanahan, South Carolina
Dani_Higareda PLATINUM, Hanahan, South Carolina

“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.”
- Winnie the Pooh

Men think women aren’t as strong as they are. They think women are weak and vulnerable. This stereotype began since the creation of Adam and Eve and has been going on for a very long time. It’s very bothersome when teachers need someone to run an errand and retrieve something heavy and they automatically turn to the boys in the class, not even bothering to look at any of the girls. I mean, how sexist is this? Extremely sexist. This is why I’m a feminist. Because I’m very tired of hearing sexist jokes, sexist comments, and of women and girls being treated like they are worth less than men and boys.

The common argument that women are weaker than men is a myth. Are men the ones who have to endure the intense pain during childbirth? Of course not. It is a fact that women endure more pain than men, therefore making us just as strong as men. In my culture, women are considered lesser than men. It is believed that we don’t have the same power as they do. We are treated as though we don’t have the potential to achieve anything greater than the role of housewife. Women don’t belong in kitchens, taking care of babies, or staying at home. Cooking is something that every independent person should know how to do, regardless of gender. The biggest mistake man ever made was to deny women their rights. The biggest mistake woman ever made was to give up those rights so easily.

The truth is that men cannot function without women. Women are strong, powerful, and brave! We are not crazy, dramatic, or weak! We demand to be heard because our voices have been ignored for so long. If you’re a female and you’re reading this, don’t be afraid to speak out against sexism. If you’re a male and you’re reading this, learn to be a good man and treat women with dignity. Sexism is wrong. Real men aren’t the ones with the biggest muscles or the toughest personalities. Real men are the ones who treat women with the respect they deserve. Real men know that their own mothers are women, and therefore, they do not discriminate women. So girls and women, the next time you hear or see sexism, speak out against it! And when you hear a guy saying, “Stop acting like a girl”, don’t get embarrassed or sad; instead, face that person and tell them how proud you are of being a girl. Tell them that being a girl means being compassionate, brave, strong, and powerful. And if they can’t accept that, they are going to have to accept it sooner or later because we, women and girls, are here to stay and fight for our rights and will continue to do so, because we are worth it!

I hope that everyone starts waking up and realizing that we are in the 21st century and that women must be treated with respect. It's time for sexism to end! Spread the word about feminism, and don't be afraid to stand up for what is right!