Just Take a Walk | Teen Ink

Just Take a Walk

By cambriecrosby BRONZE, Cedar City, Utah
cambriecrosby BRONZE, Cedar City, Utah

A surprising 1 in 5 teens suffer from mental disorders. Many suffering from more than one mental disorder at a given time. As years go on this number only increases, especially when it comes to diagnosis of depression and anxiety. This information isn’t only a statistic as it directly affects you, me, and many of  the people around us constantly. Many, including peers, friends, and even family may be suffering with these problems.

The big question here is  how do we help decrease the number of rising teens who constantly struggle with this?

One solution is by  simply improving the way we function daily. Many of these issues can start seeing solutions when we introduce small things, such as exercise, into daily routines.

Exercising can improve many aspects of Mental Health.

When you exercise, many brain chemicals (such as serotonin)  and “feel good endorphins” will be released, causing enhanced well being and an overall better mood. As serotonin levels increase so does functionality. The brain will regulate mood, sleep and appetite. Various studies have also proven that regular exercise works as well as  medication to some people, as it reduces the symptoms for anxiety and depression.  As time goes on, continuous exercise may significantly reduce them. For some people, the effects of this have shown to be long lasting.

Using my own mother as an example we can see this happen. She had been training for a half marathon for some time, but it was put to a momentary halt when family came over. 

For a week, she was taking care of seven kids all hours of the day and by the end, she described herself as feeling like a “nervous wreck and down in the dumps because it was a very  hard time keeping up with everyone” The following saturday when she was  finally able to  pick her exercise routine back up, she did an 8 mile run through the canyon,  she said it was like all the anxiety had disappeared and she was on the biggest high. 

After that refreshing workout she said she “ improved and felt much better with life.”

Not only can exercise improve mood and symptoms, it also improves perception of social life and having low self esteem. Social withdrawal and low self esteem are major factors in the appearance of mental illnesses. Of course, exercising regularly will improve the way you feel about your body image, as you would be keeping yourself healthy and fit. But social skills also play into this. Exercising with others, like a sports team, will promote new friendships and improved social skills. 

Once High school started and I joined sports teams like Swim and Cross Country, I've made more friends and talked to tons of new people that I never would have even noticed if it weren't for these activities. This has dramatically changed my life, and maybe even prevented me from feeling depressed, worthless, or sad with the way I had been living before.

Another personal challenge that can be improved with the addition of physical activity is brain power. Research shows that moderate exercise will improve memory and cognitive flexibility while high intensity exercise  improves information processing. 

Earlier I spoke about good brain chemicals that are released when you exercise. Along with chemicals that improve mood, chemicals that promote the production of brain cells can be released. 

A study published in Neurology shows that brain memory and thinking capacity is larger in people who exercise regularly and that poor physical fitness at a younger age may lead to smaller brain sizes later in life. Getting sleep also contributes to better overall function, including that of the brain. 

Although Coping with the challenges life throws at you can be difficult, getting regular exercise and keeping up with your physical health can help you tackle these challenges and live the best life you can. 

So, next time you may start to  feel any kind of decline in your mental, or maybe even physical health, Just take a walk. 

This is a speech on one way to prevent and help cope with the appearance, and effects of menal disorders.