The Importance of Music in Schools | Teen Ink

The Importance of Music in Schools MAG

"Music helps the mind develop and grow," my dad often says, and I have found this to be very true. It is a proven fact that participating in a music program in school will help develop your brain to a higher level and faster than other students. Music actually improves communication between the right and left sides of the brain, allowing you to gain better comprehension and memorization skills.

So, why do we need music in our schools? Well, because music is everything.

Music is science. It is exact and demands acoustics. The conductor's score is a graph that contains volume changes, melody and harmony, all the while keeping the group at a constant pace.

Music is math. It is based on the rhythmic subdivisions of time, done in a split second.

Music is history. The music you hear or play is usually an indication of the time and environment in which it was created.

Music is physical education. It requires an immense amount of coordination of fingers, hands, arms, lips, cheeks and facial muscles. Not to mention control of your diaphragm, back, stomach and chest muscles to make sure every note comes out clearly and in pitch.

Music is a foreign language. Its terms are usually in Italian and the music is not in any language known to man. It is its own language and uses symbols to represent ideas.

Music is the universal language that everyone understands and can relate to. Music is what brings everything together. It is something that everyone knows.

Most of all, music is art. It is the greatest form of art that allows a human to take boring notes on a page, and transform them into an emotion and feeling you cannot measure.

Music is just as important as all the classes you are required to take, and it is critical that music classes remain in schools. Not only to provide a place for students to belong, but also something that will help their minds grow and develop like no other class. Music is a very important part of our life, and if we take it away, who knows what the world would be like.

Iphone user said...
music develop our thinking power and give a type of relaxatio.My views are about music only. thanks for reading and i love music.

Maryk PLATINUM said...
Maryk PLATINUM, Waterford, Michigan

"The ability to learn is greater than the ability to teach." - Arnold Jacobs
"He who slays monsters will become a monster himself"-Nietzsche
"UNLESS someone like you cares a whole awful lot nothing is going to get better its not"-Dr.Suess
“They are poor, especially for the player, I think it is very difficult to have auditions and find a suitable way to judge, because we have a great many talented players to choose from. This means a lot of heartbreak for the people who are very capable.”-Arnold Jacobs, Teacher and Tuba Player

Why do you find it a bore music is all around us you cannot escape its power.

Nothing said...
Hello how are you

Nothing said...
Hello how are you

Nothing said...
Hello how are you

tony said...
We should not blame the whole company when one employee did not do right. Company has rules but some employee do not listen.

mylifeasapincushion GOLD, Redlands, California

"Extremist have shown what frightens them most: A girl with a book"
-Malala Yousafzai

I love the simplicity of this. It is everything it needs to be, no fluff no bull. The truth is said and the audience informed.

annycs13 GOLD said...
annycs13 GOLD, Davis, California

"The less you reveal, the more people can wonder.."

-Emma Watson

This is great, it's very real and speaks the truth in so many ways. I love music, both playing it and listening to it. I think that this essay is very important and I give my awe to the author of this article.

sinner demon said...
this is like wow

Hoobaa said...
It is the best essay on music I have ever had

OrangeClementine BRONZE, Woodbridge, Other

"We go down to go up, in to go out, and back to go forward." - Jason Mraz

I really enjoyed reading your work, especially considering my passion for music and my support for further developments in the music program in schools. I was somewhat surprised, however, to find that this article contained the same points and almost exactly the same wording as this image that has been circulating around Facebook recently.

http://api.ning.com/files/EkfpzJQeKDlzY23DsgAgi7XHsDe0RL7igGEJ*8pXyT0hNJ9K*RSOCSW5clAhTuitHRG6RiqFnXiBbIO3*vc9O1QK6Cpvy7-V/WhyTeachMusic.jpg

Could it be possible that you've seen this image and been inspired? It might be worth referencing this image just in case, so that you don't have to face any accusations about plagarism. :)

MagusEceerb SILVER, Buttville, South Carolina
Thank you for this!  This describes music perfectly!

it is amazing and true that music is the most important

Rocinante SILVER, Wexford, Pennsylvania
Great article! Your point is excellent as well. Music is very important.

nida cullen said...
that amazing....... you are probaly very talented. Hope u follow your dreams to the fullest...!!!!!!!!!! :)

compelledviolinist8 BRONZE, Los Angeles, California

"Better a diamond with a flaw than a pebble without" or "I would rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not."

I could not have said this better myslef! this is amazing! great job! i agree with u 100%

fireball said...
I agree, but only if you have a passion for music.But i personally find music a bore, why would we need to learn more if you already understand?Exquisite writing and opinions, but 8/10 students find music to unimportant unless they want to get involved in that sector of business.

jemter GOLD said...
jemter GOLD, Oakley, California
i agree compleatly. i am going to be the only one representing my class when i enter highschool because the kids in my class have been driven so far away from band. I play clarinet, tennor sax, piano, and am in a extreamly legit choir, that, i might add, recently was invited to greece, new york, and wales. my choir isn't through school, but i wish my fellow band members wern't tempted out. music is life- it makes news, gains popularity, develops carears, inspieres and touches hearts around the world, and people even pay money to listen to it.

SpringRayyn PLATINUM, Lakeville, Minnesota

"Don't punish yourself," she heard her say again, but there would be punishment and pain, and there would be happiness too. That was writing."
--Markus Zusak, "The Book Thief"

Well I never really thought of music as MATH, but the foreign language part I like. I guess that means I'm better at math than I thought lol. C: But really, when you said no man on earth knows the language and then later said everyone can understand and relate to music, it was a little confusing. I mean, really that doesn't make sense and at the same time it does, get it? Yeah I can't remember what else I was going to say...