Eternal Horizons: Singularity | Teen Ink

Eternal Horizons: Singularity

By NRVH, Seminole, Florida
NRVH, Seminole, Florida

Author's note:

This whole world is a mishmash of things that I've been inspired by, and eventually I turned this inspiration into something. This entire fictional universe has been a very long going passion project of mine, and as of late I feel comfortable enough to share this work.  
The reason for why I am submitting this, is well for a project in creative writing although that didn't stop me from pouring my heart and soul into this work. Nonetheless what Im getting at is this isn't a one off story, Its the first story I am proud to share with the world.   

The Isvis region, a land of vast wealth, is extremely rich in resources that elsewhere are extremely hard to find. Not to mention the large amount of Hyperclusters in the Isvis region, all this said making it the perfect breeding ground for sentient life, and it indeed is an exceptionally large breeding ground for sentient life. In an age where even the Humans have reached the stars, a place like the Isvis is so densely packed with different factions all with different ideologies, there is upwards of a million in that small region, making it very chaotic.  
Of course, having a region so rich in resources, many would want to get said resources; the Voidivaks, The Solarians, The Kotekians, and even us the Plasmanians,  and others, all have once controlled part of that region or fought over it. With all that said, strange things can happen here, some more unexplainable than others. 
“General, sorry to interrupt your little daydream, but we need you over here” a voice came from out of nowhere  
“Alright on my way” I replied, making my way to the bridge of the ship, instantly I said, 
General Roth was a Plasmanian, Plasmanians being almost human in appearance but much more diverse biologically, Plasmanians were Nitrogen based lifeforms, and as their home planet had a slightly lower gravity than normal, they are much taller, around 10-12ft on average. Not to mention their slower aging, the Average Plasmanian can live up to 250 years without medical intervention, but because of Plasmanian technological advancements, if one wished they could expand their life further, as Plasmanian medicinal technology is able to nearly stop Plasmanian aging but prevent their death from natural causes like brain death, The only flaw to this is that if one fully lived out an extended life, their bones would become so weak and brittle, that if said Plasmanian was not in a gravity neutralizing suit at all times, their bones dissolve into a powder, and they die of the pain soon afterwards. But that stage has been noted to happen only after a Plasmanian has lived upwards of 940 eons, of course this is all based on calculations as no Plasmanian has lived this long. As of modern day, the Plasmanians have managed to expand their influence from the Far Isvis, to all the way to the Icarus region. General Roth, being a Plasmanian was around 10 ft tall, mildly scarred had a palish appearance, and his decay was similar to a human in their 60’s despite him being 2140 years old. "What is it” I asked. 
 “General Roth, there's an unidentifiable ship that was detected during 0:28” The Navigator responded. “It's just a small ship what's the big deal? it looks destroyed already.” I responded.  
The Navigator was a robotic being attached to the ship, even though its brain is in the bridge, it can easily access the entire ship, the Navigator was one of many different Navigators, all taking a similar appearance. On the bridge where its brain was, the Navigator had a body, mostly a metallic cocoon of sorts, it has protocol to eject from that cocoon if the ship crashed onto a planet, but the ship is very much not crashed. The navigator is interesting, its body is slim, but head is big, and it had one big metallic eye. I am aware that they have the brain of a Starbird; which are space dwelling birds that survive off sunlight, and their brains are used for these Navigators because of the Starbird's excellent Navigation skill. 
 “Yes, but it is broadcasting Plasmanian distress signal 148-U, and the ship is not recognizable, all identifier signals are gone, the ship's model looks Plasmanian but it is seemed to be made from an unidentifiable material.” “148-U? If I remember correctly that means, Half of fleet destroyed, Ship heavily damaged, Hostile attack, Uncharted Space, what is in that Singularity.” I stated, “The ship appears to be a corvette class, estimating our average fleet sizes, I predict the corvette was used as an escape ship, but it appears that something got to the crew first.” The Navigator Stated. 

“Wait, but the signal said that only half the fleet was destroyed, maybe we can send an expedition fleet and figure out what happened to them.” I said with some excitement. “I would suggest-” the Navigator tried to say “Alright Navigator, get a chart for my fleet, we’re going into that Singularity” “yes sir” the Navigator said with a hint of disappointment.  

It was a fleet of around 4 ships, an expeditionary one long and sleek, with a silver-colored hull and front facing bride. They were facing the unknown, the singularity waiting for the signal then all ships would jump full throttle into the singularity, they had to go full speed as time slowed the closer one got to a singularity. Faster and faster, then slower and slower, the ships approached the singularity. We did not know if we would find anything on the other side, but we assumed so as something on the other side found us. Still this fear of the unknown, something so primal, something that is barely felt anymore, affected us so deeply. We had no idea what we were about to witness, no idea what would be on the other side.  
We knew how a singularity affected matter, of course we threw countless drones into it, yet we never really knew what was past its horizon, the drones would always cut feed when they got past the horizon. Things began to stretch, the already decently long bridge started becoming even longer, in fact if it were not for the heightened artificial gravity, I would say that gravity shifted, but it did not. I am still standing on the floor, and not the wall. While time for us has not slowed, any observer would see us progressing to the singularity at an awfully slow pace. “Alright crew, program the jump drive straight into the event horizon.” I commanded, followed by a long amount of clicking and pressings, “Sir its online, when you give the order” One of the crew members said, “alright let's see what this has to offer, proceed with the jump” I said, the room bolted back, then forward, back then forward, then the entire ship bolted back enough to almost knock me off my feet. We were here, the event horizon. As old protocol, when in unknown lands send out a drone, but considering the number of drones we have sent out, I will cut the middleman and we just go in there us. Navigator, see if you can plot a chart in unknown lands,” I said, the Navigator responded with understanding and the fleet set towards the event horizon. 

A call was coming through, from one of the neighboring ships.  
“Vlaon, I just woke up, WHAT HAVE YOU DONE NOW!”  
“Oh, you know me Olva, I see something interesting, and I want to check it out” I responded, “Great so I am stuck along for the ride? Because it looks like were at your destination.” Olva said “Seems so, well that’s interesting th- Hello? Hello?” Dammit, she closed coms again.  
“General, prepare for entrance to the event horizi-” The navigator tried to say before getting cut off, as we entered the horizon, the ship shook violently almost knocking me off my feet. As the shaking came to a halt I opened my eyes, expecting some magical mystical land, or even the fabled Avarian Cluster, or more realistically a more interesting version of space. As I opened my eyes, I ended up seeing something identical to what I left from, there were minor differences like the space itself was a darker purplish for some odd reason, and there were a lot of weird slim debris, but that is about it. Everything else seemed the same.  
“Navigator can you assess our situation?” I asked, “Scanning.... I have scanned an overall distance of 10 Megaparsecs and have found 8-star systems with two containing lives. The closest system is 4.2 Megaparsecs away from our current location the furthest, 8.9 megaparsecs.” The Navigator replied instantaneously. “Hm, those are both quite far, head to the closest one so we have somewhere we can gather more resources while we figure out what to do next” I stated. And so, we started heading to where the system is. A megaparsec is big, yes but our Plasmanian technology has been able to cross universes for eons now, so megaparsecs should not be too big of a problem, hopefully.  

“Navigator, plot our course and let's get to that system.” I said, “Yes sir, we will be there momentarily.” The navigator replied. As the fleet started its course, comes went back online, I noticed there was a call coming through, from Olva again, to nag me about something. Pressing the button that answers the contact request, her face showed up on the holographic screen, “So, how about it?” I asked. “It looks pretty in a strange way, but as mesmerized as I am by the view, I'm still a bit angry for you dragging me into this!” Olva snapped “Alright! All right! I get it, I apologize, I know I tend to be quite quick on decisions.” I responded, “So far no one's harmed so it's fine, but you know that this little expedition you’re doing could end up a disaster, right?” Olva said “Yes, I'm quite aware, that’s why the ships I brought were combat ships, so if something happens, we can be ready” I said. “Alright. I would suggest, being your higher up, that you take this with the utmost caution even if you can have up to date combat fleet. Olva said, “Got I” I said before being cut off. “Formalities?” -Olva said singingly “I hate it when you do this, you know I'm going to be promoted in a month.” I stated, “But in that time you’re General Roth and I'm Senior General Voldi, besides you take this too seriously” Olva said, “I'm too serious, what about Zveta? seems like there I was relaxed while you were all Hyperstrict warlord.” I rebutted. “Zveta was 79 years ago, we have our moments, seems like this is one of yours so I’ll step back” Olva said, “wha- alright?” I spoke. Then the coms ended, for someone on a ship to my left acted like they were face to face.  
This foreign land, Olva was right, it did look beautiful as odd as it is, it looks nice, but I cannot shake that deep feeling that something is off, but then again, I am always on edge, probably even more because this place is new, why did I even decide to go in with such lack of hesitation?  I had no idea what I was getting into, but now that I am in this situation might as well stargaze. In this strange purplish sky everything seemed new, but there was a strangely familiar pattern in the stars. I decided to look for where the star of Stava Lida was, where I was previously stationed. Navigator, pull up a starchart” I said. “Sorry I don’t think that would be any use, in this situation.” The Navigator replied. “Navigator, do it, I have a hunch.” I said with a tint of frustration. “Yes sir” the Navigator responded.  
With a high-pitched beeping noise, a holographic map of the stars from our multiverse showed, predictably, it didn’t match, or did it, I know these formations are familiar, just not from where we have the star chart. I proceeded to adjust the map; it had this setting in case of misalignment, after spending 30 minutes tinkering with the starchart, it matched. The map was reversed from where it would be in the normal multiverse. I was taken aback, if this place really were some weird, reversed multiverse this would mean this planet with life we are heading to is Plava Uril, which while undeveloped it was rich in Kadium, a strong and reliable metallic material that was used for construction, but we stopped using it after we created Virtuim. Considering we might be on our own, the Kadium deposits on Plava Uril could come into use, but there also could be no Kadium, as we still have almost no information on this strange reality, we are in. 
 “General Roth” a com picked up from another ship in the fleet, “Yes?” I responded. “One of our maintenance crew members reported this strange greenish dust, and upon further inspection this dust seems to be clinging on to our ships.” The Corporal said, “This is interesting, Corporal Lurn, see what you can figure out about this, we don’t want to have our ships identification tags to be covered by space dust, that would cause a lot of problems, Corporal, collect a sample off of your ship, see what your research teams can find.” I spoke. “I Was already on it; we’ll see what we can find general” Lurn responded.  
“Sir, we are nearing our destination... We will reach it in about 12 minutes...” The Navigator said, “Navigator, can you scan the properties of the planet?” I asked Yes...” The navigator responded, “well?” I asked. “There were only four detectable known materials, Kadium, Virtuim, Niridum and Hydrogen” The navigator said “Wait, Virtuim and Niriduim? Is not Virtuim what we use to make our ship's hull, and Niridium, to fuel our thrusters. Oh wait.... The Navigator picked up our own ships, that explains it. I really need to talk to higher command about getting a new navigator.” I mumbled to myself.  

The Plasmanian Empire in its current state had just exited the “Twins war” which was a massive civil war, led by Uris, the twin of Jivan. An argument a while back started about which one of them was the heir and would lead the Empire, eventually it was settled that they would both lead each other, but this had almost nothing to do with the twins' war. The war was caused as Uris did not like the ruling of the empire; he wanted something different despite the fact of the Empires council system. Uris got a lot of people to back him, and with his authority he managed to take over a large part of the empire. Then his true colors showed, Uris’s idea of a better ruling system was total military control. So, Uris’s Legion and the Plasmanian Empire went to war, both parties ramping up military production by a lot. Eventually the Plasmanian Empire emerged victorious. Uris was dealt with, and the Plasmanian Empire went back to normal production. The thing is, that war was over 4000 years ago, and the Plasmanian Empire has never gotten rid of the ships from that time, leading a majority of its military to have outdated equipment, like I do. While yes reusage is good, the plasmanian military is mostly made of those old ships and weapons, which can get problematic when fighting anything equal in technology. 
But that is a problem I cannot fix, no matter how many times I have brought it up, high command always says, “we can't just rebuild an entire army” Mark my words, this ancient ship is going to be the death of me. 
“Sir we have reached the system” The Navigator spoke, “Great, stay cautious though” I said  
As we arrived at the system, I noticed it was as beautiful as it was in our own reality. The large bright light blue star in the center, and the three planets that orbit it. One of them, being a hot desolate wasteland, in fact you could visually see the side of the asteroid impacted rock, that faced was star visibly hotter than the cold side, one could say the surface was melted. The second planet the reason we came, a beautiful habitable planet, had a pair of rings that surrounded it. The planet contained a light red ocean, and light purple terrain. Although there were two downsides to the planet, we do not know about this reality, and in our normal reality this planet's atmosphere was oxygen based and plasmanians cannot breathe oxygen, while breathable for some time, as there is usually nitrogen in the atmosphere, we would rather not take that risk. Then the third planet, a cold barren world, it is a dirty yellow gaseous planet with a few moons, nothing too appealing mostly hydrogen based, it might come in use, but just not now, we might settle down near the gas giants moons as it is habitable considering its atmosphere is near the perfect balance for us to breathe.  
I gave the order, and we set towards the moon. While being in a strange new reality, it looked almost the same; the green terrain, the bright blue oceans, it was certainly a sight.  
“Sir, this is Corporal Lurn, our research teams have figured out that the dust, is made from some kind of antimatter, its mostly harmless to our ship's hull, but it is the interior we are worried about, if this manages to get inside our ships, it will spread faster than Dosnariam in a city planet. We have tested it, so far, we know it can mess with our tech, we do not know what It does to us, and we do not really want to know.”  
“This is interesting, well then protocol Closed fleet goes into action. Make sure we do not launch anything from the hangars, we do not want this in our ships” I said  
“Yes sir” Corporal Lurn said, closing the coms. 
“This might come to your concern, General Roth, I have detected.... 2 ships within sight range, the ships are covered in this.... Green Dust” The navigator blurted. “Try to establish coms. Let's be careful”  
I waited for the navigator to try to establish coms with these ships, these were potentially a whole new undiscovered species, so we had to be ready for anything, especially if they were-.  
The closer ship shot one of its cannons, hitting the farthest ship to my right. 
“OPEN FIRE” I yelled.

What once was a peaceful space turned into a Warfield. Hundreds of shots blazed past each other, shots grazing ships and some even hitting. We did not know who these hostiles were, but we knew they were hostile and had similar technology to us. The first ship to fall was one of ours, but we did not have time to mourn the losses, not yet. Interestingly as I took my eyes off the battle for one moment, I saw that with every hit our ships took, the dust took its place.  
With that information, I grabbed the coms and yelled “EVERYONE GET YOUR SUITS, ON NOW” I rushed to grab mine. These suits were Plasmanian combat suits, equipped for any type of combat, ground, water, space, air, you name it. These suits had a white-like color with a secondary black coloration, a visor that one could see out of, and they were completely sealed off, having the only way to breathe in them via a tight and strong air filtration system which had compressed air that could last for up to 2 months without being replaced.  
As my suit covered my body, I noticed that the battle was nearly done, but our fleet had deteriorated, we needed reinforcements. So, I commanded we ignore the closed fleet order and send out one corvette, with the distress signal 148-U, as it fit our situation almost perfectly. The corvette launched, and I saw it from the bridge, it started towards the singularity. As the hostiles saw this, they swerved to open fire on the corvette, most of the shots missed thanks to the corvettes small size, but after time one of the shots hit, decimating the ship, which caused the dust to cover it almost immediately, but by some miracle the ship still kept its course, albeit it slowed a bit from the shot, I estimated that it might take it around 28 hours to get there, it's nothing too concerning as at least it will get past the singularity.  As we took down one of the hostile ships, it was blown into two. We focused fire on the last ship, and it focused fire Corporal Lurn’s ship. After 15 minutes of this, the Hostile ship was destroyed. I looked over to Lurn’s ship, to see it was completely covered in dust. I sent a com to check in, and upon me sending the com request, The ship started to accelerate, faster and faster, it was going to crash into the planet, and that was exactly what it did, I doubt anyone survived, when it crashed it was going at a speed of 1609.34 kilometers per second. 
“Navigator, do a SITREP,” I said “Yes sir.... Outership Coms are dysfunctional Intership Coms are functional... hull is damaged, Sheilds are Inoperable, guns are online, engines online. Recommended plan of action... scour the hostile ships for resources.” the navigator listed. “Alright, you know despite being old, you still got good ideas” I said, the navigator looked at me unamused.  

I set off to gather a few people and get a ship, to explore the dust covered ships, as we got into a transport and the hangars opened, and the dust crept in, we set off. The ship was in pieces so we would have to split up, I decided to take the upper area, where the bridge was. As I explored the ship, I could not help but think its interior was familiar. I shook it off and kept moving forwards, I came across a bit of a broken interior, it was very sharp, sharp enough to break into a ship, I tried to sneak past it, and did but a bit of my leg armor got scraped. “Just a little scrape, won't kill me” I thought to myself. I was facing the doors to the bridge; forcing them open I was met with uncanny familiarity. I blinked a bit just to make sure I was really seeing this right, the ship's bridge almost untouched, by the dust that is, but it seems that despite it not being too affected by the dust, there's no sign of life here either. Throughout the ship I noticed a lack of bodies, considering a ship of this size should have a crew of around 15,000. Well, there were around 40 bodies on the bridge, and most of them were covered in dust. The dust was eating away at the crew, but replacing the ship's hull, like it was a parasite that took over, but this ship’ s bridge seemed familiar... too familiar  
As I neared it, I saw a navigator; destroyed and partially covered in dust. I checked the navigator and how it was plugged into the ship. I easily assessed that the navigator wasn’t stolen, as each navigator has a chip in them that contains an identification code, these must be replaced every time, they are dislodged from a ship, if the chip isn’t replaced it scrambles itself into a false identification code. I checked the code and I saw it was valid, it strangely matched up with my ship's code, that might just be from the dust, but this is still a valid code which would mean this was a Plasmanian ship, but how? I thought we were the first to be here, the bridge itself wouldn’t be helpful, as it was heavily damaged, so I inspected the bodies, to see if they were anyone I recognized. “Nothing, nothing, nothing, nothing,” I muttered to myself. Then I caught a glimpse of something, rebounded, and I saw something familiar. I was in disbelief, “No... That cannot be possible.... that's my suit!” I said in shock. I double checked the suit I saw in front of me was the suit I was wearing. I flipped the body over, there was a scratch on the leg, the exact same one I got two minutes earlier. I was frozen in shock, this wasn’t possible, “No... This isn’t happening.” I muttered, I grasped at the helmet, and pressed the button that opened it.  
Under the helmet, I saw myself, it was like staring in a mirror, except if something killed your reflection. “This would mean, that those hostiles, were us....” I muttered. “But why, why would they shoot if they knew they were us?” I muttered. I recalled, the dust messes with technology, “our fate is sealed unless we stop that corvette.” I thought. But by now it's too late, with this in mind I returned to the transport, amplified its coms, contacted Olva, and debriefed her on this information. We wouldn’t have a lot of time to prepare, only about 28 hours. Even if we prepared and fixed our ships, our fate is sealed. By this point the dust has fully covered our ship’s hull and has started to eat away at the older ships. This reality is not just antimatter, it is a completely revered version of our reality, including time. That’s why the starchart had to be reversed, why the destroyed navigators chip matched, and why I encountered myself.... We have found ourselves in a time loop. Who knows how long this has been going on, who knows if it will be endless. 
I just hope we can hit that corvette this time and end this madness once and for all....