In the Mind of an Introvert | Teen Ink

In the Mind of an Introvert

July 22, 2017
By Artistic_Geek_Roo_10 SILVER, Albuquerque, New Mexico
Artistic_Geek_Roo_10 SILVER, Albuquerque, New Mexico
6 articles 0 photos 28 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Happiness can be found in the darkest of places, but only if one remembers to turn on the light."
Albus Dumbledore


You probably don't know me. You probably haven't seen me. You don't know my name, my age, the color of my hair. I'm the one who sits in the corner while everyone else laughs. I'm the one who's alone. No friends, no one to talk to. The one stuck in a foresaken bubble.

Every time I make a new friend, we get along for a while. But then, something sparks in the other person. They realize I'm not worth their time. They turn their back and leave me alone.

At parties, gatherings, even school, I sit back and watch everyone else. The kids who act like the queen or king, the kids who do what everyone else does just because they don't know any better, the ones who don't care about anyone else and do what they want. I sit back, longing for a home. A friend. A nice acquaintance even. But no one sees me. I'm just another shadow.

There's people in this world that pretend to be nice to me, maybe because they feel like they have to. I feel seperate. They wave, they smile and say hi. Then, they go about their day like I never existed. They look at me funny when I look at their big group of friends with longing and hope. I try to squeeze in and join in on the conversation, but they push me out again. I try to talk with them, but I hear what they say about other people and want to leave. It breaks my heart to hear what they say.

"She's so ugly, did you see her face? Even makeup couldn't help her."

"Her hair is so stupid, and her clothes? Don't make me go there."

No one seems to acknowledge the introverts. The loners. I struggle every day. There's very few people who actually branch out to us. Trying to branch out is so hard for me and for others. People miss out on getting to know so many interesting people because they judge others harshly, think they want to be left alone, or they just have their heads in the clouds. The truth is, we introverts have hearts so full of longing and love. We might not look like much, but we can be some of the best friends you could ever have. If you see someone alone, try to get to know them. Bring them out of their shell. Trust me, you most likely won't be disappointed.


The author's comments:

I get so tired of all of the drama I experience as an introvert. Everything in this article is based off of things I've experienced or have observed. I've always wanted to tell others what it's like and what it feels like to be treated in these ways.