Friends are Weird Like That | Teen Ink

Friends are Weird Like That

January 21, 2010
By roxawesomeness PLATINUM, Manassas, Virginia
roxawesomeness PLATINUM, Manassas, Virginia
44 articles 0 photos 15 comments

Favorite Quote:
Peace, Love, and R&R


Have you ever made a friend, and not realize they're your friend until you're laughing with in the cafeteria, milk about to come out your nose? Or when, you're whispering in science class about how there's only fifteen more minutes until school's over? I think those kind of friendships are some of the best.
True, I do have some friends who we met and we automatically became friends because she was the only kid I knew in the neighborhood or she came up on my driveway and asked to go on a scooter ride with me. Don't get me wrong, they're two of my best friends. There are two other girls who I didn't realize how close we were, until we were making inside jokes no one else would get.

One girl I met in the sixth grade, on the first day of FACS class. I didn't walk up to her and introduce myself. We actually met by one of those stupid games we play where you have to introduce yourself and say something about you. Funny thing is, I can't remember what I said. I remember my new best friend's though. I remember how she proudly stated she can beat any T-rated videogame there is out there. We still weren't friends quite yet. I never imagined myself being friends with someone like her. I really didn't like videogames. My thumbs weren't coordinated enough to keep my character from killing herself.
After we started talking, I realized she had the same sense of humor as me. The twisted, sarcastic sense of humor. Before I knew it, we were seeing movies and going ice-skating and that kind of stuff.

Another girl I had known since sixth grade too, but only in my math class. And we were both too quiet and shy to say anything. I had said two words in that class that year. She had said none.
Then in eighth grade, I had to sit near her in math class again. This time, she was sitting next to her best friend, so she was talking more. A lot more. I started telling her about my stupid cat and my bobble-head friend (don’t ask, I won’t tell). It wasn’t until I got upset whenever we couldn’t sit next to each other at lunch or that she wouldn’t be on the bus that day that I realized… we were friends too.

For both of them, we didn’t need to say it. It was just there. It was that bubble that protected us from scary teachers and their scolding that proved it. Friendships are weird like that. But that’s what makes them good.