Wisconsin's Jewel of Nature | Teen Ink

Wisconsin's Jewel of Nature

February 7, 2024
By Chotu_24 GOLD, Pewaukee, Wisconsin
Chotu_24 GOLD, Pewaukee, Wisconsin
13 articles 0 photos 1 comment

I hear the crisp leaves rustling in the breeze. I feel the warmth of the evening sun. I smell the fresh scent of clean air. 


It’s autumn in Wisconsin, and I am at Lapham Peak.


My brother looks at me, pointing to the golden fields on our right. A feeling of serenity and peace floods over me as I look at the unparalleled beauty. Butterflies flutter at the tips of the grasses. At the far end of the field, I see two deer, perfectly still. It reminds me of a painting at my home. Everything is in the right place.


My parents beckon for us to carry on. We continue across the familiar path, exiting the sunlit field into the cool, shaded forest. Pine needles crunch beneath my feet and I feel the padding of the soft soil.


We make our way across the forest, heading towards a hill. At the top is my favorite place in the whole park—the observation tower. From there, in all directions, for miles and miles, one can see lakes, rivers, forests, towns, roads, and—even in the far distance—the faint silhouettes of the skyscrapers in Milwaukee.


I can hardly wait, tempted to run there ahead of my family.  I ask my brother if he wants to race me. Today, he says no. I shrug, thinking we’ll be there soon anyways.


I look into the depths of the forest. The tall pine trees tower like giant pillars, cooling us with shade and exuding peace and calm. In the distance, the sun lowers into the horizon, casting its rays of light through the dense foliage. 


We make it to the foot of the hill. In front of us are nearly 200 steps leading to the top of the hill. From there, we will face 100 more steps to reach the top of the tower–but it will be worth it. After a breather, we eagerly begin our ascent. 


At the top of the hill, we see other families, just like us, wanting to go up the tower. All seem equally enchanted by the magical autumn setting. We make it to the steps and start climbing.


Although the height of the tower is only 45 ft, it feels as if we are ascending into the sky. In fact, this place is the highest point in all of Waukesha County at 1,223 feet above sea level. 


With tired legs, we make it to the top. I smile. The view is just how I remember it.


As I lean against the railings, taking in the vast surroundings—the hills, the lakes, the tiny cars riding along the winding roads, and the fall leaves for miles and miles—I can’t help but feel a sense of gratitude. Gratitude for this wonderful access point to the heart of nature. Gratitude for the Lapham Peak State Park, and above all, gratitude for the beauty of Wisconsin.


The author's comments:

This piece was written to show appreciation towards Lapham Peak State Park.