A Day on Vacation | Teen Ink

A Day on Vacation

October 23, 2020
By Hadlistewart1 BRONZE, Tampa, Florida
Hadlistewart1 BRONZE, Tampa, Florida
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Splish splash. You could hear the waves crashing against the white cataaran boat, sailing through the crystal clear water. The air was breezy, but also hot as can be. I could feel the burning sun against my skin, and I could smell the salty ocean water from below. 
“Are you ready?” Mom said as we were stepping on the rocky boat.  
“Yeah! I guess so!” 
I was a little nervous to sail so far in the ocean, but I couldn’t wait! We stepped on the boat and sat down, watching the other families do the same. I was sitting on a white net, to where I could see the colorful fish below me. The captain stood up and greeted everyone. He was wearing a floral and very bright Hawaiin shirt. 
With a happy tone he exclaimed, “Everyone! Don’t forget your sunscreen!”  
My mom handed me an orange can of suncreen. I sprayed so much that I looked like a ghost! But if I didn’t spray so much, than I would have ended the day looking like a tomato. As we were sailing through the bumpy waves, I felt the salty water splashing me. For some reason, the water in Hawaii was much colder than in Florida.  
On the boat were more kids and all I could hear was, “Mom look! It’s a sea turtle!” 
The other workers on the boat walked around to hand out our snorkeling supplies. I was given some bulky fins, goggles, a life jacket, and a snorkel. I couldn’t wait. We were still kind of far out from our final destination. I stood up, but I could not stand! I tried again, and fell. The water was too bumpy! A guy on our boat had a pair of black sunglasses and the second he put them on they flew right off of his face and into the water. I tried not to laugh, but I kind of felt bad! The boat started to slow down and get less rocky. 
“FINALLY!” My sister and I exclaimed. 
We had arrived at the snorkel spot. As the boat stopped and the captain anchored it, there was lots of chatter and laughs. The captain and workers stood up and explained to everyone what to do. They passed out snorkeling supplies to everyone. 
“Okay Hadli put on your gear!” My Dad looked at me smiling with his goggles on.  
He looked kind of funny with all that stuff on, it kind of reminded me of a duck. I slipped on my fins and put the goggles up and over my head.  
I looked at my Dad and laughed “Okay, how do I look?”  
“Amazing!”  
He was probably being sarcastic because I looked a little weird. It was so hard to walk in those flippers, I thought I might fall! I held on to my sister and we walked over to the edge of the boat to jump into the water. 
“3..2..1..GO!!” we jumped in and the cold water hit my body.  
I started to kick and put my head underwater. My whole family was swimming with me and I waved to them. Underwater was like the most beautiful thing I’ve ever seen. Especially the coral reef that we couldn’t touch because it was too sensitive and fragile. Passing by were schools of fish and sea creatures with crazy features I had never seen before. My snorkel slipped off of my face and I choked on the nasty salty water. I quickly swam to the surface and took off my goggles.  
My mom looked at me with a concerned face, “Are you okay there?” 
“Y- Yes!” I said, trying to breathe and trying not to laugh. 
“Maybe we should take a break” Mom said. 
“Yeah..I think that’s the best idea for now.” 
So we got up and went to the boat, and it was just in time for lunch! I was so happy.  
“I’m starving!” I said to Bayli as I started to eat. 
“Me too!” 
We ate some very good rotissere chicken with rice and salad. It tasted so good, mainly because I was starving from the long day. After we finished up eating lunch, we went back out and snorkeled for awhile longer. I explored and found so many new things and there was still a million more things to find. About an hour later, we swam back to the boat and it was time to go back. I felt so burnt that I guess I did end up looking like a tomato. I sat back and enjoyed the breeze, but the cold water was still splashing me. They put up the sails and let wind take over. It was the coolest thing ever! The boat started to slow down once again, and we had arrived to our dock. Dad held my hand to help me off the boat and I jumped on the dock. I kinda felt like I was on a rocky boat still. We walked back to the car, ready to go back to the hotel. 
“Well, this was such a fun day!” I said with a huge grin. 
Another fun, family memory in the books. 


The author's comments:

This piece of writing is about the time that my family and I took a trip to Hawaii for vacation and we went snorkeling!