To Arrowhead School Board | Teen Ink

To Arrowhead School Board

To Arrowhead School Board,
It has come to my attention that you are endorsing a rule in which the students must dress up every day of the week except on Fridays. I must say that I am distraught by this because the clothes that students wear define who they are and should not have to deal with this rule. It has elicited anger from many of my friends and me and we will not tolerate it.
For example, the students that wear black t-shirts and black pants will feel uncomfortable wearing formal clothes because they’ve probably worn them once or twice in their entire life. For athletes such as basketball players, like myself, it is bad enough that we have to dress up in a shirt and tie on game days. To dress up everyday would be egregious. You may think that there is a paucity of people who don’t think the same as you, but this is a public high school, not private like Marquette. Think about any of the possible pernicious students in the school. They, like many students, feel impunity coming on from this rule.
I’m sure that one of your reasons for enforcing this rule is to teach the students about discipline and to prepare them for their future in which they will have to dress up every day. But you see, if they tell you that they feel comfortable, than it may just be duplicity, meaning that they might be thinking to themselves, “I hate you”. Formal clothes are very uncomfortable and the students here know it. For all we know, they could change into casual clothes in between periods just to make themselves feel comfortable.
To tell you the truth, I really don’t think this new rule will be tolerated. Public high schools are supposed to be casual, not formal. If everyone can’t agree on this rule, than it should never be enforced. Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,

Joe