From Something Corporate to Being a Solo Artist: Interview with William Tell | Teen Ink

From Something Corporate to Being a Solo Artist: Interview with William Tell

If you wouldn’t be playing music to this day, what do you think you would be doing?
William: “Tough question. Well, I wanted to be a pilot when I was a kid so, maybe I would be flying planes. Ha, I doubt it though. I honestly have no idea. I can’t imagine doing anything else.”

Do you miss playing in Something Corporate? Speaking of Something Corporate, what was one of your favorite songs to play when you were with them?
William: “Sometimes I miss it. We had some great times, and I don’t get to see the guys as much as I used to because we’re all so busy doing other stuff; but I think we all are happy with what we are doing now where we are at. Favorite track? It changed almost nightly. Just like my favorite songs I listen to change with the circumstances in my life so do my favorite songs to play.”

Is there any chance that you’ll be in a Jack’s Mannequin track in the future helping out Andrew like he did with one of your songs?
William: “Sure, if Andrew asks, of course I would.”

What is the trick to writing a really good song?
William: “Hmm, I have no idea! I’ll always be trying to figure that out.”

What do you do whenever you have a serious case of Writer’s Block and can’t finish a song? Do you throw it away and start over later or do you just keep working at it in hope that someday it will be finished?
William: “Sometimes I throw them away, but that’s only if I can’t finish it because I don’t like it. Most of the time I just keep playing the part that I do have over and over until another part just comes out. Sometimes that takes 5 or 10 minutes, sometimes it takes months.”

How would you describe the first song you ever wrote?
William: “CHEESY.”

Speaking of the first song you ever wrote, what was it called, what was it about, and how would you rate it on a scale of 1-10 (1 being the worst, 10 being the best)?
William: “It was called ‘Your Eyes,’ and it was about some girl’s eyes. I would rate it a 1, well, maybe a 2 ‘cause it was my first so it’ll always hold a special place with me.”

Okay, these questions should be relatively easy for you to answer. Favorite song?
William: “No idea, too many.”

Favorite band?
William: “Beatles, but that’s too easy; there are lots and lots of others.”

Instrument?
William: “To play: guitar. To hear played well: rhodes.”

Color?
William: “Blue, green, and red.”

Drink?
William: “Water with lemon, or an orange soda sometimes.”

Food?
William: “Mexican.”

Location?
William: “Southern California.”