A Hero Above All Others | Teen Ink

A Hero Above All Others MAG

By Anonymous

   My grandmother, Consolacion Alvarado, is my heroine. She possesses the qualities that all heroes should have. She has an emotional strength, a backbone of steel, and an intelligent mind. These characteristics helped her survive World War II when many people died at the hands of the Japanese.

My grandmother married my grandfather in 1943 when she was 17 years old. Her married life was not peaceful for long because the enemies came to town in 1944, and my grandfather was called by the Philippine Army to serve his country. It took a great deal of emotional strength not to cry as she watched her husband walk away. She did not know when he would be back, or if she would ever see him again.

A month later, she was told by a relative that they had to move to another village because the invaders had started to kill people. My grandmother agreed, so she took her two-month-old daughter and walked for hours. She refused to stop or rest until she reached the other town.

Grandmother stayed in the village for almost a year, but it was not safe from the enemies. The foes arrived to search houses for hidden soldiers and ammunition. Whenever they encountered small children, they killed them with their bayonets. My grandmother did not want this fate for her daughter, so she and her then one-year-old hid in the attic for hours praying that the invaders would not be to find them. Fortunately, they did not think of searching the attic; therefore, both mother and child were safe.

My grandmother received news that the enemies had moved away from her former home. She decided that it was time to go back. A few weeks later, my grandfather came home. There was much joy and laughter that day.

Consolacion Alvarado showed her emotional strength when she watched her husband walk away to join the war. She displayed her backbone of steel when she refused to rest from walking in order to reach the safety of the village. She exhibited her intelligence when she and her daughter hid in the attic. It was these qualities that make her my heroine.

Grandmother demonstrated her courage during a time when many people were weak. I admire her fearlessness because a typical person would have broken down at the first gunshots of war. Grandma's rare bravery during the war makes her worthy to be called a heroine. c