Hypochondriac | Teen Ink

Hypochondriac MAG

April 24, 2008
By Tim Martin BRONZE, Auburn, New York
Tim Martin BRONZE, Auburn, New York
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

I have a sickness called hypochondria. Well, truthfully, I don’t consider it an illness. I just consider it a burden. When you have hypochondria, life doesn’t seem real. It feels like you’re watching a copy of yourself, who’s watching a copy of a copy.

Hypochondria, or the scientific term hypochondriasis, is a disorder where someone thinks he has every ailment known to man. Some hypochondriacs think they have the “big time” diseases like AIDS or cancer. But I think I have everything – food allergies, cancer, brain tumors, kidney disease, Lyme disease, kidney stones, cataracts, bipolar disorder, the flu, dyslexia, strep throat, ­appendicitis. Everything.

When I think I have food allergies, I refuse to eat certain things even if I’ve eaten them before. I stay up all night worrying, not sleeping. Right now I haven’t slept in three days. I rarely eat anything but bread, water, and yogurt. I check the labels on everything from candy bars to cereal looking for things I might be allergic to. Believe me, it’s not fun.

As a hypochondriac, simple afflictions of daily life, like stomach pain or tenderness, can make me worry about appendicitis. When my breathing is messed up, I think my throat is closing. If my stomach makes noises, I think I’m going to throw up, even though I’m simply digesting the bread I ate 15 minutes ago.

Hypochondriasis is a type of somatoform disorder, or mental illness. I have had 10 doctors because I never believe they are telling me the truth about my symptoms and what they mean. My mind won’t let me listen to the doctor and understand that I am, in fact, healthy.

Being only 15, I hope that I’ll eventually break out of all this worry and start enjoying life. Many people say that hypochondria stems from depression or a mental ailment. But the truth is, I’m not depressed and I have no mental ailment. I’m a really happy kid, and I ­enjoy the things I do and the friends I have. I just worry too much.

I know it’s not right to blame someone for my disorder, but sometimes I do blame my father. He told me that he used to worry about having every physical illness known to man too. I found out later that hypochondria can be passed through genes. I ­believe I will overcome this disorder, but I will need help.

If you are a hypochondriac too, don’t worry. You aren’t sick, and most likely you’re pretty darn healthy. So get out there and be active and have fun.



Similar Articles

JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 107 comments.


Shae Venturi said...
on Feb. 12 2010 at 8:25 pm
Wow, it does seem awfully smilair to fight club.

Kielen said...
on Feb. 12 2010 at 7:06 pm
Kielen, Montclair, New Jersey
0 articles 0 photos 2 comments

Favorite Quote:
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight; but the size of the fight in the dog."- Mark Twain

The beginning sounds awfully familiar to Fight Club, when he says, "With insomnia, nothing is real. Everything is a copy of a copy of a copy"

on Feb. 12 2010 at 1:17 pm
AlyssaMac SILVER, Medicine Hat, Other
5 articles 0 photos 6 comments
This was a very beuatiful peice! I also have this condition, and I am glad that you have shed light on the real situation!

Thank you for this again!

h_girl123 GOLD said...
on Jan. 21 2010 at 10:20 pm
h_girl123 GOLD, Claremore, Oklahoma
10 articles 1 photo 11 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Playing life by ear"

I suffer from mental disorders also and it really is awesome that you can just come out and educate people about the illness and about your feelings. I am not so brave, but good job :)

on Jan. 21 2010 at 6:58 pm
elarebadaxe SILVER, Portage, Michigan
7 articles 1 photo 32 comments

Favorite Quote:
OCCUPY MORDOR: because one ring shouldn't be allowed to rule them all.

Kudos to you!

on Jan. 21 2010 at 4:19 pm
musiclover94 GOLD, Springboro, Ohio
15 articles 0 photos 69 comments

Favorite Quote:
Life is uncertain. Eat dessert first.

That would be awful. I know you're not looking for pity so instead, kudos to you. The first step to overcoming an illness or fear is to recognize it. I know you've heard that before but still, it's a bigger step than you know. You can discover that life is fun and that you're healthy, I know it. Just look at all the people standing behind you judging by the amount of comments here. We're all pushing for you and we know you can do it. I also think it's incredible that you came out and said this. Again, you're taking giant steps toward getting over your fears.

on Jan. 21 2010 at 9:28 am
BritneyG. BRONZE, Glenwood Springs, Colorado
1 article 0 photos 15 comments

Favorite Quote:
“My life is like a coloring book with a page in the back you can lick and it tastes like Kool-Aid.”
~My Dad :)

This was such a beautiful piece, I agree with Dandelion it does take courage to come out and say that!

Emily:) said...
on Dec. 30 2009 at 7:11 pm
No idea worrier- but I used to be just the same way. I was afraid I would wake up and be dead (stupid huh? Cuz if I was dead, how would I wake up). See a doctor. If you don't want to- just remember- so WHAT if your heart stops in the middle of the night. If you aren't going to see the next morning, be happy about the one that you had the day before. :) But seriously though, I'm pretty sure you'll make it through the night. Hearts are funny- but fast or slow, I'm pretty sure your is just being weird and theres nothing wrong.

on Dec. 30 2009 at 11:18 am
Dandelion PLATINUM, Franklin, Massachusetts
20 articles 8 photos 173 comments
It takes a lot of courage to come out and say that! Many hypochondriacs deny it.

worrier said...
on Dec. 27 2009 at 8:18 pm
I also have this problem when I feel I'm getting better something else pops up to make me worry. I worried because I had headaches and thought I had a brain tumor when I actually just needed glasses. I got scared because I thought my heart was beating to fast or slow, I was even afraid to go to sleep at night becaue I thought my heart would stopped I was constantly putting my hand on my chest to feel if my heart was beating strange,fast slow or skipping beats. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Pear said...
on Dec. 10 2009 at 4:26 pm
I really know how you feel. But i dont think of it as a disorder. When you have this problem life seems so meaning, you can never look forward to anything because the fear of death starts to sink in. I also have this problem, I have had it since i was young. It seems like every passing day something is wrong with me, i can't sleep at night without worrying so much that my heart is pumping at 2000 beats per minute. Sometimes i think i have anorexia (which i don't) somtimes i feel like i have a brain tumor or a lung problem...i really wish life wasn't this hard for me.

Andrnick said...
on Dec. 8 2009 at 10:00 pm
Greetings,

I love that your brave enough to actually write the whole disease out.

I know it was a good story and a lot of writers related to it but there is one tiny thing I didn't enjoy.

It's just you got to make the expierence a little more realistic; I could relate to it (I don't have the disease) but just a little more realistic and it would be good.

Keep writing from your dear writer- Andrnick

lh1992 BRONZE said...
on Dec. 8 2009 at 5:54 pm
lh1992 BRONZE, Spring Valley, Illinois
1 article 8 photos 2 comments

Favorite Quote:
Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

I really enjoyed reading this. :)

on Dec. 8 2009 at 8:50 am
dark_roses14 PLATINUM, Mazon, Illinois
20 articles 0 photos 164 comments

Favorite Quote:
play the music, turn it up loud, dance around, and drown out reality

i have the same disorder.......i know exactly how you feel......i was diagnosised with it when i was 14 and im 16 now.....im getting better.......it takes a lot of strenght and a lot of courage to beat this......doctors say i will get over it, but its gonna take a lot of will power to overcome it.........

on Nov. 16 2009 at 1:05 pm
JusticeJohnson SILVER, Pine Junction, Colorado
7 articles 0 photos 5 comments
this is deep stuff man. I wish you the best of luck! Please continue writing.

ThomaB said...
on Oct. 25 2009 at 4:51 pm
This article really must have been hard to write. I like how you had the courage to come out and speak of this. You have tough me of a new disorder.

on Oct. 25 2009 at 3:28 am
tomtamtimmy GOLD, Sydney, Other
17 articles 0 photos 49 comments

Favorite Quote:
you don't know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have

good on you

on Oct. 2 2009 at 7:50 pm
struck-by-llamas, Eureka, California
0 articles 16 photos 53 comments
This article is wonderful. I love how honest you are! You can do anything, don't let anything stop you! :)

on Oct. 2 2009 at 6:25 pm
I'm in the exact same situation! My dad's allergic and my family figures that I might be too, and so I freak when I see a bee, even if I know it won't sting me.

teenroses said...
on Oct. 2 2009 at 4:15 pm
teenroses, Lubbock, Texas
0 articles 0 photos 12 comments
Great article;

I enjoyed reading it.