Hypochondriac | Teen Ink

Hypochondriac MAG

By Tim Martin BRONZE, Auburn, New York
Tim Martin BRONZE, Auburn, New York

I have a sickness called hypochondria. Well, truthfully, I don’t consider it an illness. I just consider it a burden. When you have hypochondria, life doesn’t seem real. It feels like you’re watching a copy of yourself, who’s watching a copy of a copy.

Hypochondria, or the scientific term hypochondriasis, is a disorder where someone thinks he has every ailment known to man. Some hypochondriacs think they have the “big time” diseases like AIDS or cancer. But I think I have everything – food allergies, cancer, brain tumors, kidney disease, Lyme disease, kidney stones, cataracts, bipolar disorder, the flu, dyslexia, strep throat, ­appendicitis. Everything.

When I think I have food allergies, I refuse to eat certain things even if I’ve eaten them before. I stay up all night worrying, not sleeping. Right now I haven’t slept in three days. I rarely eat anything but bread, water, and yogurt. I check the labels on everything from candy bars to cereal looking for things I might be allergic to. Believe me, it’s not fun.

As a hypochondriac, simple afflictions of daily life, like stomach pain or tenderness, can make me worry about appendicitis. When my breathing is messed up, I think my throat is closing. If my stomach makes noises, I think I’m going to throw up, even though I’m simply digesting the bread I ate 15 minutes ago.

Hypochondriasis is a type of somatoform disorder, or mental illness. I have had 10 doctors because I never believe they are telling me the truth about my symptoms and what they mean. My mind won’t let me listen to the doctor and understand that I am, in fact, healthy.

Being only 15, I hope that I’ll eventually break out of all this worry and start enjoying life. Many people say that hypochondria stems from depression or a mental ailment. But the truth is, I’m not depressed and I have no mental ailment. I’m a really happy kid, and I ­enjoy the things I do and the friends I have. I just worry too much.

I know it’s not right to blame someone for my disorder, but sometimes I do blame my father. He told me that he used to worry about having every physical illness known to man too. I found out later that hypochondria can be passed through genes. I ­believe I will overcome this disorder, but I will need help.

If you are a hypochondriac too, don’t worry. You aren’t sick, and most likely you’re pretty darn healthy. So get out there and be active and have fun.

hahha thats a good point..

it means obsessive complusive disorder

Honour SILVER said...
Honour SILVER, New London, Connecticut

Greater love has no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. ~John 15:13

"Give me liberty or give me death!" ~Patrick Henry

Be brave and steadfast; have no fear or dread of them, for it is the Lord, your God, who marches with you; he will never fail you or forsake you. ~ Deuteronomy 31:6

"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery" ~ Thomas Jefferson

Bluebird, what does OCD stand for? I've been told before but I forgot...sorry if I'm being rude.  I thought the article was well writen by the way.

Andyromeda SILVER, Biñan, Laguna, Other

Sh*t will carry on...

I'm a hypochondriac, and it's just getting worse everyday. It passes sometimes, but at some point it comes back. We'll be fine :)

soldout said...

U guys are kinda assuming what DR Loveee even meant. yeah, it sounds mean, but she never implied she thought the writer was a psycho in need of help.

As for the author of this, listen to bluebird. i don't have such a disorder, but i believe that if u have best friends who u love and have things to look forward to in life, then the problems are specks of dust caught in ur life. just swipe them away and keep going, wherever u want. -soldout-

alexandria1124 BRONZE, Nowhere., Kentucky
I'm not sure how I feel on this article, but don't criticize others on their opinions no matter how hurtful... That's why they're opinions, because you don't feel the same way. Speak your mind DR loveee.

bluebird SILVER, Sandy Hook, Connecticut

That was very rude. Next time you make a rude comment like that, step into their shoes and see their side of the story. Be open-minded, and open-hearted. 

I have OCD, so I know all about worrying. It's not so bad, now. I tell myself, I'm in control. I am okay. I can do this. OCD isn't my life, my life is. We're all here for you! Stay strong!

Bluebird

WindDancer GOLD, Lexington, Kentucky

"It's time to start living the life you've imagined"
- Henry James

"I read to escape, I write to confront."

That was so rude! She knows what is wrong with her and is fighting to voercome her disorder. To say that she should go to an asylum is hurtful and ignorant. Just because someone has a mental, physical, or emotional disorder, does not mean they are crazy. Next time, think before you speak.

bandi_bandi said...
bandi_bandi, Mountain Home, Idaho
Honestly people, grow up and grow a backbone. There is no cyber bullying going on in this comment, simply a person stating what is/what they think. There are no rude words in the comment. The purpose of commenting is to share one's opinion on the article, not just to to praise the author for writing it.

Emy3nerd said...
I totally disagree with bandi_bandi. I think that this was written really well and that since bandi didn't know anything about hypochondria that you shouldn't be saying what you did. But, I loved this piece and it did worry me a little as well. I hope you overcome this. Take care!

DR loveee said...
Check in to your nearest asylum.

maizyiscrazy GOLD, Washington, District Of Columbia

I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe in miracles. ~Audrey Hepburn

i disagree with bandi because it think that she really took a risk in writing this and there is a point where you should look at the content rather than tiny details. i thought it was a fabulous, eye opening piece. way to go!!!

Palrice8 PLATINUM, Lynn, Massachusetts

"Face the downs and be grateful for the ups." - David Archuleta

I'm a hypochondriac too so I know exactly how you feel. It is a burden and it sucks. When I think I have an illness or something, but lots of times passes and it's obvious I don't, I realize that it was just my hypochondria. And eventually I think you start to be able to figure out if there really is something wrong or if it's just in your head. I'm not that much older than you, but I do believe over time you can overcome it, little by little :)

Laura_Oliver GOLD, Manchester, Connecticut
After reading this I got a little scared for a minute. I sincerely truly really hope that you can overcome this. It must have taken a lot of courage for you to write this.

Linghoon BRONZE, Stem, North Carolina

God Grant me the serenety to except the things i cannot change the strength to change the things i can and the wisdome to know the difference.

Hey, good luck, i hace actual food alergies, i think i might have a lil bit of hypocondria sometimes. but i do have confirmed allergies to numerus things that make me sick, i think im outgrowing my allergies to eggs, i also have a strange disease which causes me to have bruises covering my entire arm- they thought i had lukemia luckily i don't but when they said that i found myself hoping that i did? why i would do that, i don't know, maybe i just wanted the attention to help me over come other non-related issues but its just puzzles me, 

RanaHewezi1998 SILVER, Ames, Iowa

"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I've ended up where I needed to be."
-Douglas Adams

wow that's so sad i hope you overcome it :)

Lola_Black GOLD, Harrison, Michigan

"I've always been famous. It's just everybody's just now finding out." --Lady Gaga

I never quite understood hypochondria until i read this. Thanks; it was really an eye opener!

K.M.S.Shear BRONZE, Cherokee, Iowa

"Some people think writing is a waist of their time. For me it’s a way to draw an image of myself through the painting of words."

I hope you over come it. Good luck!

kitkat95 SILVER, Lake Worth, Florida
this was really nice good luck with everythinag

massacre said...
massacre, Lakewood, Washington

"Hate is a word for somebody you love but no longer believe in."

I agree with you, Bandi. I mean, it's a nice sentiment and all, but it's not right to offer advice without overcoming your own problems. Doesn't that just make you a hypocrite, as well as a still-worrying hypocondriact? On another note, I think you did a good job at describing some of the symptomes of Hypochondria. As the daughter of a hypochondriac, I know these well. Just hang in there!