Hypochondriac | Teen Ink

Hypochondriac MAG

By Tim Martin BRONZE, Auburn, New York
Tim Martin BRONZE, Auburn, New York

I have a sickness called hypochondria. Well, truthfully, I don’t consider it an illness. I just consider it a burden. When you have hypochondria, life doesn’t seem real. It feels like you’re watching a copy of yourself, who’s watching a copy of a copy.

Hypochondria, or the scientific term hypochondriasis, is a disorder where someone thinks he has every ailment known to man. Some hypochondriacs think they have the “big time” diseases like AIDS or cancer. But I think I have everything – food allergies, cancer, brain tumors, kidney disease, Lyme disease, kidney stones, cataracts, bipolar disorder, the flu, dyslexia, strep throat, ­appendicitis. Everything.

When I think I have food allergies, I refuse to eat certain things even if I’ve eaten them before. I stay up all night worrying, not sleeping. Right now I haven’t slept in three days. I rarely eat anything but bread, water, and yogurt. I check the labels on everything from candy bars to cereal looking for things I might be allergic to. Believe me, it’s not fun.

As a hypochondriac, simple afflictions of daily life, like stomach pain or tenderness, can make me worry about appendicitis. When my breathing is messed up, I think my throat is closing. If my stomach makes noises, I think I’m going to throw up, even though I’m simply digesting the bread I ate 15 minutes ago.

Hypochondriasis is a type of somatoform disorder, or mental illness. I have had 10 doctors because I never believe they are telling me the truth about my symptoms and what they mean. My mind won’t let me listen to the doctor and understand that I am, in fact, healthy.

Being only 15, I hope that I’ll eventually break out of all this worry and start enjoying life. Many people say that hypochondria stems from depression or a mental ailment. But the truth is, I’m not depressed and I have no mental ailment. I’m a really happy kid, and I ­enjoy the things I do and the friends I have. I just worry too much.

I know it’s not right to blame someone for my disorder, but sometimes I do blame my father. He told me that he used to worry about having every physical illness known to man too. I found out later that hypochondria can be passed through genes. I ­believe I will overcome this disorder, but I will need help.

If you are a hypochondriac too, don’t worry. You aren’t sick, and most likely you’re pretty darn healthy. So get out there and be active and have fun.

charlottegirl BRONZE, Charlotte, North Carolina

"I believe in pink. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot...I believe that the happiest girls are the prettiest girls." -Audrey Hephburn

This is in reply to 'UnbrokenJane'

I don't agree that it was a completely poorly written article. The style might not have been your preference, but the casual writing makes the article more personal and relatable. Grammatical errors could have been fixed, but overall I felt that the article has a strong and effective theme.

AndTheVinesSpin GOLD, Romulus, Michigan

"Love is the Movement" -TWLOHA
"Love is our weapon." -Christofer Drew
"I'ma get me a High School Diploma, even if I gotta steal one!" -ThisKidInMyMathClassLol

She probably does see it, but can't stop herself. The same way us teenagers know when we're doing something wrong, but do it anyway.

iwanttobeforeveryoung GOLD, Forest Hills, New York

"When the power of lover overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
-Jimi Hendrix

If you can see that you are a hypochondriac as you write this and that your numerous ailments are ridiculous, why can't you see that other times?

invasion-of-the-asians BRONZE, Greenville, South Carolina

keep on keeping on

i can relate to this article becuase i am the same way but just not as bad, but i also think i have a lot of other things like mental...depression, anxiety, etc. some i do, some i don't

amaranth178 said...
amaranth178, Washington, District Of Columbia
I agree with 'magic-esi'.

itscomplicated PLATINUM, Boxford, Massachusetts

"The best way out is always through." -Robert Frost "I think, therefore I am." -René Descartes
"Life is never easy for those who dream." -Robert James Waller

the author probably didnt mean to rip anything off. he might not have even known it was a rip off. i do that all the time and i have no idea i'm ripping something off. i think it's a great piece by the way :)

Sab :) said...
This must be tough, but I'm sure that you are very brave. :)         Just being able to write about your condition alone is a big step, and know that you are never alone. Good luck, you will be fine.

Emmy13329 GOLD said...
Emmy13329 GOLD, Middletown, Delaware
Love it !!,The article is very interesting and I think people with the disease would be glad to read it....:):):)

magic-esi PLATINUM, Hyde Park, New York

"The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one."
"Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, if only one remembers to turn on the light."

That's true, but the topic is interesting enough to make up for the minor problems in it. The informality adds to the realistic feeling of the article. If she was writing an informative essay on hypochondria, then I would agree... but as a memoir, I can accept the problems you mentioned.

foreverwelsh BRONZE, Cardiff, Other

"Thin, like butter over too much bread" JRR Tolkien

I think it was really good!

UnbrokenJane said...
A decent topic but poorly written article. Don't know why this ended up on the home page. The writing was too imformal and there were several grammar, organization, and punctuation errors that really took away from the overall tone of the article as well as the informal diction. By using phrases such as "every ailment/illness known to man" not once but twice, I really felt that this article was not well thought out. Try to keep these points in mind the next time you write a nonfiction article.

seven_stones said...
o yeah.... try to be more original.... its a great story but thats really not fair to rip that off

paperflowers said...
paperflowers, Imaginary, Indiana
if it's any help, I kept feeling pain on my left side and thinking it was my appendix, and then I found out your appendix is on your right side so then I started feeling it on my right side, so I researched it and if it was your appendix it would be really hurting, possibly start around your belly button, and you would feel really sick and would probably be throwing up. otherwise it's probably just your digestive system or something... I have gotten frequent "stomach aches" (usually not actually in/around my stomach) ever since I was born and found out that part of that is due to allergies to things like pollen.

yeah. I agree 100% with you though about she being really brave and everything else.

xxhollyxx BRONZE, Perth, Other
Hey-

I know that everyone is different, and i know that i am lucky. All i was trying to say to her is that she is very brave.

:)

xxhollyxx BRONZE, Perth, Other
I know that everyone is different... I just wanted her to know that i think she is brave... If i had this "condition" i would like to hear about it from other people's point of views....

:)

I feel bad. I am a person who I believe anything is possible. SO I hope you understand that you luckie you don't have something she has. and it is okay to be different thats all. I feel bad for her to. I mean like seriously think if that was you. Not trying to like yell at you but I know excatly she is going threw and I understand your thinking.

WanderingChild13, Riverton, New Jersey
i'm glad you posted this because i don't think enough is said about this "condition." i've wondered about this subject for awhile and I'm glad that you shared your story

xxhollyxx BRONZE, Perth, Other
I've never heard of this condition before. Sounds scary.

Some people don't like being felt sorry for, but really- you are truelly brave being able to write this online.... :)

I hope it passes quickly for you, and that you enjoy your teenaage years :)