Tribute to Cam. | Teen Ink

Tribute to Cam.

September 2, 2009
By EMOEMY GOLD, Flower Mound, Texas
EMOEMY GOLD, Flower Mound, Texas
15 articles 2 photos 20 comments

Favorite Quote:
"If the world didn't suck we would all fall off", "My life's goal is to make those closest smile and laugh", "If you don't like it change it"


Cam was struck and killed by a lightning bolt while swimming in lake Lewisville. This incident happened in 2004 at age 15 Cam had light blond hair and he kept his tips spiked down. He had blue eyes and a dazzling smile.

In the US, an average of 66 people are killed each year by lightning. In 2004, there were 32 deaths attributed to lightning. Because lightning usually claims only one or two victims at a time, and because lightning does not cause major destruction, lightning generally receives much less attention than the more destructive weather-related killers. While documented lightning injuries in the United States average about 300 per year, undocumented injuries caused by lightning are likely much higher.
Lightning is and has been the second largest storm killer in the U.S. for the last 40 years, exceeded only by floods. A lightning strike can result in a cardiac arrest at the time of the injury.
The thing to realize is: Lightning could kill you suddenly without your ever knowing it. Lightning is so beautiful to watch, but only from a safe place.
Scientists discovered that the huge power of lightning hits a human being for an extremely short period of time a millionth of a second. The destructive power of a lightning strike depends on the resistance of organs and tissues, which makes up the average of 700 ohms. The higher the resistance, the harder the consequences, men are more than twice as likely as women to die during thunderstorms, mainly because they do not come in from the rain, new research suggests. A study of more than 1,400 thunderstorm-related deaths in the US found 70% of the victims were male.


The author's comments:
Its all true.