The Spirit is in the Service | Teen Ink

The Spirit is in the Service

As a junior in high school, I had to complete service hours for my school and my confirmation program. Many people see service hours as a hassle, and I would be lying if I said I never thought the same, but in the long run I have realized the benefits of giving back to our community. An act of service not only helps others in need in some way or another, but it also feeds the soul and makes others feel good about themselves.
This past January, I participated in a program called Habitat for Humanity. The program helps people who cannot afford to pay for their own housing. Volunteers work alongside with the homeowners to help build their houses. The eight hour days are not for slackers—my experience included shoveling and raking dirt across a lawn, building a fence, and placing down sod. At some points in the day we got tired and hungry, but the homeowners inspirational talks helped us realize what we were doing was truly important: we were helping someone have a permanent, safe place to live. All in all, we discovered how much we take for granted and how much we have to thank God for the blessings He has given us. Habitat is a required event for all juniors at my school, and I now understand why the faculty made this affair mandatory. It brings people together, it makes them work together, and it brings them closer to God. The program is a solid reenactment of the way Jesus truly wants us to live. Habitat for Humanity is a program that strives for social justice and gives participants to work together in solidarity to contribute to the common good. Through Habitat, we get the chance to live as Jesus wants us to—helping others in a timeless manner.