Secret Sauce | Teen Ink

Secret Sauce

By sakemori GOLD, Henderson, Nevada
sakemori GOLD, Henderson, Nevada

"You'll never know why that person is the way they are until you walk in their shoes."

I was in seventh grade when I was cornered in a bathroom in North Las Vegas of Sedway Middle School. I was about fourteen when this happened.

It was lunch and I was walking to my locker when three girls walked up from behind me, grabbed my elbows, and dragged me to the nearest girls' bathroom.

"Hey, Devil's Redhead?" one of them sneered as I landed roughly on the dirty tiles. I quickly got up and edged near the sinks. Two of them blocked the door to get out so I was trapped. I looked to the leader of the gang and gulped. She was the size of an elephant and had the temper of a hippo when you swan in their territory. The other three where just the same only the size of rhinos instead of elephants. And all three where African American, like all of the others at this school. I was only white girl with red hair and freckles.

"Y-yeah?" I stuttered and she snickered.

"Why did you call my friend a b**** yesterday?" she asked and I stared at her in confusion. B****? I didn't call anyone a b****. Apparently, not answering her was the wrong thing to do because she slapped me in the face and I went down, hard.

Black spots danced across my vision as I was hoisted up by the color of my uniform shirt. "Answer me!"

"I didn't!" I cried out and shoved at the elephant sized girl weakly. Damn this weak body, I thought.

She dropped me and I stepped back, my ankle nearly giving out on me. She motioned for one of her friends to come over and only then did I notice the bag she was carrying.

"Give me the secret sauce," she snarled and the girl stuck her hand in the bag and pulled out a giant jar filled with red liquid with chunk of something swimming around in it. "This white girl needs to learn a valuable lesson in messing with Shaniquah's friends."

The jar was passed on to her and I didn't even think about trying for the door. I ran into the nearest stall and went to lock it but the one that handed her the jar kicked open the door and I went flying into the wall. I landed on the cool tile floor dazed as I was once again hoisted up but this time by my arms. I was, then, set down on the toilet and had the strange stuff dumped on me. A horrid scream came from my lips as the cold, red liquid drenched my skin and stained my school uniform, which I never liked anyway. All three of them ran out of the bathroom and I slid down to the floor, crying and shivering. I walked home knowing that it would take me a while to reach it considering I lived three miles away. My mom didn't ask what happened and I took a shower and threw away the clothes.

I was glad when I moved away three weeks before school went out.

This actually happened to me. I have a lot more where that came from too.