Hilary's Body Part 3 | Teen Ink

Hilary's Body Part 3

By reginalove SILVER, Lorain, Ohio
reginalove SILVER, Lorain, Ohio

"Obstacles are what you see when you take your eyes off the goal."

They had found her body not in the swim club, but in a ditch on the side of the road. There wasn’t any evidence how she got there yet. She was most of the day and her mother wasn’t suspicious until she didn’t come home last night.
It was late in the afternoon now. I didn’t do anything all day. I couldn’t do anything. I wasn’t in shock seeing as what happened last night. But I was in pain. Hilary was my best friend besides Dylan. Now she was gone. One thing I knew for sure was that I saw her body last night in that pool. How did it get in that ditch? There was one possibility that I refused to even consider. It hurt that I even thought of it.
What if Dylan really did see the body? If he did why would he lie? That only could mean one thing-that Dylan killed her. Which was impossible because Hilary and Dylan were friends? We all were. But if he did kill her, why?
There were so many questions going through my mind. I wanted to talk to someone so bad. I wanted Dylan. But I wasn’t even sure if I trusted him anymore.
Despite my doubts, I called Dylan.
“Hello?” he answered. He sounded distressed.
“Hey Dylan,” I said.
“Oh, hey Bre. You hear?”
“Yeah. I want to see you Dylan.”
There was a pause. “Sure.”
We agreed to meet at the park in twenty minutes. I told my mom where I was going and headed out.
When I got there, Dylan wasn’t there yet. There was a girl on a swing. Her back was towards me. She had long brown hair. It was blowing in the wind. I stared at it, lost in the ripple of her brown hair. I found myself walking closer to her, until I was right behind her. I reached out to touch her. She turned around to face me slowly.
I screamed. I screamed bloody murder. Hilary was dead. She couldn’t be sitting on this swing in front of me. I closed my eyes. As if it would pass. As if she would go away.
Surprisingly she did, go away, I mean. I opened my eyes and she wasn’t there. As if I had imagined the whole thing. Like I imagined the body last night.
I shivered, but not from the cold.
A hand grabbed my shoulder and I screamed again, whirling around. Dylan.
“What’s the matter? I heard you screaming.” He said.
I looked back at the swing. Nothing. “I just got nervous, that’s all.”
He gave me a weird look. “What do you want to talk about?”
“Last night. What happened after I passed out?”
“Nothing. I just pulled you out and l laid you down on the ground. You were out only a few seconds.”
I studied his face. Was he lying? Why would he lie? I realized that I couldn’t remember what I did before I snuck out with Dylan. I remember Dylan knocking on my window, but what about before then? I was confused. “Dylan? Did you talk to me yesterday before we snuck out? Did you talk to Hilary?”
“I talked to Hilary after you guys had that fight. And then you in the morning.” he gave me another weird look.
“Fight? What fight?” I was confused.
“You guys had a fight, remember? I don’t know what it was about but that’s why I came to get you last night. To make you feel better,” Dylan answered. “Don’t you remember?”
“Oh! Yeah of course I remember!” I lied.
Awkward silence followed that as we just stood and looked at each other. I broke the silence.
“I just-I just wanted to see you, Dylan.” I told him.
He reached out for me and held me for a long time. When we broke apart, he kissed me on the cheek. Normally I would have been delighted, but under the circumstances, I felt……….well, confused. I couldn’t remember anything.
Dylan walked me home. We didn’t talk much. i was too deep in thought. For some reason, I wasn’t surprised to see the police car parked in my driveway.