How Could This Be Happening | Teen Ink

How Could This Be Happening

By Annadoerr22 BRONZE, Louisville, Kentucky
Annadoerr22 BRONZE, Louisville, Kentucky

Set Instructions: Sixteen-year-old Summer has just been kidnapped by a man named Collin while on her way to work. He refuses to call her Summer. He believes her name is Lily. Collin brought Summer to a cellar that has been turned into a nice, extremely clean-living space. There is a couch with a tv and a counter with flowers on it, almost like a home. Summer has just figured out that there are three other girls down there, none of them as young as her. She has been left alone on the couch with some time to think about what has just happened. Summer is still trying to accept was has happened to her. The girls want her to accept that she will never get out, but she refuses to believe this. She believes that she will find a way out even if it means having to kill Collin.

Monologue: I can’t be stuck down here. [sobs] Why me? Why did I have to be the one? [raises voice] Out of all the people in this town, it had to be me. [mumbles] I am only sixteen. [voice gets louder] I haven’t done all the stuff I wanted to do yet. I know Lewis and my mom are looking for me. [quiets down] Unless, they haven’t even noticed that I never made it to work. I should have listened to Lewis. [stands up and begins to walk in circles] He told me not to go out in the dark all by myself. He was right. [wipes tear from eye] I should have known that walking around alone at night was not a good choice. I bet my mother and Lewis are worried sick about me. I can’t imagine a day where I don’t tell Lewis I love him or my mom good night. [yells] No Summer! It is okay. I will get out of here. I will be out of here before tomorrow night. I bet this is all just a prank. [laughs] I bet Lewis planned this whole thing just to show me how dangerous walking around at night actually is. [words slow down] But, what if it isn’t a prank? How could this place look so welcoming when there is a chance I could die? Collin looks like a normal person. [sits down] The worst part is he is probably walking around this town right now like a normal person. [pauses] How can he look into the eyes of anyone knowing that he has four innocent girls locked up in a cellar? [curls up in a ball] [curtains close]

This is a monologue based off of the novel "The Cellar" by Natasha Preston.