Drop Scene | Teen Ink

Drop Scene

By Dynamo DIAMOND, Lahore, Other
Dynamo DIAMOND, Lahore, Other

I used to think falling in love would be personal. But it's all a big public show.

DRAMATIS PERSONAE:
Jean d’Eloit-The Eldest Sister
Mary Scott-Her Junior Sister
Finniemore Blake-Their Younger Brother
SCENE:
[A melodious, soothing symphony is playing in the background. Jean is sitting upon her bed playing a game on her laptop. At the same time she is talking to Mary, who is paring her nails. On the couch lies Finniemore, desperately trying to couch a hogshead.]
Jean: And so, as Dad was saying, the case will probably be judged in your favor.
Mary: Yeah, right……
[Suddenly the music stops and the bawling of a cumbersome child is heard from the slums behind their chateau. The pitch is eerie, unnatural and unmanning, in the late period of night, and Jean, starting in fright, clutches Mary’s hands.]
Jean: What is that?
Mary: Just a child screaming, nothing else.
Jean: Oh……
[Resumes her former posture and again starts focusing on the game. In the background the symphonic syntax of the tune again plays its charm, drowning the shrieks of the destined ragamuffin, and plunging them in a paroxysm of sweetness; a world of dreams where none rules but life……]
Exeunt.

I intended to write the shortest play ever. The theme is based on a real incident which inspired me to write this.

TaylorWintry DIAMOND, Carrollton, Texas

"Never fear shadows. They simply mean there's a light shining somewhere nearby." - Unknown

This is a little eerie, but I dare to say it is unfortunately relevant to today's society. Beautifully written, and ironic how you used such ethnic names for a scene that seems so... common.

Lobsterhead BRONZE, Salem, Indiana

"Walruses are not a toy"

Wow....short but amazing...you've got talent!

Aash said...
A nice piece of work :)

duwa said...
A very nice piece of work :)