Amnesia | Teen Ink

Amnesia

November 23, 2014
By Carly_Elizabeth PLATINUM, Othello, Washington
Carly_Elizabeth PLATINUM, Othello, Washington
39 articles 0 photos 131 comments

Favorite Quote:
"And above all, watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely places. Those who don't believe in magic will never find it."
Roald Dahl


I kissed Drew on the lips softly and sweetly. Oh I didn’t want him to go.

            “I love you,” Drew whispered against my lips.

            “Please be safe,” I pleaded.

            “I will, sweetheart,” I assured me as he cupped my face. “I promise.”

            I bit my lip to keep from crying as Drew bent to pick up his suitcase. When he stood, I wrapped my arms around his abdomen and he buried his face in my hair.

            “Do you have to go,” I whined.

            “I won’t be gone for long, love.”

            “I love you,” I said into his chest.

            “I know.” Drew pulled away and kissed my forehead. He turned around and twisted the door knob to our apartment.

            “I’ll see you in four days,” He called as he closed the door leaving me alone in an all to quiet room.

          

 

            “Audra Sitters?” asked the voice on the other side of the phone.

            “Yes,” I answered as I pulled day old mac and cheese out of the microwave.

            “I’m here to inform you that Drew Jacobs has been in a serious accident.” My mac and cheese covered fork stopped halfway between my mouth and the bowl. “He is now getting cared for in the Emergency Care Unit in Seattle.”

            I nearly dropped my phone into the bowl. “Oh my god,” I breathed. Before I knew it, I was sprinting out of the kitchen throwing on shoes and a coat, not bothering with the fact that I was in sweats and a tank top. I flew out of my apartment door and down the stairs into my car.

 

            “Drew Jacobs, please,” I gasped loudly, startling the lady sitting behind the desk. She eyed me curiously and then directed her attention to the screen.

            I twisted the ring on my left hand nervously as I listened to the clicks of the lady’s mouse and watched her eyes flit across her computer screen.

            “Ms. Sitters?” She asked me.

            “Y-yes that’s me,” I stuttered. My heart was pounding at 500 beats per second while my stomach was churning dangerously.

            “I’m sorry Ms. Sitters, but-“ My heart dropped and I could feel my lunch rising. Please don’t tell me he’s dead. –“Drew is in surgery right now.” I let out a small sigh of relief, but that relief was quickly spent. He was in surgery; the crash must’ve been really bad.

            “Please wait in the waiting room.”

 

            “Ms. Sitters?”

            I stood up quickly. A salt and peppered man in a white coat walked up to me with a somber look on his face.

            “Mr. Jacobs will see you now.”

 

            “Oh my,” I gasped as tears threatened at the brim of my eyes.

            One of Drew’s arm and one leg were in a cast while the other side was covered in white bandages. There was also a bandage wrapped around his head. I rushed to his side and gripped his cold hand in both of mine.

            “Drew,” I whispered. “Drew?” I said again louder.

            Drew groaned and his head rolled in my direction. His eyes struggled to open, but once they did, water rushed down my face as I gazed into those dark blue eyes that I fell in love with.

            “Hey,” I said quietly as I smile stretched across my face. I put my hand up against his face, feeling the rough scruff of his beard.

            Everything’s going to be okay, I thought.

            Drew Looked at me, glanced at my hand, then shifted his gaze back to me. Confusion flashed across his face and he recoiled his face away from my touch.

            “Who are you?” Was all he said.

 

            “Look, I don’t even know who you are,” Drew said as he held up a hand and turned away from me.

            “Yes,” I yelled, tears flying from my eyes. “Yes you do Drew! I’m Audra Sitters, the love of your life. We’ve been together for four years! Please just listen to me. Try to remember, please!”

            Drew sighed heavily and turned back to look at me. “What is it you want from me? Money? What is it?” I looked at him, appalled.

            “No,” I sputtered. “I just want you to remember me and the loved we shared.”

            “I think I’d remember falling for some freak. Just leave me alone.” He turned away once again and started walking.

            “Drew,” I sobbed as I jumped in front of him. “Please don’t leave me. I love you. I need you.”

            Drew glared at me with those dark blue eyes, but instead of them being warm and full of love, they were cold and full of malice.

            “The hospital gave me my stuff back from the crash,” he said as he began to fish for something in his pocket. He pulled out a familiar bronze ring and held it out for me. “Take it back.”

            I closed my eyes and shook my head. I couldn’t believe this was happening.

            “Drew grabbed my wrist and wrenched my arm up. He shoved the ring into my shaking hand. When he let go, my arm fell limply back to my side as my body shook with sobs.

            “Goodbye Audra Sitters,” Drew said coldly. “Have a good life.”

            I fell to my knees, clutching the ring to my heart as I listened to the footsteps of my best friend, my love, my one and only, fade in the distance.