Limited Infinities | Teen Ink

Limited Infinities

By Arpeggio96 BRONZE, Austin, Texas
Arpeggio96 BRONZE, Austin, Texas

"she is too fond of books and it has addled her brain'" -louisa may alcott

They met like lava hitting the sea, like the unmovable earth shaking. Two opposites colliding in the infinite space of a sidewalk. Greetings were smiled, names were exchanged. Her sunset eyes met his rising ones in the spotlight of midday. Each could feel the future in the other’s gaze, and soon they were tumbling around in their own lovely hurricane.

They grew closer, as the storm gained size and power, whispering every truth as storytellers together. He learned of her sickness that she tried to cure with infected needles and non-prescription drugs. She learned of the graves that carried his last name and the last echoes of a forgotten dream. The one thing they shared was a stormy heart, and when they touched, the lightning could almost kill them both. But, it could also save them.

Years passed, and from the hurricane came a windswept, wild-haired baby boy. He was raised by opposite sides of the same coin which had learned to stand on its edge. The waves of his childhood were alternating shouts and laughter, which were never punctuated with the silent sound of a slap. The boy soon became a force of his own, and left his hurricane heritage behind.

Turning inward on itself once again, the storm’s strength began to ebb. The rain slowed its beating, the wind stopped screaming. As it faded, he and she looked around to see what was left. Their aged eyes met for the last time, finally seeing the beautiful crevices etched on each other’s faces, and felt the darkness walking near.

And one day, their infinities stopped.

Just an everyday, ordinary infinity