Something to Make You Feel Alright | Teen Ink

Something to Make You Feel Alright

(A prelude or whatever you call it) I am currently inspired by J.D. Salinger's "Love Story" or "Mystical Story" dilemma, and this story is obviously not one filled with fairies and stardust or vampires and such so I'm putting it under the "Romance" category. Sorry if I disappoint anyone, and I'm sure I will as this story isn't even really a story, it's more like this one time, for some reason, I paid attention to someone and they turned out to be kind of beautiful. Anyways, here it is.
I sat there in Mrs. Smith’s algebra class, the one class whose temperature never felt obliged to reach over 60 degrees…Fahrenheit, because I think 60 degrees Celsius is like 800 degrees or something silly. Anyways, I sat there kind of despondent as always, not even thinking about anything, when this boy caught my eye. Well he didn’t really catch my eye, I had been unintentionally staring at him for the past 3 minutes when I finally realized what I was doing but instead of doing the normal thing, I decided to hone in on what I was staring at instead of quickly looking away. I’m awkward like that. He had light brown hair and dark brown eyes, like a meaningfully contrasted living room or something. His teeth were kind of crooked, but not enough to turn someone away. I only noticed because he kind of laughed every time Mrs. Smith said math was fun. He was left handed so it was easier for me, sitting to his right, to see what he was writing. He actually wasn’t writing at all, he was drawing something. A field of tall grass and a girl, that I assume he loved but had no real connection to. Her long hair was flowing; I could see pieces of it kind of connected with thinner areas of hair as it was being tossed by the wind. You couldn’t see her face though; she was facing the other direction, just looking up at the sky like she was waiting for some kind of healing rain or something. But I knew she was beautiful, the whole thing was beautiful. The drawing was done on a piece of graph paper that I assume he was supposed to be doing a math equation on or something. I could see every color in the drawing, the brown and green grass, the grey sky with a hint of pink sun leaking through, and her white flowing dress. It was done in pencil but I just sort of just knew those were the colors he was implying. Mrs. Smith then noticed he wasn’t paying attention and told him to put the drawing away, I took the opportunity to be normal and look away. Mrs. Smith continued her algebraic duties upon the white board and then he turned and looked at me, he said, “Did it look okay? The drawing?”, I stuttered an embarrassing reply, “Yeah, yeah, great, awesome, it was great.” God I felt stupid, first he knew I was staring at him for God knows how long, second I replied like I was talking to my mom on the phone. I kept thinking all these terrible things and then he interrupted my thoughts by saying, “That’s you, not the girl, but the whole thing, I don’t know you, but that’s how you make me feel, beautiful”. I can’t remember what I said next, but I remember thinking that I felt like I was in love with this boy that I didn’t’ even know, and it’s ok if I never even saw him again because...well I don’t know, it just felt OK either way. He was beautiful and he thought I was beautiful too, I guess I just fell in love with the thought momentarily. And that’s ok.

I don't really know why I wrote this peice, I guess I was just feeling wierd one day and sort of longing for an experience that would make me feel like I was "OK" for just a minute or two. It never happened so I just made a story up instead.

Votingboning said...
You misspelled "weird" in your author's comments. Other than that, I was mildly impressed.

joemcknight said...
this was so bomb

It made me smile. And makes me want to write. You're joyous and wonderful.

thanks, i really appreciate that. I guess it's kind of what i was going for.

this is a really nice story. it gives the hopeless romantic just enough life to breathe another day.