Once Yours | Teen Ink

Once Yours

By futurenovelista SILVER, Staatsburg, New York
futurenovelista SILVER, Staatsburg, New York

"But I being poor have only my dreams...I place my dreams at your feet. Tread softly for you tread on my dreams." -Yeats

Dear Lucas,
There are a million words I can use to describe how I feel about you but the one that seems to be more relevant, especially at this moment, is numb. How else is a young girl to feel when she finds out that her first love is involved with someone else? I guess you could say heartbroken, but if you’re too numb to feel the pain, does it really even matter? It’s pathetic really. You were never really mine in the first place, so to feel so distraught, so angry, and so lonely over your relationship is something foolish. But aren’t I already foolish for falling in love with you, someone who is so perpetually out of my league? I should’ve known better, should’ve known that thinking about you in more than a friendly manner would lead to my heart’s devastation. Whose fault is it; mine or yours? Is it my fault because I failed to announce my feelings when I first realized them? Is it my fault that I didn’t because I was scared of being rejected by you? Is it my fault that I watched you secretly and admired your grace and your confidence? Is it my fault that I dreamed about kissing you or being held by you a million times? Is it my fault that I convinced myself that I actually might’ve had a chance with you and that I was actually good enough to be with you? Is it my fault that I tried my best to be noticed by you, showing off what little talents I had and putting myself out there? Is it my fault that I changed my image, changed my personality so that you’d talk to me more? Is it my fault that I prayed every night for you to show up at my door and proclaim your love towards me? Or is it your fault for not seeing all the signs? Your fault for when you did, ignoring them? Your fault for leading me on all those times, pulling me in only to put me down? Your fault for making me believe I was special, and that I was worth something? Your fault for being so ambiguous about your feelings? Your fault for telling others there was a chance we’d be together even when you knew there’d be no us and we’d never have a shot? Is it your fault for making me fall in love with you? Is it anyone’s fault at all?
I wonder if she makes you happy. That new girl you’re with. I heard she’s pretty and petite. I heard she’s smart, talented, nice, popular, and just an all around perfect girl. Is that what you’ve always wanted; perfection to go with your own perfection? I bet they call you the infallible couple. I’m sorry I couldn’t be perfect for you. I’m just me with my many scars and flaws. And I had always thought you could deal with that, but it’s quite clear that you couldn’t. And I guess I have to accept that. And in return I hope that you can accept the fact that I am not over you yet. My heart may be broken but my brain works just fine, and in my mind you are ubiquitous. In my mind I think about all the things I love about you like the way you snort a little bit and your voice hikes up a few octaves whenever you laugh. Or the way your eyes squint, and your nose tends to look crooked every time you smile. And even the warmth of your hand that one time I held it when we went to a concert with your friends. Does she love those things about you too? Or does she prefer the way your eyes seem to change from black to brown whenever you’re in deep thought? Or the tiny scar under your eye you got while fighting some guy who insulted your family? Or the stubble on your chin that makes you look older than you truly are? Does she even notice?
Are you satisfied with how all this turned out? I’m left alone in grief while you get to go on happily ever after? It’s not fair. Sometimes I wish I could live vicariously through her. That I could get to know what it feels like to be with you. No matter how facetious and cliché it might sound, it’s true. I wish I could be her, except while being her I could be me and you’d love me for me; if that even makes sense to you at all. I wish I was more resilient. I wish I could bounce back from the near fatal blow you threw at my heart. In retrospect, I guess I should’ve seen it coming. I instigated this whole situation by continuing to hope. I could’ve made you happier. I know I could’ve. You should’ve given me the chance to show you that. And that new girl probably is a decent person, but guess what? I’m better. I hope that she was worth it. I hope she was worth putting me through all of this and leaving me feeling numb. And a part of me even hopes, that in the end, she does to your heart what you’ve done to mine. But mostly Lucas, I hope that you’ll look back on everything you’ve lost…and miss me.

Once yours,

Annabelle

Lacer GOLD said...
Lacer GOLD, Highland Village, Texas

The thing about philosophy is that it often runs dry when thought of so shallowly.

Your first person usage is obviously a strength, as you handle it beautifully. But you need syntax, by gob do you need syntax.

The paragraphs are so big and looming with redundant information that it makes me want to skim over it all. You need paragraph breaks, pauses, and sentence structure.

Other than that, you have a clear purpose, good style, and excellent story.

FluteFreak SILVER, Auburn, Indiana

"Insanity just adds a little spice to life!" -Me

This is a lovely piece, but I feel like in the middle it started to drag a little... Otherwise, the emotion was really good.

CountryPopGirl PLATINUM, Lawrenceville, New Jersey

"You love someone, you open yourself up to suffering, that's the sad truth. Maybe they'll break your heart, maybe you'll break their heart and never be able to look at yourself in the same way. Those are the risks. The thought of losing so much control over personal happiness is unbearable. That's the burden. Like wings, they have weight, we feel that weight on our backs, but they are a burden that lifts us. Burdens which allow us to fly..."
-Dr. Jack Hodgins (Bones)

Wow. Just wow.

This is really good writing. 

And to me, it seems personal, like you actually experienced this. Cause I find it hard to believe that you could right this with such a strong opinion, voice, message, or whatever without experiencing it. 

Anyway, good job. :)

IAmWhoIWantToBe PLATINUM, Manila, Other

‎"I’m learning how to drown out the constant noise that is such an inseparable part of my life. I don’t have to prove anything to anyone. I only have to follow my heart and concentrate on what I want to say to the world: I run my world." - Beyoncé

You capture the emotions well and play the words well. But I think you're making it sound as if  they've been together when it doesn't seem like she hasn't even been more than friends with him. It's kinda confusing so you might work with it. I'm not sure though. Anyway, I think this is great... :)

Zaraclaylime DIAMOND, Chicago, Illinois

So I suppose my simple advice is: Love your life. I only say that because your life is what you have to give.
-Tom Hiddleston

fantastic! five stars! and very relatable, too. great job! check out some of my romance work

TaurusGal GOLD said...
TaurusGal GOLD, Hong Kong, Other
Wow... I really enjoyed reading it.  Nice work. Sometimes I feel like that too. So true!

I read your story and commented. I DEFINATELY related with it... Heartbreak sucks

Prisoner24601 SILVER, New Malden, Other

"But Brutus says he was ambitious,
And Brutus is an honourable man." ~William Shakespeare, Julius Caesar

This is really good :) You made it incredibly personal, yet at the same time I could relate to it entirely. By the end of reading this, you can entirely empathise with Annabelle. Congratulations on a brilliant piece of writing :)

ShenanigansAndMalarkey PLATINUM, Arvada, Colorado

Never stop dreaming, it's what changes the world- Cameron Jon Weisz

Story of my life these past few weeks. I love it!

JesusFreak3 SILVER, Highlands Ranch, Colorado

"When everything around me falls to pieces, I've got something more in my life. When I'm broken only God completes me."
Krystal Meyers
"God is love"
--Bible
"An eye for an eye makes everyone blind."
--Gandhi

Exactly! You put many of my thoughts into words. You really express the emotion. Nice :-)

SummerSkies BRONZE, Antioch, Tennessee

"If love is the answer, could you please rephrase the question?"- Lily Tomlen

I feel like I'm tearing up a bit.  Beautifully written. :'}

Wolfshadow SILVER, Park City, Utah

"Some say time is an illusion, others, time is of the essence but time is something we stand by, are comforted by, killed by, and helped by, therefore time is all in our heads, but who says something in our heads,  can't be real?" ~Wolfshadow

This is so daring and touching at the same time! It's beautiful and touches anyone who has been in a situation like that. Thank you!

Tatiel PLATINUM, Washington, Vermont

Against the assault of laughter nothing can stand.
~Mark Twain

This is so beautiful. I love the emotion and incredibly vivid imagery. I can definitely hear your voice behind it. =) 

AlaskaGirl GOLD, Klawock, Alaska

"Screw the shining armor. I will take my man in dirty camo any day"

:( Aww *hugs*

wordjunkie BRONZE, Houston, Texas

Those who say it can't be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.

Can you read 3 O'clock Angst? It's my heartbreak story, and idk...It seems like you'd get it x)

wordjunkie BRONZE, Houston, Texas

This is gorgeous, but get's a little repetitive. The material is tired, but you take an interesting spin in the way you write it. I loved it x) I've so been there.

Eshshah PLATINUM, Galloway, New Jersey

"The woods are lovely, dark and deep. But I have promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep." -Robert Frost

this is so, so sad... and beatifully written! wow, like literally I'm nearly crying... good job- this... wow.

Eshshah PLATINUM, Galloway, New Jersey

indimcmathz BRONZE, Vancouver, Other

"Alternative to what?" -Bliss, from the movie "Whip It"

wow, this is awesome work future.

TimmyTiger GOLD, Somewhere, Indiana

"It's time to nut up, or shut up." - Woodey Harrelson "Zombieland"

This is going on my favorites right now! I can relate to it totally! I L O V E D it!!!