Imperfectly Perfect | Teen Ink

Imperfectly Perfect

By GreenEyedGirl15 BRONZE, Derby, Kansas
GreenEyedGirl15 BRONZE, Derby, Kansas

I walk next to you in the halls. Your hair is perfect, just like your teeth. The jeans you wear hug you perfectly, like they were designed for your legs. The shirt resting on your shoulders matches your eyes flawlessly – deep blue. It’s the kind of blue that reminds me of summer, the sky, bluebirds, and the ocean. The way you carry your backpack seems like it’s the right way to do it, like the rest of us are just lugging them around like burdens. You walk with the kind of confidence that most people only wish they had—including me. You are exactly what I what I would love to be. Perfect.

My hair keeps falling the wrong way, getting in my eyes even when I push it behind my little ears. My old blue jeans have so many unwanted holes, worn into the fabric from too much use. The shirt that I’m wearing is old, too. It was from a band back when my mom was our age. Paint is splattered over parts of my simple, gray jacket. I had been painting sets for the school’s drama department when it happened. My eyeliner keeps smearing, forcing me wipe under my eyes in a sad attempt to repair it.

I’m such a mess, and I know it. People say I look artistic, but never believe them. You whisper that I look amazing as we walk. I blush and shake my head, denying it, knowing that you are lying too. You take my and smile down at me. I lift the corners of my mouth in a sorry little smile too. Suddenly you stop me, and pull me to you, even though teachers and other students could be watching. Grinning you speak into my ear.“Don’t ever think less of yourself than I think of you. You are perfect.” And for once, I believe it.

I dont know why I wrote. I just know that I did, and it felt right.

falling-rain GOLD, Layton, Utah

Getr done!
larry the cable guy

i loved this..seriously.. keep writing and im looking forward to what yu have next :)

GreenEyedGirl15 BRONZE, Derby, Kansas
Im glad you liked it. The message you got out of it was one that I wanted to pass along. I'm in highschool and I know how hard it is to feel "perfect", or at least like you fit in. I just want my readers to get a good lesson from this, whether it be that, or something about self- confidence, kindness, or anything else that will make a good impact.

Robsessed PLATINUM, McKinney, Texas

"I may be changed by what happens to me, but I refuse to be reduced by it." - Maya Angelou

"Did you know 'I told you so' has a brother, Jacob?" she asked cutting me off. "His name is 'Shut the hell up.'" - Bella Swan, Breaking Dawn

I liked it too! Good job. I do wish it had been longer though. I think too many kids and teens (and everyone else for that matter) place so much emphasis on being perfect or trying to be like someone else that they lose themselves in the process. And your story shows how hard it is to accept that maybe you are "perfect" and didn't even know it. At least that's what I got out of it.

GreenEyedGirl15 BRONZE, Derby, Kansas
Thank you so much! You have no idea how great it was to read this. I'm glad that you liked it. Try writing again. You never know, you just might surprise yourself! This comment made my day just that much better :)

Enigo said...
Honestly that is one of the best things that I have read in such a long time, I wish I hadnt stopped writing, you have a talent for it, when I read this I felt like I was there watching it. I really did this is AMAZING!!! Good job, keep writing never lose the will to write.