Daydreamer | Teen Ink

Daydreamer

By chelsead BRONZE, Marlette, Michigan
chelsead BRONZE, Marlette, Michigan

"Do not fear death, but rather the unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live."
-Tuck Everlasting

The days blur together. Hour after hour she sits on her porch swing, watching each day fade into the next. All she can make out are the colors--the bright green of the trees, the vivid blue of the sky, the gray of the overcast clouds, the shades of pink, purple, and yellow in the flowers around her. It was so easy to lose track of time in this haze that she was so sure would last forever; or at least that's what she told herself. It will never end. Never.

Another summer night. The fire danced, lightly leaping around and around, higher and higher. Embers glowing brightly around the bottom seemed to encourage the flames to jump to even greater heights as the dark smoke flew into the clear night sky. Her eyes stared unblinking into the dancing fire, hypnotized--daydreaming, lost. Of course, that was the way it always was anymore.

He grabbed her hand, holding it tightly. The fire and everyone around it disappeared in that instant. He pulled her pale face toward his, his bright blue eyes gazing intently into her own blue-green eyes. Smiling, he whispered into her ear, "Your eyes are just like you, Beth. They couldn't make up their mind so they decided on the best of both worlds." In spite of herself she smiled back at him, but he read her face as easily as if it was one of the many books she had hidden behind. His strong arms embraced her, and she held on as tightly as she could.

For years, she had dreamed of this. Now all she could do was look back on the years and wish for more. Her thoughts drifted back to the first time she fell off of her bike, and the tears that streamed down her face with that first sharp pain only to be wiped away by her father's caring hands. She felt the warm sunlight around her as she walked on the red dirt roads, laughing and talking with her sisters. She heard her heart pounding in her ears the first time she had ever snuck out of the house to meet her best friend. The memories came from everywhere, surrounding her, crushing her. And now there was him.

He led her away from the bonfire. Standing by his white truck, he gently kissed her forehead. "This is not goodbye," he asserted, drawing her closer. He let go slowly, and then, without a word, he leapt into the driver's seat, leaning out of the window as he said, "I'll see you later, my little daydreamer." Then he drove away, into an uncertain world. The tears slid slowly down her face, but she simply let them fall, refusing to wipe them away.

Her van was packed, ready for her in the morning. Another path lay before her, a future that only she could make for herself. She had always dreamed of this. So why could she only dream now of the beautiful world that danced in his eyes?

Her dreams were obscured somehow, and they too were drifting away . . .

_ella_herondale BRONZE, San Diego, California

"...If the Thames that ran beside them...recalled a night where the moon shone as brightly as a shilling on the same boy and girl... and thought to themselves, 'at last, the wheel comes full circle,' they kept their silence."

You are a very good descriptive writer!

KelseyBear BRONZE, Cuba, New York

"Although it is generally known, I think it's time to announce that I was born at a very young age"

I liked the imagery, good story.

Dolly9471 BRONZE, Berkeley Heights, New Jersey

In the end will will not remember the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.
Martin Luther King Jr.

Love the use of words.  A perfect 100%!

mammothfrk PLATINUM, Mammoth Lakes, California

This is your life, are you who you want to be?

a lot of un certainty! but a good write

Musawwir21 SILVER, Toledo, Ohio

Some say the world will end in fire,
Some say in ice.
From what I've tasted of desire
I hold with those who favor fire.
But if it had to perish twice,
I think I know enough of hate
To say that for destruction ice
Is also great
And would suffice.

dont he a hepercrite . Just dont say nothing if its not nice .

Musawwir21 SILVER, Toledo, Ohio

Some say the world will end in fire,
Some say in ice.
From what I've tasted of desire
I hold with those who favor fire.
But if it had to perish twice,
I think I know enough of hate
To say that for destruction ice
Is also great
And would suffice.

Im so jealous your such a beautiful writer i cant deny it from the paragraph i read i the words jumped off the page i could see everything vivid imagination will get you far . 

- Veronica Musawwir

lexie lue:) said...
I think I would love to read this book if i can find it...it has a really good use of words. I wanted it to go on so I could read more about it!!

Cameandgonesmarty ELITE, North Vancouver, Other

"One day, your life will flash before your eyes; make sure it's worth watching."

this was so beautiful it made me cry

billgamesh11 BRONZE, Grafton, Massachusetts

"It's always darkest before the dawn." ~Florence and the Machine

Wow that was good! I wish I could write like you... Keep writing!!!:):):);)

Tongue_Blep PLATINUM, ????, Ohio
It was was AWESOME!!! great job! (Sorry for advrertizing) I just wrote two stories called nightstalker and the beast. If anyone could check them out and post some comments and feedback that would be great. Thanks! and keep writing everybody! :)(:

WriteItOff said...
WriteItOff, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
maybe a little more of a story line, I'm not quite sure what the character is so upset about...and less description perhaps, the fire doesnt need a paragraph of its own

chelsead BRONZE, Marlette, Michigan

-Tuck Everlasting

Thank you for the feedback! I'm so touched by all of the positive things everyone has to say. :)

chelsead BRONZE, Marlette, Michigan

-Tuck Everlasting

The colors in her eyes were just mixed, like green with blue specks. :)

Wow, I'm CRYING!

like LEGIT.

OMG this is so touching...

booklover104 BRONZE, Stockton, California

I have a couple of quotes i like... \"Success is not a doorway it\'s a staircase\"
2. \"Everything happens for a reason\"
3.\"Your worth consists in what you are and not in what you have\"-Thomas Edison

very descriptive, good job! I liked it! =)

Padfoot95 SILVER, North Vancouver, Other

Everyone is the age of their heart.

This was really good :) I love what he says about her eyes. Sweet.

liveincolor GOLD, Gainesville, Florida

You need to be the change you wish to see in the world. ~Ghandi

It seems sort of fake. You should have put more personal emotions into the piece instead of forcing made up ones.

SkyeWunder said...
SkyeWunder, Cartersville, Georgia
Loved all of it cause it made me think and want more work form you!

SkyeWunder said...
SkyeWunder, Cartersville, Georgia
skyblue95, i'll read ur work.

KristinD BRONZE, Lincoln Park, New Jersey
the story was beautiful, it kept me on edge as i read each line. thank you  :)