Daydreamer | Teen Ink

Daydreamer

August 28, 2009
By chelsead BRONZE, Marlette, Michigan
chelsead BRONZE, Marlette, Michigan
2 articles 0 photos 11 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Do not fear death, but rather the unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live."
-Tuck Everlasting


The days blur together. Hour after hour she sits on her porch swing, watching each day fade into the next. All she can make out are the colors--the bright green of the trees, the vivid blue of the sky, the gray of the overcast clouds, the shades of pink, purple, and yellow in the flowers around her. It was so easy to lose track of time in this haze that she was so sure would last forever; or at least that's what she told herself. It will never end. Never.


Another summer night. The fire danced, lightly leaping around and around, higher and higher. Embers glowing brightly around the bottom seemed to encourage the flames to jump to even greater heights as the dark smoke flew into the clear night sky. Her eyes stared unblinking into the dancing fire, hypnotized--daydreaming, lost. Of course, that was the way it always was anymore.


He grabbed her hand, holding it tightly. The fire and everyone around it disappeared in that instant. He pulled her pale face toward his, his bright blue eyes gazing intently into her own blue-green eyes. Smiling, he whispered into her ear, "Your eyes are just like you, Beth. They couldn't make up their mind so they decided on the best of both worlds." In spite of herself she smiled back at him, but he read her face as easily as if it was one of the many books she had hidden behind. His strong arms embraced her, and she held on as tightly as she could.


For years, she had dreamed of this. Now all she could do was look back on the years and wish for more. Her thoughts drifted back to the first time she fell off of her bike, and the tears that streamed down her face with that first sharp pain only to be wiped away by her father's caring hands. She felt the warm sunlight around her as she walked on the red dirt roads, laughing and talking with her sisters. She heard her heart pounding in her ears the first time she had ever snuck out of the house to meet her best friend. The memories came from everywhere, surrounding her, crushing her. And now there was him.


He led her away from the bonfire. Standing by his white truck, he gently kissed her forehead. "This is not goodbye," he asserted, drawing her closer. He let go slowly, and then, without a word, he leapt into the driver's seat, leaning out of the window as he said, "I'll see you later, my little daydreamer." Then he drove away, into an uncertain world. The tears slid slowly down her face, but she simply let them fall, refusing to wipe them away.


Her van was packed, ready for her in the morning. Another path lay before her, a future that only she could make for herself. She had always dreamed of this. So why could she only dream now of the beautiful world that danced in his eyes?


Her dreams were obscured somehow, and they too were drifting away . . .



Similar Articles

JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 80 comments.


on Jun. 13 2010 at 8:04 pm
JamieStarr GOLD, Sevierville, Tennessee
11 articles 0 photos 54 comments

Favorite Quote:
o! thats why i love you. :) i love you.

it was very vivid like i was actually there. i was wondering did he just go away or what happened to him?

darkvisions said...
on May. 26 2010 at 7:54 pm
darkvisions, White Plains, New York
0 articles 0 photos 21 comments
This description is extraordinary! <3

BeloveD SILVER said...
on May. 26 2010 at 11:09 am
BeloveD SILVER, Gretna, Nebraska
5 articles 0 photos 15 comments

Favorite Quote:
If you love something, let it be. If it doesn't come back to you, it was never ment to be.

great job describing what is happening :) i loved it.

on May. 26 2010 at 9:32 am
19juliannabet93 BRONZE, St. Johns, Florida
2 articles 0 photos 2 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that most frightens us."- Marianne Williamson

Everything was so vivid.  Like I was watching it all happen.  I loved it!!

on May. 26 2010 at 9:10 am
CanYouSeeTheCrazy PLATINUM, Cle Elum, Washington
21 articles 0 photos 125 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I know why everyone in this world is so desperate to find love."
"Oh yeah? Why then?"
"Because, it's the closest thing we have to magic."

ohmygosh, i love it so much! your writing makes the imagery vivid, and in words, you show the reader the relationship between the guy and girl. great job, keep it up!

on May. 12 2010 at 6:38 pm
dreamer10 SILVER, Newfields, New Hampshire
6 articles 0 photos 2 comments
This is so good! I love your writing style and the snapshots of her memories/day dreams. I like how alot of it was really relatable. Please keep writing!

on Apr. 12 2010 at 7:32 pm
--LoveHappens--, Fairfield, Connecticut
0 articles 0 photos 342 comments

Favorite Quote:
"A friend is someone who knows you, but loves you anyway"

I love all the description but iI dontdon't understand the story sorry........  also iI would love it if anyone would read some or one of mY arTical thanks!!!!

sancia BRONZE said...
on Apr. 12 2010 at 1:38 am
sancia BRONZE, Trivandrum, Other
2 articles 1 photo 7 comments

Favorite Quote:
i love u, u love me, we love each other.....:)

very cool article 

good one frnd


on Mar. 30 2010 at 9:58 am
jennee21_ann GOLD, Helper, Utah
17 articles 0 photos 568 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Don't gain the world and lose your soul....wisdom is better than silver or gold."

"You can always close a book, but you can never close the mind of a writer."

i love how much description you put into all this. it paints a beautiful picture. i can imagine just what is going on. it's a great story, though sad. but all around i LOVE it :) would you mind checking out my piece "take my heart and break it?" id really like your opinion. thanks!

on Mar. 21 2010 at 10:56 pm
DreamWriter17 PLATINUM, Marengo, Indiana
34 articles 1 photo 682 comments

Favorite Quote:
learn from your past to live for the future.

kind of bittersweet...made me sad and happy at the same time. Good writing. Write more!

on Mar. 21 2010 at 6:40 pm
xBaByGiRrL22x PLATINUM, Pearl River, New York
22 articles 0 photos 280 comments

Favorite Quote:
"The goal isn't to live forever, but create something that will."
"If you wanna go, baby let's go; if you wanna rock, I'm ready to roll.''
"No one ever said it'd be easy. They just said it'd be worth it." <3

omg i waz completely drawn in from

the beginning. i luvv this!!

u did an amazing job with descriptions.

plz keep writing!!

on Feb. 27 2010 at 7:52 pm
contrygurl BRONZE, Sanbernardino, California
4 articles 0 photos 117 comments

Favorite Quote:
to love and to be loved is lifes greatest joy

i totally agree! keep up the great work

on Feb. 27 2010 at 7:30 pm
escapeing-thoughts, Fort Wayne, Indiana
0 articles 1 photo 3 comments

Favorite Quote:
If the world had a beating heart it wouldnt judge a person by there skin color, looks or who they are. It wouldnt judge an animals by being an animal. Were all simply the same to the Earth. (this is my quote.)

omg, I was completly lost in this. I love it. Oh my, Please please please please! write more, hopefully you will become a writer and write even more--- books tho. I would buy every last one.

on Feb. 27 2010 at 10:31 am
emajin96! BRONZE, Millersville, Maryland
1 article 0 photos 15 comments

Favorite Quote:
"

I really like this!! You did very well in preserving those emotions in this piece, and I loved reading it!

on Feb. 27 2010 at 12:50 am
iloveparamore BRONZE, Tucson, Arizona
1 article 8 photos 7 comments

Favorite Quote:
\"dont rainon my parade\" \"i want to be his favorite hello&his hardest goodbye\"

this was really good i like it

on Feb. 6 2010 at 10:06 am
literaryaddict PLATINUM, Albuquerque, New Mexico
23 articles 3 photos 157 comments

Favorite Quote:
"We're almost there and no where near it. All that matters is that we're going." Lorelai Gilmore, Gilmore Girls
"The whole theory of modern education is radically unsound." Lady Bracknell, The Importance of Being Earnest, Oscar Wilde

ok i get it. that's cool how you captured one moment.

on Feb. 5 2010 at 4:51 pm
chelsead BRONZE, Marlette, Michigan
2 articles 0 photos 11 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Do not fear death, but rather the unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live."
-Tuck Everlasting

thanks for the constructive criticism :) I guess I wasn't trying to tell a story, although maybe it could develop into one, but to capture a moment in someone's life. This was written the night before I went to college when I was having all of these realizations hit me at once, and I was trying to capture how I felt. Next time, I'll try to make my point a little more clear and maybe develop a plot a little more. Thanks again! :)

on Feb. 5 2010 at 4:29 pm
literaryaddict PLATINUM, Albuquerque, New Mexico
23 articles 3 photos 157 comments

Favorite Quote:
"We're almost there and no where near it. All that matters is that we're going." Lorelai Gilmore, Gilmore Girls
"The whole theory of modern education is radically unsound." Lady Bracknell, The Importance of Being Earnest, Oscar Wilde

you did a great job with emotions, but with the plot line...i just didn't get it. maybe i'm an idiot, but it seemed only half-finished. but, you did a really awesome job otherwise

on Feb. 5 2010 at 12:17 pm
chelsead BRONZE, Marlette, Michigan
2 articles 0 photos 11 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Do not fear death, but rather the unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live."
-Tuck Everlasting

Thank you so much; your comments all mean a lot to me. I guess that my best advice would be to write when you're in the moment. I wrote this the night before I left for college, and it gave me a chance to let out all of my emotion. That's why I love writing so much :)

on Feb. 5 2010 at 11:27 am
Lucky.Deviant SILVER, Park City, Utah
6 articles 6 photos 21 comments

Favorite Quote:
"We all know the people that walk the halls, we all know their in this fight to be the best in life with us, so why to we snare at them, glare, and pass them by without even a friendly smile that says; I'm here for you, we'll be alright." -Myself

please let me know when you write your novel! Also would you like to give me some tips on how you wrote this? I hope that someday i can write as good as this!