Product of Despise #1 | Teen Ink

Product of Despise #1

September 16, 2013
By samdewees GOLD, Farmington, New Mexico
samdewees GOLD, Farmington, New Mexico
19 articles 0 photos 15 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten." - Neil Gaiman


1
Quote of the Chapter:
“It’s a pen.”
- The Lightning Theif

Andi P.O.V.:

I ducked as the creature swung it’s tail at me. “What the heck is that?!” I screamed at my friend Ryan. His jaw was set and he looked at me with a grim expression.

“That, Andi, is your first monster.”

Since I could comprehend the meaning of weird, I knew there was something about me that just wasn’t normal. There always seemed to be things I could do that no one else could, like hold my breathe under water for long periods of time or have a 4.7 A/N: Don’t know if this can actually happen. G.P.A by the age of 14. Not to mention I always had the lurking sense of separation, like I didn’t belong.

Some would say that my jet black hair and stormy grey eyes are some-what attractive, but once guys get whiff of my “abnormality,” they tend to steer clear. Never in my life had I had a place where I fit in. Never in my life have I had a home.

Foster care had me moving all over the Eastern part of the country. You would think that a child with my “talents” would live in a family full of neurosciencentist or marine biologists, but I didn’t even know who my mother and father were.

The story says that I was found in a gray and sea green basket on the steps of my very first orphanage. No note, no picture. All I had were weird memories of what seemed like storm clouds and raging seas. There was one thing, though. My one prized possession. It was a bracelet with charms of an owl, horse, wave, and olive tree on it. No matter how much I grew, it always seemed to fit me.

Despite all the moving around, there were some rare moments where I actually made some friends. But then, up and out of the blue I would have to move. There was never an explanation or a reason for the sudden leavings. I did notice something, though. Right before I had to move away, something weird or out of place would happen or be seen. The same thing happened almost every 8 or 9 months. I hated it.

So that’s where my story starts. In another town for another couple of months. I was about to turn 15, so I had invited a few friends over... o.k. Ryan came over and we watched old broadway musicals (Ryan was my only friend in this town. He had a slight limp and loved enchiladas). We were just chilling when Kate (my foster mom) came up to us and turned off the T.V.. Ryan and I groaned. “Kate! We were just getting to the point when Scar throws Mufasa off the cliff!”

She tusked.

“Oh Andromea, (I hissed at the use of my full name) you have probably seen this show thousands of times. Go outside and get some fresh air!” That is what I don’t like about foster parents. They always try to do what’s best for you, even when it’s the child’s freakin’ birthday! I glared at Kate’s back as she walk out of the room. As soon as Ryan and I got off the couch three of my other foster siblings. With a roll of my eyes I stepped out the front door.

Currently I was living in Virginia, so there was plenty of parks A/N: Sorry if this is wrong. We walked a few blocks and Ryan let out a gasp. I looked up from my feet. Before me stood a 8ft. tall... thing. I ducked as the creature swung it’s tail at me. “What the heckl is that?!” I screamed at my friend Ryan. His jaw was set and he looked at me with a grim expression.

“That, Andi, is your first monster.” I looked at him in confusion, then it clicked. We must have fallen asleep during the movie, this was probably a dream. So I laughed.

“And how exactly am I suppose to get rid of this monster?” I asked, sarcasm present.

“Your bracelet! Speak to it!” He screamed. The monster was slowly walking toward us. I rolled my eyes.

“What do I say to my bracelet?”

“Sword!” I brought my bracelet to my mouth and with another roll of the eyes I whispered sword.’Suddenly my bracelet wasn’t on my wrist anymore, but in my hands I held a gleaming sword. On it was a drawing of an owl with a wave under it. On the handle the word ???????????? was inscribed. For some reason I could tell it meant divergent. Divergent meant different. “Would you stop admiring and actually use it?!” My slightly annoying friend screamed while pointing at the advancing monster.

It felt like I had done this before. With a lunge, I got within stabbing range. My brain seemed to be moving at 113 mph. I was coming up with a plan. I stabbed, slashed, and parred. This guy relied on his tail to much, whenever he used it his balanced was messed up. The next time he tried to knock me over with his tail, I kicked him in the stomach. He grunted and fell to the ground. Without wasting time I raised my sword and brought it down on the ruiner of my birthday. All that was left of him was dust, literally.

I looked over to Ryan who was brushing himself off. All of a sudden this didn’t feel like a dream anymore. He looked over at me and sighed. “Say bracelet.” he said to me. I shook myself out of my trace.

“What?”

“Say bracelet.” I looked down the sword and realized what he meant.

“Oh, right. Bracelet.” I whispered at the sword. Just as quickly as it had become a sword, it had changed back into a regular bracelet. Ryan stood up and walked to me. He stopped when he stood only a few feet away. With a shaky breathe I looked up at him.

“Andi there is something I’ve been meaning to tell you for a few weeks.” I looked at him expectantly. “Andi... you’re the product of one of the Greek gods. You’re a demi-god, and a dang powerful one at that.”


The author's comments:
I really like the idea that Athena and Poseidon get together so I did this.