Captain N: Issue #1 | Teen Ink

Captain N: Issue #1

By The_Earl_of_Zerces PLATINUM, Waukesha, Wisconsin
The_Earl_of_Zerces PLATINUM, Waukesha, Wisconsin

"Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar."
-Sigmund Freud

Issue #1
Page 1
Panel 1
1.
It’s totally black, except for a single white droplet falling
Panel 2
2.
Text-box: “The best thing…”
Panel 3
3.
Same as Panel 1, only the droplet has fallen further
Panel 4
4.
Text-Box: “…In every noble dream…”
Panel 4
5.
Same as Panel 3, but again, the white droplet has fallen further
Panel 5
6.
Text-Box: “…Is the dreamer.*”
Panel 6
7.
The droplet has fallen completely and makes a little splashing shape.
Footnote: *Moncure Conway
Page 2
Panel 1
1.
Kevin’s eyes open, and they look surprised, almost scared
Panel 2
2.
Thought-Box: “Where am I?”
Panel 3
3.
We see the silhouette of Kevin rising up, he’s been lying on his back. It’s dark.
Panel 4
4.
We now see Kevin’s surroundings. He’s in the middle of a long corridor. It’s completely dark, except for a neon blue light emanating from the wainscoting and coving. The ends of the corridor branch out into two different branches, each heading the opposite of one another. Kevin is looking around, confused.
5.
Thought-Box: “What is this place?”
Panel 5
6.
Thought-Box: “Okay, okay, calm down, get ahold of yourself. Right. Okay, my name is Kevin Keene, I know that, and…and…”
Page 3
Panel 1
1.
Thought Box: “…and…”
Panel 2
2.
Kevin stumbles back, confused and scared.
Kevin
“Oh no, oh no, what’s going on? Why don’t I remember anything except my name? Am I crazy? Am I dreaming? How is this possible? I-“
Panel 3
3.
Kevin’s head turns, a noise is coming from the end of one of the corridors.
Panel 4
4.
Close-Up as a giant, orange ghost comes rushing out from around the corridor’s end.
Panel 5
5.
Kevin looks totally freaked out.
Kevin
“WHAT THE- WHAT IS THAT THING!?!”
Panel 6
6.
Kevin runs down the corridor as the ghost chases him. Kevin is screaming.
Page 4
Panel 1
1.
Kevin is still running and still screaming with the ghost behind him.
Panel 2
2.
Kevin is about to turn past the corridor’s end, when you notice that some one’s coming around that corner in the opposite direction that Kevin’s running.
Panel 3
3.
Kevin looks even more shocked as Pac-Man bursts out from behind the corridor, a heroic look on his face.
Pac-Man
“I say! A damsel in distress? Just the job for a hero such as I!”
Panel 4
4.
Pac-Man, in mid-air, looking dashing, extends his hand towards the confused Kevin and grabs Kevin’s wrist.
Pac-Man
“Take my hand, oh fair maiden!”
Kevin
“Huh?”
Panel 5
5.
Kevin is pulled into the air by Pac-Man. We see Kevin whoosh by.
Kevin
SFX: AAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!
Panel 6
6.
A motion sequence like Spiderman where Pac-Man, with Kevin in tow, flips through the air over the Orange Ghost, and lands gracefully, while Kevin falls flat on his butt.
Page 5
Panel 1
1.
Pac-Man is bowing and listening to imaginary applause as Kevin rubs his sore kiester.
Pac-Man
“Oh, thank you! Thank you. It was nothing! I was merely helping! No thanks necessary!”
Kevin
“Ow.”
Panel 2
2.
Pac-Man, with a kissy-kissy cartoon look about him, is trying to move on Kevin, but Kevin’s arm prevents him and keeps him stationary, though his legs continue to move. Kevin looks annoyed.
Pac-Man
“Now then, fair-“
Panel 3
3.
Close-up on Pac-Man, coming to the stunning realization that Kevin isn’t a girl. Kevin’s hand is still on Pac-Man’s face.
Pac-Man
“What the- What have you done with the fair maiden that I just rescued? Explain your-“
Panel 4
4.
Kevin flings Pac-Man against the wall.
5.
SFX: Thwump!
Pac-Man
“OOF!”
Panel 5
6.
A dazed Pac-Man rubs his head.
Pac-Man
“Ooh, that wasn’t very nice.”
Panel 6
7.
Kevin’s hand grabs Pac-Man and pulls him up.
Pac-Man
“AH!”
Panel 7
8.
Kevin is yelling at Pac-Man a few inches from his face.
Kevin
“Look. I don’t know who you are or where I am, so could you please just tell me what’s going on!?!”
Page 6
Panel 1
1.
Close-Up on Pac-Man, concern etched in his face.
Pac-Man
“Oh, I’m sorry. Um, could you put me down?”
Panel 2
2.
Kevin puts Pac-Man down. Kevin looks tired.
Kevin
“Yeah, sorry, just, what was that thing? More importantly, what are you?”
Panel 3
3.
Pac-Man is dusting himself off and looking up at Kevin. He only comes up to Kevin’s knee.
Pac-Man
“Well, that thing was Clyde. Don’t worry, he won’t come back. He just goes in random directions. And me? I’m Pac-Man, pleasure to meet you…”
Kevin
“Um, Kevin. Kevin Keene.”
Pac-Man
“Pleasure to meet you, Kevinkevinkeene.”
Panel 4
4.
Kevin looks confused down at Pac-Man.
Kevin
“Huh? No, it’s just Kevin. Kevin Keene.”
Panel 5
5.
Pac-Man’s face. He looks confused.
Pac-Man
“I know, that’s what I said. Kevinkevinkeene.”
Panel 6
6.
Kevin’s face. Now he’s a little exasperated.
Kevin
“What? No, just call me Kevin.”
Panel 7
7.
Pac-Man’s face.
Pac-Man
“Just Kevin?”
Panel 8
8.
Kevin’s face, relieved.
Kevin
“Yes, that’s right.”
Panel 9
9.
Pac-Man’s face, happy.
Pac-Man
“Alright, Kevin.”
Panel 10
10.
Kevin looks down at Pac-Man.
Kevin
“So yeah, what is this place?”
Page 7
Panel 1
1.
Pac-Man has his hand over his mouth in a scholarly, musing fashion, and his eyebrows show a comical, yet seriously thinking, brow. Kevin looks incredibly shocked, with one of his hands over his head.
Pac-Man
“Ah, yes, well…….I don’t know.”
Kevin Keene
“What!?!”
Panel 2
2.
Close-Up on Pac-Man, who is sheepishly grinning while rubbing the back of his neck.
Pac-Man
“Um, well, hehe, it’s just that I’ve been stuck here for so long that I don’t remember what this place is.”
Panel 3
3.
Kevin is looking at Pac-Man, his face has become concerned. Pac-Man, now fully serious, is, somewhat sadly, recounting his story.
Kevin
“Huh?”
Pac-Man
“Well, I remember my name, and I remember bits and pieces of my past, but I’ve been running in this maze, dodging the ghosts, and collecting pixels for I-don’t-know-how-long. It could be years, decades, centuries even. I wish I could help you, but I’m afraid that I can’t even help myself. I think I may have gone quite mad.”
Panel 4
4.
Kevin has slumped against the wall, a look of defeat on his face. Pac-Man turns toward him, surprised.
Kevin
“Sigh” You and me both, pal.”
Pac-Man
“Huh? What do you mean?”
Panel 5
5.
Close-Up on Kevin, looking sad.
Kevin
“I remember my name and that’s it. I just woke up here, and then you showed up. I have no idea what’s going on or what I’m supposed to do.”
Panel 6
6.
Pac-Man sits next to Kevin, looking at Kevin with pity.
Pac-Man
“Wow, I’m sorry.”
Panel 7
7.
Pac-Man is looking at something in the pocket of Kevin’s jacket, curiosity etched on his face.
Pac-Man
“Wait. Kevin, what’s that in your pocket?”
Page 8
Panel 1
1.
Kevin looks down at his pocket, confused. Pac-Man is pointing at his pocket, very curious.
Kevin
“Huh?”
Pac-Man
“In your pocket. There is a distinctive bulge. What is it?”
Panel 2
2.
Kevin stands up, putting his hand in his jacket pocket. Pac-Man looks up at him.
Kevin
“What? I don’t think so, I mean-“
Pac-Man
“There’s definitely something there.”
Panel 3
3.
Close-Up on Kevin’s face, which is very surprised.
Kevin
“Well I’ll be…”
Panel 4
4.
Kevin’s hand is still in his pocket. Pac-Man gets up and jumps towards Kevin.
Pac-Man
“Well? What is it?”
Kevin
“Um…”
Panel 5
5.
Close-Up on Kevin’s hand, with a Wii-mote in it.
Kevin
“…I have absolutely no idea.”
Panel 6
6.
Kevin has crouched down so that Pac-Man can get a better look at the Wii-mote. Pac-Man’s eyes are squinting.
Kevin
“Well? Have you ever seen anything like this before?”
Pac-Man
“Not to the best of my recollection. However…”
Panel 7
7.
Pac-Man has taken a closer look at the Wii-mote, his face concentrated, trying to remember something.
Pac-Man
“…It does look kind of familiar.”
Panel 8
8.
Close-Up on Pac-Man’s face, realization dawning on him.
Pac-Man
“Wait.”
Page 9
Panel 1
1.
Pac-Man looks up at Kevin. He knows something that we don’t.
Pac-Man
“Draw a door.”
Kevin
“What?”
Panel 2
2.
Kevin has stood up, and Pac-Man’s face is etched with urgency.
Pac-Man
“Do you see the buttons that your thumb and your index are on?”
Kevin
“Um, yeah?”
Pac-Man
“Hold them down, and then draw a door on the wall with the remote.”
Panel 3
3.
Kevin has the buttons held down, though his face looks skeptical.
Kevin
“Okay…”
Panel 4
4.
Kevin draws a door. A white, linear light appears where the Wii-mote has touched the door.

Panel 5
5.
Kevin looks back at Pac-Man, looking skeptical.
Kevin
“Okay, so now what?”
Panel 6
6.
Same panel, but now, the light behind Kevin’s head is glowing even brighter, and Kevin looks surprised.

Panel 7
7.
Kevin has turned back, with his free hand covering his eyes from the bright light. Pac-Man is looking directly at the light, with a stupid grin on his face.
Pac-Man
“I think I just found us a way out of here.”
Page 10
Panel 1
1.
Kevin has stood up and is looking totally dumbstruck directly at the readers, while Pac-Man is looking at the readers with that really stupid grin of his.
Panel 2
2.
Same shot, but now Kevin and Pac-Man are looking at one another, grinning.
Pac-Man
“Sooo…”
Panel 3
3.
Kevin and Pac-Man are shown running out of the door hooting and jumping with joy. They hardly notice the rocky, charred ground beneath their feet.
Panel 4
4.
Well, at least until Kevin trips on a rock.
5.
SFX: “Oof!”
Panel 5
6.
Pac-Man rushes over to Kevin, he’s very worried.
Pac-Man
“AH! Kevin! Are you-“
Panel 6
7.
Close-Up as Pac-Man, beside a groaning Kevin, looks out towards their new surroundings.
Pac-Man
“…Uh-Oh.”
Kevin
“Oh, no, what’s wrong now?”
Panel 7
8.
Now the audience sees what Pac-Man’s seeing; a charred, barren, post-apocalyptic wasteland.
Pac-Man
“I think we probably should’ve stayed inside.”
Page 11-12
Panel 1
1.
Back to the close-up of the shocked Kevin and Pac-Man. Pac-Man is starting to look scared.
Kevin
(Whisper): “Oh my God.”
Panel 2
2.
Pac-Man has started to back up, he’s scared.
Pac-Man
“This is crazy. What is this place? Why don’t I remember-why don’t WE remember anything?!? It’s all just too-“
Panel 3
3.
Pac-Man bumps into the wall of the building that they came out of.
Panel 4
4.
Pac-Man turns around and looks at the building. He gasps.
Panel 5
5.
This is a big panel. It’ll cover the rest of Page 11 and all of page 12. This shows the building that Kevin and Pac-Man just came out of in its full size. Make Kevin and Pac-Man as small and insignificant as you can, and make the building as big as you can. It’s really just a gigantic, black box. There are no doors or windows, and no light seems to shine off of it. It’s like looking into a black hole.
Page 13
Panel 1
1.
Kevin has stood up and is standing next to Pac-Man. Both of them are looking up at the Building, utterly shocked. (There sure seems to be a lot of shock going around)
Kevin
“…Oh boy.”
Panel 2
2.
Kevin is looking concerned down at Pac-Man, who has just sat down, looking like he’s in way over his head.
Pac-Man
“This is just too much for me.”
Panel 3
3.
Close-Up as Kevin’s hand grabs Pac-Man’s head and lifts him up. Pac-Man look’s a little surprised.
Kevin
“Hey!”
Panels 4-5
4.
These two panels will essentially be the same thing, just at different angles. Kevin has grabbed Pac-Man’s head so that they can look each-other in the eye. Kevin is giving Pac-Man a pep-talk. You can divide up this dialogue between the two panels as you find most convenient.
Kevin
“’Sigh’, look, I know that we both have no idea what’s going on. And if you’re feeling like I am, then there’s some part of you that’s scared to find out. But, if you knew how to use this weird remote-thing, then I think you’ll be able to figure out how to get out of any other situation. We both need each other if we’re gonna get out of this weird place and remember who we are, so I don’t have any time for you to give up on me. You didn’t give me any time to give up. Let’s go, okay?”
Panel 6
5.
Pac-Man is looking at Kevin, a little shocked by his sudden bout of courage.
Panel 7
6.
Pac-Man smiles.
Pac-Man
“Okay.”
Page 14
Panel 1
1.
Kevin has put Pac-Man on his shoulder. They’re ripped and ready ta go on an adventure!
Kevin
“Right then, let’s go.”
Panel 2
2.
Kevin and Pac-Mans’ backs are facing us as they walk off into the distance. Things look good.
Panel 3
3.
Same shot, but now, Kevin has stopped and is putting Pac-Man down.
Kevin
“Oh boy, I gotta put you down, you’re way too heavy.”
Panel 4
4.
(Right then, sorry about that) Now the two intrepid explorers are walking side-by-side into the distance.
Panel 5
5.
Now the “camera” looks back at the Building, along with its open door.
Panel 6
6.
Now a close-up of that open door. We want the readers thinking “Those idiots!!!” They forgot to shut the door!”
Panel 7
7.
Now we see a silhouette of something creep near the inside of the door. We want the readers thinking “Oh crap!”
Page 15
Panel 1
1.
Kevin and Pac-Man are walking through the waste-land. Pretty simple really.
Panel 2
2.
Pac-Man flops down, ready for a break.
Pac-Man
“Ooh-boy, I am beat!”
Panel 3
3.
Kevin is looking at Pac-Man without pity, but Pac-Man is lazily smiling.
Kevin
“Pac-Man, we’ve only been walking for a few hours.”
Pac-Man
“Exactly! I don’t have your long, long legs to effortlessly walk with. I need a break!”
Panel 4
4.
Kevin sighs and sits down, but blast it, he’s not happy about it!
Panel 5
5.
Same shot. Kevin is sitting, looking bored.
Panel 6
6.
Same shot, but now Kevin is pointing and looks scared.
Kevin
“Uh, Pac-Man?”
Panel 7
7.
Pac-Man is looking up, but doesn’t notice the drooling, giant centipede behind him!
Pac-Man
“What?”
Page 16-19
Okay, this is essentially going to be a fight scene, so I don’t care what exact panels you use, just put these events into these pages:
1.
Pac-Man turns around and screams. The centipede strikes but Kevin and Pac-Man barely jump out of the way in time. Kevin and Pac-Man start running away from the centipede through a crevice, but they’re no match for its speed and it soon catches up with them and cuts off their escape. Kevin grabs Pac-Man and tries to climb up the crevice-wall, but the centipede strikes the wall they’re climbing up and they fall. Now the centipede knows that it’s got them cornered, so it slowly creeps towards them, fangs drooling in a sick smile. Then, just when it looks like Captain N will only run for a single issue, we “hear” blaster-fire (SFX: Blam Blam) and the centipede falls to the ground, dead. Pac-Man and Kevin look up to see who their rescuers are.
Page 20
1.
Full-Page shot of Max (from Centipede: Infestation) looking down from the top of the crevice, with his blaster smoking in his hand.
Max
“And just who are you supposed to be?”

I don't know if this counts as Fan Fiction or a reboot, but this is a re-interpretation of the Cult Classic Captain N. I tried to put my own spin on things, so please read and tell me what you think. And no, there is no Man-on-Elephant crap or anything. What do you take me for?