The Mad December Mystery | Teen Ink

The Mad December Mystery

September 10, 2008
By Matt Groy GOLD, Park City, Utah
Matt Groy GOLD, Park City, Utah
11 articles 0 photos 0 comments

A nice quiet restaurant, out on the beach in tropical Costa Rica. The chef is first class. The staff is franticly running about bringing orders as fast but as calmly as they can. The restaurant has millions of people come a year. The owner of this restaurant has probably met his or her goal of being the owner of one of the most successful restaurants in the world. Although no one knew the owner of The Rainbow Fish.
Late December, on Christmas Eve to be exact, in 1998. Everyone was ready for the holiday. Some people were spending time with their families, others just relaxing ready for the Eve to come. Although one person was not. A very old women around 93 years old walked into The Rainbow Fish at about 1:13 a.m.. Of course the restaurant was closed but somehow she walked right in. She looked around the deserted restaurant. 'Perfect,” she thought to herself with a devilish smile on her face.
"Find them!" yelled Pablo, the manager of The Rainbow Fish. "There's not much we can do," the police officer replied. "Well what can you do?" "Uhhh we can line up the suspects who were in that area from 1-3 a.m. We can have them by next weekend, and you can hear their plea." "Good do that!" and Pablo stormed out of the robbed restaurant.
About a week later the police came back with the five suspects. A middle aged man was the first to arrive. He was in his mid 40's. The man had a frisky beard and brown wavy locks. He sat in the police car looking aimlessly out of the window. He stepped out and stood in line in front of The Rainbow Fish. The next suspect arrived. It was a girl about 20 years old. She was going to college at UCR or University of Costa Rica. She stood in line with the man. Another suspect came in a police car, but she had her son with her. They were both good looking people. Although they looked very sad. Finally, the 93 year old women arrived. She still had that evil smile on her face, but stepped out of the police car and stood with the other suspects.
"So it seems you were all in the area between 1-3 a.m. on Christmas Eve. Right now we would like to hear your plea of not robbing The Rainbow Fish." Pablo told the suspects. "First you sir." He pointed to the man with the beard. "I couldn't have done this crime I can't see out of my left eye, and no one can do this crime by themselves." "Very well, I believe you, you are free to go . . . for now." The man stood up and walked out of the restaurant.
"Next!" He pulled the college girl into a chair and started asking her questions. "Why were you in the area from 1-3 a.m?" "Ummm..." She was a very shy girl. "I was getting groceries next door to The Rainbow Fish." "Ya right, like I'm going to believe that." Pablo said with a grin. "No, please hear me out it's true. I was getting a refrigerator for my dorm." "At 2 a.m. yeah right." "Please I'm innocent." The girl said with such an innocent face almost like it was made and glued on there, just so innocent. "I hear your plea, and you are free to go." "Thank you!" and she stood up and left the premises.
The women and her son were next. They both walked over to Pablo with frightened looks on their faces. Another interrogation was about to begin. "Why would I steal when my kid was with me or why would I ever steal!?" The interrogation of these two people lasted 20 minutes, with many questions asked and answered. "Fine," Pablo said, "you have made a good statement, so you can go now." They both left with grins on their faces.
Finally, the 93 year old women came and sat down. "I know you didn't steal from it. I just really hope I catch the thieve one day." He said with a frown. "You already did." "What?" "I stole from The Rainbow Fish," she said very calmly. "WHAT? For a week now I've been trying to catch the thieve. I didn't think it would be this easy, but how could you?" "You really don't know who I am do you?" she said with a smile. Pablo shook his head. "I'm the owner of The Rainbow Fish," she stated. "I figured that if I would steal from it I could just tell you who I am Pablo. I may be the owner of this fine restaurant, but I'm also something more. I'm your mother, Jane Perry. You Pablo are Pablo Perry, my little boy." Pablo ran up and gave his mom a big hug. "Mom there is one thing I don't understand. Why did you leave The Rainbow Fish." Jane smiled. "Let's just say I will never leave it again."