EPGY Summer Institutes at Stanford University | Teen Ink

EPGY Summer Institutes at Stanford University

September 6, 2008
By Anonymous

EPGY Summer Institutes is an academic program run by one of the top ivy league schools, Stanford University. There is a middle school program for 7th and 8th graders and a high school program for 9th and up. Both are residential. I highly recommend this academic program. There are several courses you can choose from whether it's writing, computer programming, mathematics, or even law! For middle schoolers, the camp is 2 weeks long, meanwhile, the high school program is 3 weeks.

Students that attend EPGY Summer Institutes get their full fill of education. You take your classes in the morning after breakfast and have teachers teach you all you have to know. I have gone to this program for two years in a row and I thoroughly enjoyed it each time. The two classes I took were Creative Writing and Expository Writing. In Creative Writing, you take time to write poems and short stories. You read your peer's work and give constructive criticism. You also get to read and analyze short stories written by authors such as Ray Bradbury. When taking Expository Writing, you can practice writing memiors, persuasive essays, reviews, and more! Besides just classes, you may have homework that is done during study hall depending on the course you take.

"All work and no play???" You might ask. Not only are the EPGY Summer Institute camps academic, they're also fun! Students can sign up for sports teams and play basketball. You choose what activities you want to do the next day. Activities include yoga, swimming, jewelry making, flag football, shopping, etc. There are also planned activities. For example, certain sessions take a field trip to the beach. All the sessions host a dance and a talent show. Your dorm room most likely consists of 2 roommates. The counselors are also helpful and friendly.

EPGY Summer Institutes are for gifted teens. Therefore, you do have to fill an application early. You also need to show your standardized test scores and report cards unless you are an international student. There are fees when you apply, and I'll admit that this summer camp does take up a few thousand dollars. For people with financial issues, EPGY is willing to give scholarships. If you do decide to go, you will meet many people who share similar interests from all over the world! Now, I have friends from England, Thailand, Hong Kong, Canada, and even Japan! The EPGY Summer Institutes is a must-go. If you don't, you're missing out on loads of fun.


The author's comments:
If you'd like more reviews by me go to www.sweetxcandyxashy.blogspot.com/

Similar Articles

JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 30 comments.


Jia28 SILVER said...
on Jan. 31 2015 at 12:08 am
Jia28 SILVER, Belmont, Massachusetts
5 articles 0 photos 3 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Perhaps the true memorial should be a statue of a gaunt soldier in a threadbare overcoat with a Molotov cocktail in his hand. But then, I don't suppose many people would want to have their photos taken beside him" - Christopher Robins

I know, I was just about to say!! :D

fcorral27 said...
on May. 27 2013 at 5:45 pm
What happened?

eleanor said...
on Nov. 15 2012 at 7:55 am
i'm thinking of aplying for the new journalism course! i'm extremely excited too, this post was really helpful on top of the information on the website, thanks! I'm terrified I won't be able to compete with all the gifted students of the world though..

on Jul. 4 2012 at 6:52 am

Stanford University conducts some summer camping programs for teenagers. It is good for youth to take part in their interested programs. Parents can also visit the site to get details on different of summer camping programs for boys and girls.

http://www.summerscamps.net/


on Jun. 6 2012 at 3:10 am
People deserve good life and personal loans or college loan can make it better. Just because freedom depends on money.

way33 said...
on Jan. 22 2012 at 5:46 pm
I'd just like to add that the math and science camps are fun as well. Last summer I was terrified about what the people would be like - whether they would be way above my head or weirdos making noises in the corner. When I saw this review I was glad to see people liked the writing camp, but still terrified about the physics camp, as math and literature have always been pretty opposite. Well now I've been to a science camp and I thought it was absolutely fantastic. Its a great experience and I suggest it to anyone who can go. You meet a lot of normal, intelligent people from all over the world and are able to hang out and have fun after the learning through with, which everyone is very enthusiastic about. You can also go on runs and play pick up basketball games if your athletic like me. Just thought I'd add my two bits! :)

joh1234 said...
on Mar. 22 2011 at 8:28 am
Stanford is not an Ivy league school.....

on Feb. 2 2011 at 3:18 pm
maddie.lecesne BRONZE, New Orleans, Louisiana
2 articles 0 photos 2 comments
I want to apply to study anthropology or psychology, but I've never taken a formal class in either of those subjects. Will it be dificult for me to keep up?

JP :D said...
on Jan. 30 2011 at 1:39 am
ooo...yay metoo!!!! but i signed up for math-science and computer programming--dunno if they will accept me or not!!!!

blondie30 said...
on Jan. 17 2011 at 12:35 am
blondie30, Ecru, Mississippi
0 articles 0 photos 4 comments

Favorite Quote:
What is right is not always popular, and what is popular is not always right.

I applied for this summer's program! And I really hope that I get to go* It looks like an amazing program! I've applied for Creative Writing and Legal Studies, but I really don't know which one I would rather attend! Is there anything else you can tell me about camp life? And things of that sort? I am very interested to learn more about the day to day happenings at camp.

heyyyitsme said...
on Oct. 13 2010 at 8:37 pm
heyyyitsme, Englewood, New Jersey
0 articles 0 photos 1 comment
i attended EPGY for three summers and i found the courses to be excellent. it certainly was an educational summer camp and i stress educational more than camp. It was centralized on providing students with an education. if you are looking to spend three weeks being a teenager, i would not chose this camp. i felt like i was being watched everywhere i went. i felt like i was two years old.

on Aug. 11 2010 at 12:36 pm
I only got to spend 8 days at EPGY, but it was undoubtably the best 8 days of my life. I took the creative writing course and met people from Spain to Hong Kong and everywhere in between. Unfortunately, I was expelled due to unusual circumstance and the counselors and staff weren't so nice about it, especially the people in charge of the entire program.

julieee said...
on Aug. 7 2010 at 1:30 pm

I've been to both CTY and EPGY, and I might agree that EPGY is academically ahead. The living conditions at EPGY might or might not be better depending on which site you choose for CTY.

However, CTY will give you a much more fulfilling experience that cannot be achieved at EPGY. In CTY, you will make friends that you will invite to your wedding someday. Your RA is truly like a big sister/brother, and your teachers and TAs are role models. It's amazing how strong the bonds become over just 3 weeks. CTYers are a giant family that is overflowing with love.

There are many, many traditions that never grow old. Look up 'CTY traditions' on Google. You'll find long lists of the crazy things that happen each summer. You won't find any for EPGY.

The dances at the end of each week are crazy fun. EVERYONE, even those who are 'socially awkward' and don't know how to dance, will join in and have fun dancing.

Everybody's crying on the last day, and all those emotions are just purely amazing...There's just so much about CTY to say, but at the same time, the experience you get is INDESCRIBABLE. It's unique to CTYers, and it's something regular people cannot experience until they've been to CTY. Sure, EPGY is great, but at CTY your life WILL change. It's guaranteed.


on Jul. 25 2010 at 11:38 am
coravecwriter BRONZE, Dayton, Ohio
4 articles 1 photo 36 comments
I went there last summer and took the Creative Writing Course. It was an amazing experience!

teddy said...
on Jul. 5 2010 at 9:30 am
The EPGY program preceeds the CTY program, however, CTY is based on much of the learning derived from the academic research performed at Stanford Un. by the professors whose work was responsible for EPGY. Generally EPGY is considered a slightly more competitive program than CTY while both are competitive. You will find 9th graders with 800 SAT scores at both programs and possibly even students with 600 Math or Reading scores as well. Both programs are similiar. There are some differences in the higher level Math programs for high school students. CTY has students take Linear Algebrar prior to Differential Math for instance; Stanford placed Differential Math prior to Linear Algebra. On-line CTY Pre-Calculus AB/BC is excellent if anyone wants on-line in place of overnight.

Linda said...
on Jun. 29 2010 at 10:17 pm
I got my housing assignment! Even more excited now!

on Jun. 28 2010 at 1:14 am
Taipei, Taiwan. Hence othersideoftheworld... Looking foward to seeing you there this summer :)

Linda said...
on Jun. 27 2010 at 9:45 pm
Im from Maryland, United States. Where are you from?

on Jun. 27 2010 at 7:26 am
Great! Mind asking where you are from?

Linda said...
on Jun. 26 2010 at 7:00 pm
cool! then ill see you. :)