Sex and the City | Teen Ink

Sex and the City

This bedazzled, shimmering and damn right fabulous show may appear intimidating at first. It's title alone may put you off, especially as a younger teen, however I can assure you that passed the obvious topic of sex the show delves into much deeper and more fabulous waters. Set in New York City and starting off in the late nineties this show is an insight to the era that we all wish we had been a part of, but were just never born into. The premice of the show involves four successful women as they navigate through  the dangerous waters that is the dating scene in NYC. With a character for every viewer, it is not hard to find yourself identifying with one of the core four that hold the show together.

The program is primarily about dating, don't get me wrong, but it is also so much more than that. Not only did Sex and the City serve as a dating bible to me as I enter my adult years it was also a fashion rule book. Carrie Bradshaw's incredibly daring and all roundedly fantastic sense of style never ceased to amaze me as a younger viewer. She introduced me to the world of Manolo Blahnik, Prada, Dior, Chanel and so much more. She was the inspiration I so desperately needed as a young teen to step out into my own, to dare to be different. 

Sex and the City is also extremely empowering. It acted as the strong female influence that totally introduced me to feminism as I know it today. Women are not pitted against other women, the reality of the hard life as a single woman is shown but it also teaches us girls to "enjoy our sucess and not apologise for it".   Power is now in the hands of the female and boy do these strong women show that. It inspired me. 

All of this is of course well accompanied by an extremely entertaining narrative that wraps you up in its whirlwind of new love interests, hard breakups and fantastic parties, and teaches you that love isn't easy, or perfect. What its shows is real, it is ridden with lessons to be learnt from the mistakes made by these four women, it helps you grow up. It is not a drama, it is not a supernatural show, it is not political, but it is simply fabulous. It is an adult show but that is not to say that it cannot be enjoyed by those of us who aren't the same age as the protagonists. I would highly reccomend it (to those over the age of 15) and I am well aware that I am not the first person to discover the show as it has won award upon award and is one of the most iconic television shows of all time. I just wish someone had told me about it earlier. Whether you are a hopeless romantic, a free spirit, a career foccused lunatic or just someone looking to watch something fun Sex and the City will deliver... I promise.