Review on Grey's Anatomy | Teen Ink

Review on Grey's Anatomy

January 18, 2024
By edenschoenfield BRONZE, Wyckoff, New Jersey
edenschoenfield BRONZE, Wyckoff, New Jersey
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Grey's Anatomy by Shonda Rhimes is one of the longest-running shows in history and also my favorite show ever. I first started watching the show in 7th grade after seeing an ad for it on T.V. This ad instantly grabbed my attention and encouraged me to go right upstairs to ask my mom if I had her permission to watch the first episode. After much convincing, she gave me the “OK” and from that moment on I was hooked. 

For the next year and a half, I binge-watched all 16 seasons on Netflix. I became fully engaged in each episode which was either about a new patient and their medical case or about one of the main characters and their journey through an intense surgery. The main characters of the show, Meredith, George, Izzy, Alex, and Christina consumed all my thoughts. I felt like I was right there alongside them, walking the halls of Grey Sloan Memorial Hospital and joining them in the operating room. Episode after episode, the story kept getting better and my emotional connection with the characters continued to grow stronger and stronger.

Although I was binge-watching the show, I didn’t realize how much it was a part of my life until I finished the 16th season. When it was over, I felt like something was missing from my daily routine. I eagerly waited for a new season to come out so I could watch the characters on the screen again. Lucky for me, each year around March, a new season is released, meaning in less than two months from today, season 20 will premiere. 

Although the show has changed tremendously since the first few seasons, I will continue to watch it until the very last episode airs. After watching the show for so long, I found myself falling in love and connecting with the characters, even though almost all of the original cast has either left or died (in the show). Each death or departure of a character impacted me personally. I never understood my emotional attachment to a character and how I practically grieved when they passed. But that's what I love about the show and what keeps me watching. The extreme length of the show allows you to grow with the characters and relate to them in many cases.  

While many people think the show has been around for way too long, I think the 19 episodes gives you time to get to know the characters and experience their character development in a way that adds a new perspective to your life. A writer named Elisabeth Vincentelli shared a similar opinion when she wrote, “If you become overly attached to a character or a couple on “Grey’s,’” chances are that at some point you will wind up either sobbing or furiously throwing objects at the wall. And you will keep watching because the show is uncommonly well-written and directed, even when the plot goes off the rails'' (Vincentelli). So, not only is the show universally addictive, but it's also an emotional rollercoaster that everyone should experience.

All in all, Grey’s Anatomy by Shonda Rhimes is beyond extraordinary. It has very interesting storylines and respective character development. Additionally, the countless seasons allow you to personally connect with the many characters and plot lines throughout the show. Even though it is quite a commitment, I highly recommend watching this show since it will honestly change your life.


The author's comments:

I enjoyed watching the show and would love to have this review convince people to watch it, despite its many seasons.