breaking bad | Teen Ink

breaking bad

Review: Breaking bad

The show starts off with our main character, Walter White, celebrating his birthday. He is an average suburban dad, with a son and a pregnant wife. He is a chemistry teacher and works at a car wash as well. We also find out that he has been hiding his diagnoses of lung cancer from his family. So, since his life has always been basic and now being diagnosed with cancer, he asks his brother-in-law, Hank Schrader-an agent at the DEA- to take him on a patrol. This is where the real story begins.

As Hank is busting a suspected drug lab, Walter sees one of his old students, Jesse Pinkman, fleeing from the building. Walter asks hank about how much money these people can make, and then takes this as an opportunity to start working with his old student, to become one of the biggest drug cooks and distributors in America. The entire show has a very well thought out plot, great characters, and occasionally minor bits of comedy. Once Walter begins this business, he changes. He goes from a boring old neighbor to an unforgiving tyrant that goes by the name of Heisenberg. The entirety of the time Walter is doing this, his brother-in-law is hunting the man named Heisenberg, and is constantly right on his tail. Hank doesn’t know of course that Heisenberg is Walter, and Walter likes keeping it that way. There is many different and unique characters that go through dramatic changes, from casual to ruthless, but most don’t compare to the cruelty and pure badass behaviour of Heisenberg.

There is some weaknesses to the show how ever. Some episodes are long and drawn out, while others feel like they go by too fast, but that’s just about it for the weaknesses, and all the strengths really outweigh the bad. Nearing the end of the show it starts tying over any leftover business from the rest of the series but finishes it all in a perfect ending. This was a show that I really hated seeing it end, but If you want an invigorating drama show that will have you at the edge of your seat the entirety of watching, this is the show for you.