Why Shameless is one of the best modern TV shows | Teen Ink

Why Shameless is one of the best modern TV shows

December 5, 2022
By Izeabella BRONZE, Nashitah, Wisconsin
Izeabella BRONZE, Nashitah, Wisconsin
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

When it comes to TV shows, especially ones with many seasons, there needs to be something that sets it apart from anything else I've seen for me to continue it.


Shameless is a TV show typically watched on streaming websites Netflix and Hulu and the series ended last year with its eleventh season. Airing in 2011, Shameless is based on the original UK version that came out in 2004. The show takes place in the South Side of Chicago and follows the life of six kids, their dunk father, and their struggles to raise themselves and each other. The oldest, Fiona, had to drop out of high school (however the show starts when she is 21) to be able to take care of her five siblings since neither their mother nor father are reliable. Their father is a selfish drunk and their mom is a bipolar drug addict who left while they were young. There are a total of 11 seasons that cover 9 years of their lives. 


The show touches on topics that not many other shows talk about. It shows multiple different LGBTQ relationships, one of which is one of the main characters, which not many shows now seem to do often. They also touch on many serious topics; addiction, drug abuse, mental illness (specifically bipolar), teen pregnancy, and poverty being the main ones. Compared to many other shows that attempt to include even a fraction of these topics, Shameless does a good job of depicting these in a realistic manner, or at least as realistic as a TV show can be. Even though serious topics are depicted, the show still is very comedic and interesting to watch which can be hard to accomplish and execute well. Along with this, the acting throughout the show is really good. Shows can easily become hard to watch if the acting isn’t done well but each actor in shameless does a good job at becoming their character and forming a connection with the audience. 


While I don’t have any dislikes or problems with the show, there are a few things worth mentioning that are good to know before watching. Shameless is rated PG-13 due to drugs, alcohol, violence, sex, and nudity. So, this isn't something to be watching around younger children.


Overall, Shameless is a good show to watch if you are looking for something to binge that has topics many other shows don’t talk about along with comedy and drama executed in a good manner that keeps you on your toes the whole time–as long as you have an open mind and are fine with the PG-13 aspects that come with it.