High School Musical: The Musical The Series | Teen Ink

High School Musical: The Musical The Series

By liyahh SILVER, Sacramento, California
liyahh SILVER, Sacramento, California

"Don't let the opinions of others consume you"

If you loved the movies of High School Musical, then you’ll really love the series of High School Musical: The Musical The Series. HMTMTS is full of talent and struggles that these students have to deal with on a daily at East High. From watching the first episode on Disney +, I was very entertained and anxious while waiting for a new chapter to come out on Fridays. There’s so much plot twist in each chapter that makes you want to egg the directors and writers houses. I was instantly drawn to all the actors/characters by how they deal with challenges, while acting out at school.  

If somebody would ask me to describe the show and they never watched the show, I would not have been able to say what its about without having to spoiling each chapter. HMTMTS opens up opportunities for students at East High, who wants to achieve greatness in their future. While trying to achieve that greatness, one of the main characters, Ricky, who plays at Troy has to deal with divorced parents, and knowing how to love someone when your own world is falling apart. What I mean by “knowing how to love someone when your own world is falling apart” I meant that Ricky has a hard time saying “I love you” to someone. When watching his two favorite people fall apart and not being “in love” with each other anymore, it's hard to know what’s real love or not. And being with someone, you have to love them enough but he couldn’t. He does what he can to make it up with that person because deep down inside, he knew he loved her enough but couldn't say it back. It was a real challenge for him and this shows today how people are not willing to give up that easily without a fight. 

Something about these characters is that they all envy and love each other at the same time. They all wish to be someone else, but little do they know is that they’re all superior on their own. However, they also have some secrets and flaws of their own. For example, one of the main characters, Nini, stole Gina belongings because she felt that she had no chance of making the auditions. Or it leads to Gina making difficult gymnastics moves that she knows Nini don’t know how to do. You also got EJ stealing Nini’s phone because he saw something he wasn’t supposed to see, but don't want her to see as well because that was something involving her ex boyfriend. This makes the show really interesting because the truth always comes out in the chapters. Overall, they did bonded with one another and the bonds they created are unique. Ricky and Nini shares a romantic passion even if they’re not together, the sparks are still there. 

! SPOILED ALERT ! Tim Federle is the creator of High School Musical: The Musical The series. Federle is an American novelist, theater librettist, and screenwriter. Federle won the Golden Globe Award, Academy Awards, and was nominee for Best Animated Feature. The critique of the script is just amazing, the way you can feel each character emotions is outstanding. It reveals real life situations that could be currently happening right now to you or somebody else. When Ricky finally confesses his love for Nini, the mood and tone just felt so real. The mood was an awe moment, and the tone was like a  “been dying to tell you” moment as well. In the beginning of the episode, I believed the writer wanted the viewers to see the growth of these characters throughout the season. The characters saw everyone else as competition, as of now, its their get away from reality that makes them bond. As if the musical is their second family now. The fact that the writers make their outfits/costumes look identical to the real cast of High School Musical is iconic. They want the characters to feel connected and be one with the originals.

Lastly, the acting was just phenomenal. The way the actors evoke emotion and believability was the top mark of success. Each actor expressed themselves with such passion and tone. The quality of these actors’ performances was beautifully well done. Bonding with each other outside from acting what made this story realistic and entertaining. Nini turned out the facing her fears and be more of a go getter. Ricky manned up and confessed his love for his girl. EJ stopped trying to fool people and started being more truthful towards people. Gina, learns that competition isn’t always everything. Now that’s character growth right there. 

Determined.