Survivor Review | Teen Ink

Survivor Review

May 13, 2019
By 0gunville BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
0gunville BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

For as long as I can remember, every Wednesday at 7:00 p.m. you can find me in front of the TV waiting for what Survivor has to offer. Survivor, the reality show has been airing on CBS for 19 years now, with 2 seasons per year, yet they continue to keep the audience wondering what will happen next because nothing about this show is predictable. The goal of the show is to be the last person to survive. Every episode has 1-2 challenges, lots of strategy talk and tribal council. One person is voted out every episode, the ones that get voted out halfway through the game become the jury. It is in their hands who wins the title of Sole Survivor and the million dollar check. It takes a certain finesse to win Survivor, but even more finesse to win the most current seasons, with the heightened game play and the need to constantly make big moves.

The most unique thing about Survivor is the range of emotions you feel as you are watching and how invested you get in the Castaways. There are some people that will never be forgotten- everyone who watches Survivor knows and loves Cirie. She is the woman who got up off the couch and played survivor, who is still remembered 14 years later. Or watching ‘Boston’ Rob, nicknamed for the Boston hat he always wore, propose to fellow contestant Amber. We watched them fall in love in Survivor All Stars, get engaged at the finale and have three beautiful kids.

Survivor has been starting conversations for nearly 20 years, from addressing social issues to showing people that they are not alone. One season was titled “David VS Goliath” showing the different opportunities given to those well off, within the first minutes of this season they clarified that this season was not about work ethic but about the various advantages given to the fortunate. In another season, Jeff Varner, from season two, came back to play after 15 years and could not keep up with the game play. He was on the verge of being voted out when he made a desperate play to out fellow contestant Zeke Smith as transgender. This started a conversation and movement. You can see that the drama in this show is not fake or scripted, making it different from many other reality shows. This is clear based on the genuine reactions and things said could not be scripted.

It feels like you are right there with them in the rural islands of FIji—minus being cold, wet and starving. The host, Jeff Probst is a staple of this show, he has been on this show since the beginning.

There are many components of this show making it unique and worth watching, it is unlike any other reality show currently airing, from the raw emotions to the connections and bonds you make with these people on your TV. My plans Wednesday at 7:00 will not change, I will still anxiously await the start of Survivor, but instead of watching with my mom, it will be with my roommates, husband or kids.


The author's comments:

I have been watching survivor for as long as I can remember, I felt it was necessary to explain to people why I love this show.