Killing Eve (Season 1) | Teen Ink

Killing Eve (Season 1) MAG

By JohnBrady GOLD, Dundalk, Other
JohnBrady GOLD, Dundalk, Other

We're all stories in the end. Just make it a good one.

“K

illing Eve” was made by BBC America and is one of the most adventurous, genre-defying pieces of TV I have ever seen. It is consistently unpredictable and wonderfully made. Here’s a quick description to pique your interest. Eve (Sandra Oh), an intelligent, desk-bound MI5 agent and mercurial hit-woman Villanelle (Jodie Comer) go head to head in a fierce game of cat and mouse. Each woman is equally obsessed with the other, as Eve is tasked with hunting down the psychopathic assassin.

While “Killing Eve” has a lot going for it, its crown jewel is the co-lead, Villanelle. Phoebe-Waller Bridge impressively writes this psychopath as a child in a woman’s body, turning a remorseless murderer into a hilarious and strangely likable character. Jodie Comer brings the writing to life in a thoroughly entertaining performance. When she spins herself around in an office chair and giggles after mercilessly killing one of her victims you can’t help but smile. Of course, I would be eviler than Villanelle herself if I failed to mention the second lead, played to perfection by Sandra Oh.

In stark contrast to Villanelle, Oh’s Eve shines in her obsession with Villanelle. When her husband questions this obsession, Eve replies, “she will keep hurting people until I catch her, she wants me to find her.” This line not only effectively summarizes Eve’s character but the entire plot. Eve spends the entire show putting her mental and physical energy into hunting a predator, while Villanelle is a predator playing with her food. She wants to be found.

As someone with a passion for writing, it is extremely refreshing to watch the show’s writer, Phoebe-Waller Bridge, consistently subvert the clichés of the spy genre. When Eve is entering the secret hideout where she will be working, instead of a serious scene introducing stakes, Eve’s boss tells her about the rat she once saw drink from a Coke can beside the door. Moments like these make “Killing Eve” consistently unpredictable. The directing also deserves acclaim. There are many different directors throughout the series but each one elevates the strong performances and writing. Shots linger on characters’ faces, inviting the audience to allow their minds to reflect on the characters and their motivations. There is a scene where Villanelle holds a knife against her prey and the camera goes so close, you can almost feel the cold steel on your own flesh.

The first series of “Killing Eve” is nothing short of a masterpiece. This show’s writing, direction, and performances will make you become one with your television screen for eight hours. Considering Ridley Scott’s comment that “Killing Eve” represents a real threat to the film industry, there is no doubt that this is a show to watch.