Trivium: Ascendancy | Teen Ink

Trivium: Ascendancy

By RyanMartinez2010 BRONZE, Alta Loma, California
RyanMartinez2010 BRONZE, Alta Loma, California

A large percent of today's culture is falling into the music genres rap, hip-hop, ect. While the metalcore music that our parents listened to through the 80's and 90's is slowly becoming less popular. Even fewer people are into the idea of screaming metal or scream-o (or Thrash Metal). I believe that screaming the lyrics are a way of self-expression that dramatically increases the emphasize of the music and brings out the lyrics to let the listener know that the singer put everything he had into his work. I recently stumbled upon the band "Trivium" through youtube. I did more research into the band and listened to there biggest hit on itunes, Like Light To Flies, which was off there 2005 album "Ascendancy". The music was astonishing and delivered a watershed of spectacular sound to my ears. Confronting topics head on such as abuse, suicide, society’s cruelties brought a sense of motivation to me, motivation to inform more people of not only this great band, but of these issues as well. Unlike a lot of screaming singers, Matt Heafy’s lyrics are intellectual and utmost respectable, and his singing voice is clear, smooth, and crisp, while his screams are powerful and full. Matt Heafy’s guitar combined with Corey Beaulieu’s guitar creates a harmony of fast riffs, insane solos, and furious fretwork. The material they play has great beat and yet is at a high level of difficulty. Travis Smith’s perfect drum beats fit this genre and make it what it is. The blazing fast double-bass pedals just send adrenaline through my veins. Travis’s beats and ability on the drums completes this band. Trivium is what I like to call an “eargasm”. The new material I haven’t been able to hear yet, but I highly recommend on purchasing the CD, Ascendancy, and if you’re not a metal fan just give it a shot. You never know, and not all there material is straight screaming. Every song as a non-screaming chorus, and the song “Dying In Your Arms” as only about two screaming lines in the entire song. This band deserves much more credit and highly deserves much more fans. Give “Trivium” the one chance they deserve, and from my opinion I highly recommend the songs “Dying In Your Arms”, “Ascendancy”, “Pull Harder On The Strings Of Your Martyr”, “Like Light To Flies”, and “A Gunshot To The Head Of Trepidation”. Give this amazing band what they deserve, your support.

anonymous said...
Metalcore was not around in the 80's or 90's