Alanis Morissette | Teen Ink

Alanis Morissette MAG

Last year, it was Sheryl Crow as the "Rookie of the Year." This year, another female vocalist, who ironically is beautiful, young, and vocally aggressive, much like Crow, has emerged from nowhere and is now wanted everywhere. I am talking, of course, about Alanis Morissette, an angry young woman with a few stories to tell anyone who cares to listen. With a combination of angry lyrics but songs that leave you humming, Alanis is, most likely, the rookie of 1996.

She started singing in the late '80s, but her first album did not achieve nearly as much as her latest "Jagged Little Pill." On her tour, she not only talks to the audience in between songs, but the title of the concert, "Intellectual Intercourse" preaches safe sex, and, not oddly, the kids listen to her more than to parents.

The concert, although short, was well worth the money. The opening band, Loud Lucy, weren't all that bad, but their set was almost as long as Alanis'. They were on for 30 minutes, followed by a 30-minute break to set the stage for Ms. Morissette, who then she performed for approximately an hour and fifteen minutes.

The music was loud, but energy-packed, as she sang songs from "Jagged Little Pill," her first album, and a new song, entitled, "I Have No Idea What The Name Of This Song Is (Save It For The Weekend)." Seriously, and to be honest, it wasn't that bad. I believe she's already working on another album which will feature that song. In addition, she went crazy on the electrical guitar, blew like mad on her trademark harmonica, and ran and jumped all over the stage.

In total, Alanis gives a great show, and whether she's singing about what she thinks is ironic, or if she's singing about what I oughta know, what I do know is that Alanis has made a name for herself in the history of rock and roll, and she will continue to be so for a long to come