Hands All Over by Maroon 5 | Teen Ink

Hands All Over by Maroon 5

By esn0622 GOLD, Fair Lawn, New Jersey
esn0622 GOLD, Fair Lawn, New Jersey

I can’t name one person who hasn’t had Maroon 5’s addictive single “Misery” stuck in their head at least once. For a vengeful song, it sure is catchy. In fact, lead singer Adam Levine doesn’t sound too miserable at all. Maroon 5’s glossy, funky pop is back with their most recent album, Hands All Over, released on September 21, 2010 by A&M/Octone Records. The highly polished songs of this album lack the sincerity and soul of their earlier works, especially those of their first album, Songs About Jane. Although the eclectic mixture of powerpop and funk is entertaining, what made Maroon 5 Maroon 5—the jazzy, soulful, sensual feel—seems to be missing. The music was certainly enjoyable to listen to, especially the rocking “Stutter,” heartfelt “How,” and motown-esque “Don’t Know Nothing,” but they are all cut from the same cookie cutter: bland, catchy pop built for super-sized speakers. Their interesting roots are obliterated as they try to make music fit for a nightclub. However, despite veering from their past style, this album does contain quality music definitely worth listening to, especially if you’re in the mood for catchy hooks and fun melodies. They’ll be playing in your head all day. Adam Levine may claim to “live in misery,” but the bright, poppy chords of his music can’t help but make your day a little bit less miserable.

Download: “Stutter” and “Don’t Know Nothing”

Maroon 5 has always been one of my favorite bands. Writing a review seemed like a natural progression of being an honest fan.

Eyelash said...
Well first, I just want to say that I love Adam Levine. His voice is so much different that every other male singer. It has a certain edge to it. I love this album. It has some of my favorite songs on it. I love their song "Never Gonna Leave This Bed". They are a great band that has an awesome sound. They also have great, creative videos.