Judas by Lady Gaga | Teen Ink

Judas by Lady Gaga

April 24, 2011
By JamesBLaurie SILVER, Montreal, Other
JamesBLaurie SILVER, Montreal, Other
6 articles 2 photos 17 comments

Favorite Quote:
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing - Benjamin Franklin


It is likely that you’ve heard something about the song ‘Judas’ by Lady Gaga. Since its release on April 15th, it has received nearly 10 million YouTube views as well as immense criticism and hate. Has Gaga, international pop superstar and charts dominator, lost her touch? (No!)

Judas will be among twelve confirmed songs to be featured in Gaga’s new album Born This Way (May 23rd) which has already received negative attention for its cover art—a motorcycle combined with Gaga’s head and limbs—which is said to “look […] more like a cheap Photoshop job than the most anticipated album of the year.” While the title track Born This Way was compared heavily to Madonna’s song ‘Express Yourself’, it has received 40.6 million views online and has maintained celebrity status on chart listings worldwide.

As Judas’ title suggests, the song has heavy biblical metaphors—Judas was said to be the one to betray Jesus in the New Testament. The song is about Gaga loving a man who has betrayed her many times; he is bad for her. Gaga has stated that the song is about ‘honoring your darkness in order to bring yourself into the light.”

This article really boils down to whether or not the song is good. In my opinion, the answer is a resounding YES! It has a steady dance beat that is great for partying to, but the lyrics themselves are quite deep. There’s a message we can all relate to, because sometimes we love someone despite the fact that they don’t treat us well. The chorus lyrics (“I’m just a holy fool, oh baby he’s so cruel/but I’m still in love with Judas, baby.”) heavily emphasize this point.

So I suggest you seek out this song on YouTube. I guarantee that, no matter you preconceived opinion of Gaga, you will listen to the song until you know the lyrics off by heart. And remember to not be cruel, because Gaga was born this way!