China's Character Songs by Yuki Kaida | Teen Ink

China's Character Songs by Yuki Kaida

By hyperactivemayfly PLATINUM, Arlington Heights, Illinois
hyperactivemayfly PLATINUM, Arlington Heights, Illinois

"Un ange frappe a ma porte
Est-ce que je le laisse entrer
Ce n'est pas toujours ma faute
Si les choses sont cassées
Le diable frappe a ma porte
Il demande a me parler
Il y a en moi toujours l'autre
Attiré par le danger"

I, personally, am a fan of anime. Therefore, it should not come as a surprise that I love the character songs of people from the anime. The whole point of the Hetalia series (to sum it up in a sentence, so this doesn’t get too confusing,) is about personifications of countries and how they interact. The corporates have expanded this into a huge fan base, including songs sung by the characters, about themselves. Even though they’re in Japanese, a language I am –unfortunately- not fluent in, they are still the most listened to songs in my iTunes library. I love them all, but the most recent two caught my attention. China’s songs. They hold a different feel than the others, something that speaks of ages past and the triumphs of a nation that still holds power today. It sounds silly, I know, but the smooth flow and the beauty of the words- foreign as they are- moves me in a way I have never felt before. The first one, (roughly translated into English,) is titled ‘Aiyah, 4,000 Years.’ It is the softer of the two, the one that is truly a song of an empire stretching across miles of land and holding thousands- nay, millions- of hearts. It strikes a chord within; makes you wish you were around to see China in the height of its’ ancient glory. When you close your eyes, listening to it, you can see in your mind’s eye dragons swooping across a cerulean sky, beautiful silk robes and a culture unrivaled by any other. ‘Hello China,’ the other song, is more upbeat. To me, it is how China is today. A bustling nation, but not without flavors of the past. Maybe a land with issues, but ones that will be overcome with time, like everything else. This song holds respect for what China once was, pride for what China is today and hope for what it will be tomorrow. These songs are, in my opinion, better than some of the trash on the radio today, and well worth listening to (they are, in fact, on YouTube) even if you are not fluent in Japanese. I can only wish this magical music touches your heartstrings like it has mine.

Alright, this is my first music review, so please don't totally hate it! Any and all flames will be used to heat Mrs. Lovitt's oven!!

Safeleo said...
Safeleo, Iwakuni, Other

"Looking up into the night sky is like looking into infinity - the distance is incomprehensible and therefore meaningless."
-Douglas Adams

LOVE HETALIA AND ALL THE CHARACTER SONGS ARE EPIC! I also have a bunch of them on my I-pod.

Ember123 GOLD said...
Ember123 GOLD, Moore, Oklahoma

"A word to the wise ain't necessary;it's the stupid ones who need the advise." -Bill Cosby

Love Hetalia as well~ I do get that sense of movement actually,but with Spain's songs.I completely understand what you mean by it though.

HetaliaEnglandX3 BRONZE, Rogers, Arkansas

"I see. So this is the truth...behind truths." -Edward Elric

I love Hetalia so much!!

StarGazer453 SILVER, Somewhere In A State, Massachusetts

A room without books is like a body without a soul. ~Cicero
My best friend is someone who gives me a book I have not yet read. ~President Abraham Lincoln
The one who smiles when things go wrong has thought if someone to blame it on. ~Robert Bloch

OMG I love Hetalia!  Are you on fanfiction.net?  There's a ton of really good pieces of writing there, with any and every pairing you think of!

MechaJesus said...
MechaJesus, Aylmer, Other

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Marukaite chikyuu, marukaite chikyuu, marukaite chikyuu, boku Hetalia. ;D