Brahmin Bulls | Teen Ink

Brahmin Bulls

By AnubhutiKumar PLATINUM, New York, New York
AnubhutiKumar PLATINUM, New York, New York

This refreshing and honest peek into the relationship of a father and son brings the perfect balance of smiles, watery eyes, laughs, and heartfelt scenes. Brahmin Bulls, directed by Mahesh Pailoor, manages to balance poignant, raw, and realistic moments in the lives of these two men with the light-hearted and enjoyable moments that make up life.

This story follows a father, Alok Sharma played by Roshan Seth,  who visits his son, Sid played by  Sendhil Ramamurthy on the other side of the country, a son who he has not spoken to in a long while and attend a conference. This visit though is not just a gesture of reconciliation, Alok also has plans to reconnect with an old flame.

Sid, an idealistic architect, dealing with his own problems, facing a divorce and conflict at work, is shocked to find his father on his front porch one evening. Sid is hesitant at first to let his father into his life, but as time passes walls break down.

As this visit is chronicled throughout this movie, one of the most appealing aspects is the raw honesty of the relationship and interactions between the father and son. The conflict and resentment between them is addressed quietly and realistically. Rather than harsh aggression, these negative feelings are made obvious through the awkwardness in their interactions and avoidance in communication and contact. This seems a more realistic view of how a parent and child would respond to each other and it makes the film all the more touching and resonant.

Acts of caring, thoughtfulness, and love break up the tension filled moments. These moments help create a full picture of the nuances in the relationship. The perfect example of one of these endearing moments was when Alok, in an effort to take Sid's mind off his divorce, takes him out and serves as his wingman.

A laugh out loud moment takes place towards the middle of the film where Alok innocently buys drinks for and flirts/talks up his son to two girls Sid's age, to the appalled embarrassment of Sid. This highlight stood out and demonstrates how through all the superficial conflict and more major mistakes, these characters truly just care about each other's well being. It serves as a testament to director Pailoor's, a graduate of New York University's Tisch School of the Arts, ability to depict the raw realism of this delicate relationship and the actors talent and chemistry.

This subtle narration of a relatable experience will touch the hearts of every audience. It perfectly depicts all the different parts of the lives the characters are juggling and of which they make an effort to make the best. The poignant universality of the main relationship and strong emotional connect leave the audience provoked and reflecting, making it a travesty to miss Brahmin Bulls.