The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug | Teen Ink

The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug

By bellamadeleine BRONZE, Glendale, Arizona
bellamadeleine BRONZE, Glendale, Arizona

If This Is to End in Fire, Then We Will All Burn Together

Fantasy movies are immensely popular among all age groups. They are used as a way to escape a typical, mundane life. The whimsical concept of the impossible pleases movie-watchers. Fantasy movies stretch our imaginations to deeper consider the unknown and even contemplate the possibility of the worlds we watch on the big screen being real. What if magic and flying were real? What if you could live in a world where such things were possible?
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug is a prime example of a fantasy film. How much more eccentric can you get than dwarves, hobbits, elves, orcs, and wizards? The creation of Middle-earth, the realm presented in The Hobbit, took a minimum of 38 years to create. The magical, well-thought-out universe has every viewer wishing they could visit; many fans even wish they could live there forever, completely losing their memory of reality.
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug, the second of three films based off the classic novel The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien continues on the adventure of Bilbo Baggins, Gandalf the Grey, and the Company of thirteen dwarves led by Thorin Oakenshield to reclaim Erebor from the dragon Smaug the Terrible. They continue on their quest battling trolls, spiders, orcs, and elves, eventually being captured by the Elven King of the Woodland realm Thranduil. After the action-packed barrel escape, Bard the Bowman acted as their smuggler to get Bilbo and the dwarves into Lake-town. Once there, they were able to win over the hearts and minds of the Lake-towners, who all except Bard seem to have forgotten the end of the legendary prophecy of the King under the Mountain: “All shall fail in sadness, and the Lake will shine and burn.”
Although many long-term Tolkienites were livid by the dramatic changes, overall, The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug was an incredible film. Peter Jackson’s extreme and surprising changes, such as the love-sick Legolas and the never before mentioned ginger elf Tauriel, added the perfect amount of flair to the original storyline. The changes incorporated different sub-genres, widening the audience while still keeping fantasy-enthusiasts interested. The romance aspect appealed a great deal to teenagers, specifically females. Tauriel, the only female role aside from the few scenes with Galadriel, gave women of all ages a character to connect with by portraying a strong, independent Elven warrior and healer. Every cast member was able to perfectly depict their character, adding the ideal amount personality and growth. I was extremely pleased with the film and would not change anything about it.