Les Miserables | Teen Ink

Les Miserables

By goldmansharone GOLD, Boulder, Colorado
goldmansharone GOLD, Boulder, Colorado

A different world cannot be built by indifferent people
What a miserable thing life is: you're living in clover, only the clover isn't good enough.
You'll never shine if you don't glow.
Selfishness is a horrible trait.

There is so much to be said about the message of Les Miserables. So much I can't even put into words. I found it so relatable. So touching. So timeless. So timely!

I am going to write a little bit about my Les Miserables experience. I just need to sort out my thoughts, since the music has been such a constant in my recent life. Since I've thought about the story every single day since watching the movie.

I saw the musical for the first time Freshman year in high school, when the arts department put it on. I had bad seats. I had never been to a musical before. It was the first time I had heard of Les Mis. I don't really recall that experience. I was trying to understand the plot and the lyrics. I didn't have time to appreciate it.

Then, a few months ago, upon hearing about Tom Hooper's movie, I was completely drawn in. The King's Speech was one of my favorite movies. Besides, the cast was incredible. Anything with Helena Bonham Carter was something worth seeing. The more I watched the previews, the more excited I got.

I went a few days after the premiere with my cousins. I expected it to be amazing. I had listened to the music days before, and was planning to be blown away. I did not, however, plan to be reduced to tears.
By the time it ended, I was bawling.

I think these are the reasons why:

God's unconditional love. I am turned off spiritually when religious institutions make proclamations about who God loves and who God hates . I am completely drawn to religion when the idea his mercy and love, no matter who, is presented. When Jean Valjean reflects on how the bishop told him "that I have a soul/ how does he know?/ what spirit came to move my life?" the message about everyone having a soul- innate goodness, no matter how clouded- was touching. I don't necessarily believe it, but it was refreshing to have that idea expressed so emotionally. Here, Valjean, who stole from the Bishop, is still being told that God looks out for him.

Also, in the end of the musical, it is shown that Fantine went to Heaven. Fantine was a prostitute. She sold herself. Who would believe that she was deserving of salvation? Les Miserables shows that God saw her as equal. He saw her soul as worthy. It's was touching to see her leading Valjean to the afterlife. She was a prostitute, yes, but she did it out of selflessness to save her daughter. It really spoke to me to have religion be associated not with damning thieves and prostitutes, but as seeing them as victims and, ultimately, saving them.

When I heard "Empty Chairs and Empty Tables", I kept thinking about the Newtown shooting. When Marius sung, "There's a grief that can't be spoken/ there's a pain goes on and on" it was the first time words were put to how devastated I felt about the tragedy. The shooting happened just a week before I watched the movie. The horrific current event coupled with such an intense, emotional song was important to me. It helped be find a way to express how I felt.

You can connect with so many characters. I found that I connect with a different one each time I watch the movie. The first time, I was completely drawn to Jean Valjean. He was so tormented and treated unfairly. But he stopped blaming the world. He took accountability. He changed his life. He went from denying who he was to being proud about his identity. His journey, though unlike any other, is something I feel like many can relate to. The second time I watched the film, I could not stop thinking of Eponine. I felt for her so strongly. I really, really wanted her to find true love before her death. I was crushed when it didn't happen. Fantine's struggle was also incredibly moving. She gave everything she had for her daughter, Cosette. She sold her hair, her teeth, and, eventually, her body. When she sings about blissful youth and destroyed dreams, I thought about getting older. Of course, my future isn't bleak or tragic. Yet, I am becoming realistic about pursuing what I like versus what I really should pursue. I can even relate to Javer! He was a stickler for the law. Kind of like me. I love order. I can understand the need to sort things into groups. I understand the draw to defining the world by good and evil. I don't commend it. But I feel for him. I know where he is coming from. I plan on writing more about this in a later post.
The idea of people's resilience. In the closing of the musical, the ghosts of all those who sacrificed their lives to fight for equality sing, "For the wretched of the Earth/ there is a flame that never dies/ even the darkest night will end and the sun will rise!" It's about not giving up. Staying strong. Believing. And fighting for what you believe in, even if you will lose. I love that idea.

The ongoing fight. The wrestling of how much you do for yourself versus how much you do for to others. The question of how much you do for your country versus how much you do for individuals. The struggle of how far you should go to defend your beliefs. I think most of all of Marius. He betrayed his wealthy bourgeois family to fight for equality. Then, he very nearly betrayed that fight for love. This ongoing internal and external struggle regarding duties- personal, romantic, communal, and national- is reminiscent to this day.

The complexity of the characters. I think what most stood out was Jean Valjean's unconditional kindness. Typically, characters who are perfect and nice tend to annoy me. But Valjean wasn't perfect. He ignored Fantine when she was being thrown out of work. He knew he could never truly make up for what he did. Yet, he led the rest of his life as a just, honest, and good, good man. How human he was, and how hard he tried to be the best person he could be, was inspiring.

There is more. I have given Les Miserables much thought because never before have I felt so thoroughly connected to a franchise. I can't even voice all the reasons why. But this film- and, ultimately, the musical as a whole- spoke to me so completely I had to write about it.

Next step? Tackling Victor Hugo's massive book.