It's Kind of a Funny Story | Teen Ink

It's Kind of a Funny Story

April 2, 2011
By TheJust ELITE, Ellenton, Florida
TheJust ELITE, Ellenton, Florida
254 articles 202 photos 945 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I feel that a hero is somebody who will stand up for their values and what they believe in and that can take any form. People that have values and have thought them through rather than those who just do what they’re told."-Skandar Keynes

"When it’


If I had to tell you about this film in one sentence it would be, “This is the most depressing comedy you will ever see.”

And now that I've said that, I must reassure that you don't take that in the wrong way. In fact, I enjoyed this film more than the many others that my sister and her friends have forced me to sit through; much more. I laughed so hard I almost started crying. (I think I did once or twice.) It's an humorous, awkward teen film which made my best friend officially hate teenage boys with their confused, raging hormones. But It's Kind of a Funny Story isn't a comedy to be compared with those that are comedies simply for comedy's sake. Whenever you laugh, it's because you realize how pitiful and melancholic the joke truly is. It's a dry humor comedy, where nothing you laugh at is ever meant to be taken as a joke, but in all seriousness.

“I was feeling kind of bad earlier, but I'm feeling much better now and I'd like to go home.”

Craig should be in school; it's Monday. But actually, he's at 3 North, a psych ward he accidentally admitted himself into, and now he has to stay for a minimum of five days (no more than thirty).

It's Kind of a Funny Story is about a boy battling the depression most teens go through at least once during adolescence. Craig has thought about suicide several times—in fact, this is where we first meet him—but his problem is that he can't think of anything really wrong with his life to warrant suicide. This is the reason he finds himself in 3 North.

Many people have said that this film promotes teen depression, suicide and the taking of anti-depressants, but I completely disagree. It's Kind of a Funny Story teaches teens that our problems and the issues we face are never as bad as we try to make them. All teens go through a point where they think that their life is horrible, but this film shows one boy, who battles this normal depression, entering a world where everyone has issues and problems. He learns that his problems are not as bad as he once thought, and that maybe “sometimes what's in your head isn't as crazy as you think.” This film shows a boy learning about his life through the eyes of those who the world considers abnormal.

This film is one of the best comedies so far this year. If one or two scenes had been eliminated or altered, and few words deleted, I would probably have found myself recommending It's Kind of a Funny Story to everyone.

My problem with the language is not the fact that it's there, but the fact that it ruins several scenes. Several times during a powerful scene, a cuss word, which had been slipped into the dialogue, would rip your focus from the scene and place the emphasis on the word itself.

Also, I had an issue with the relationship between Craig and his friends. On the surface, it seems that this film taught a good lesson on friendship; but when you really stop and think about it, Craig's relationship with his friends is incredibly unhealthy. He allows them to walk on top of him. He's a pushover. I didn't feel like this would change even though Aaron apologized.

I also felt that the film makes normal teen depression into more of a consummate problem than it is. I am not saying that they endorsed suicide or depression in anyway, only that they make it seem more commonplace when in reality it is not.

This film is not horrible; even though it is depressing, you'll find yourself laughing out loud. It may seem that I have many issues with the film, but in reality I don't. This film is amazing for teens. There is a point to it all (surprisingly enough in a comedy) and is heart-felt. You'll find yourself wishing that you could spend just one day in 3 North, learning to not take life too seriously and to just be yourself.